Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I have a date......a surgery date!!!!  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
I have a date......a surgery date!!!!
« on: October 01, 2003, 04:56:57 PM »
Oh Gosh, it seems like I have been gone forever! Well I have only been gone like a week and I have so much to tell everyone. First, I am all moved in and I love my new place! I hate, oh wait I should say HATE moving! Keegan was gone so I did most of it, and wilth this knee it was not pretty. But everything is done and now it's just a matter of unpacking. Last week was major Kitty drama! I have two kitties that are my babies. Well one of them has always been feral and nevr really wanted to be a domestic cat, I just pretended that she loved me, but she really just put up with me. But when we were moving she got out, and never came home. I guess she just wanted to be free and go party it up with all the other wild kitties?! So that was very sad. Berkley my other kitty is handleing the move okay. She was attacked by a coyote last week(I know, it was aweful) so she is still recovering from that. I walked out right at the perfect time to scare the coyote away. Anyways, I am going to get her a kitten so she will have a play buddy.
Okay, now for my knee. I had my reading on Monday. He said that my knee lookes like I am 60. Thanks!!! So I am all scheduled for my TTT on Oct 29. I will be in the hospital minimum of 2 days and then I am back home. I took two weeks off but I can always take more if I need too. I am sooooo not looking forward to this but all in all I am more anxious. I almost can't believe that I am having surgery again....what the h** am I thinking?
So, I have my pre op on the 20th and I will have a meeting with the anesthesiologist(sp, like that is a hard enough word to spell) to discuss my options. As you know I have been worried about having a general so my OS thought it would be best to set up a apt. He thinks it will be no problem to have a epidural. Not normal for this surgery, but not a problem. Now I am just working on my quad to get it as strong a s possible pre op. So Emily,Paige and all you other October surgery people, now I am offically one of you!
AND then, he told me that I have a fracturesd hip! What?, you say, I know I said the same thing! It has never hurt before but I do get a bit of aching sometimes. He said that I probably did it when I was a kid somehow. I guess it was skiing. I used to love to launch myself of cliffs not knowing what I might land on! AHH, the good 'ol days!
So thats what has been happedning with me. I missed you all so much, and I am so glad to be back. I look forward to talking to you all again.
Jennie~ Loving the new job? I hope so! I am so golad to hear that you are getting your life back. Talk to you soon
EMILY~My Emily, I missed you too. I am so sorry I have been gone, I was just so busy. How are you feeling? nervous yet? I will talk to you soon on IM...
Paige~ You are so welcome! I hope that you get some good use from the cryo. How are you feeling?

Sorry so long everyone...okay I am done now! Talk to you all soon~Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline Happycructchchck

• Regular Poster
Re: I have a date......a surgery date!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 05:09:55 PM »
Welcome to the October Surgery Club - what a fun club to join!  I'm more baffled that you will be in the hospital on Halloween as it is one of my favorites - I'm even dressing up my doggie since I don't have kids but I just ordered a digital camera so I'll be able to get some pictures out.

I'm sorry you had to move - alone - moving is bad anyway, but alone with a bum knee is not fun and your poor kitty.  We'll just hope that she is off living it up in the wild kingdom even though she just didn't know how good she had it at home!

I bet you are a little anxious about the surgery - it doesn't seem to matter how many times you have gone through it - it is just unsettling!  I got the information in the mail for mine since it is outpatient yesterday and I was kind of sick to my stomach at that point - REALITY.

We'll be rooting for you and you can expect a care package of goodies for your hospital stay!

Glad you are back and safely move.  Thanks again for the Cyro Cuff - if looks great!!

Love,
Paige
RT Tibial Plateau Fracture 5/6/03, 5 pins & 2 plates
Arthroscopy & Manipulation 10/10/03
ROM - Able to bend to 110 with very hard work- still a lot of pain at fracture site
ACL damage also

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 06:36:02 PM »
What a hectic time! Moving alone with knee problems. I hope you're settled in somewhat. Good luck on your surgery and don't try to rush back to work to soon.
Take care, Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 08:09:59 PM »
Gosh what a month you have planned- hope the surgery goes well- best of luck
Iona

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 09:08:05 PM »
Jillian-

Welcome to the October surgery club!!!!!!!  Just kidding, it is really great to have you back.  We were a bit worried about you while you were gone.

I am assuming that since you now have a date that your bone scan results must have been OK.  Thank goodness!!!!

I asked my OS about being awake for my TTT and stuff and he told me that eventhough it is unusual, there would be no problem with it.  We are either going to do a spinal or epidural and a femoral nerve block.  He also said that he would make sure that the anesthesieologist didn't give me anything to knock me out so that I could talk to him during the op and he could explain to me what he is doing.

Since my op is on the 22nd.  I will try to let you know how it was being awake.

Talk to you later-
Heather G.
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 09:24:59 PM »
Heather,
   Thank you for worrying about me. I was going through kneegeek withdrawls!!! I was sooo busy!
The wierd thing: when we went over my scan, we found a hair line fracture on my femur! That would explain a few things! But since it doesn't bother me to bad, we are going to leave it alone. He thinks that I did it when I was a kid and I didn't even know it.... But it does get achy so I can blame that on this break. Weird huh?
Larry, Iona and Paige thank you for your thoughts.
I am a bit nervous because there is so much to do to prepare but all in all I think I am okay. I am counting on my October surgery club to fill me in! I want all the deatils... Keegan said that I could borrow his lap top so I may write you all from the hospital. Trick or Treat???!!! I can't believe that I may be in on Halloween! Oh well, I hope they give me candy!!! Thanks again.....Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 08:28:03 AM »
Jillian,

Hey there!  I've been gone a while too. No where special though just feeling sorry for myself.  Sorry to hear that your knee looks much older than you, that hurts to hear I bet.  I'm glad you have a surgery date scheduled.  Not sure if you can dial up from the hospital, but you can try  ;) I doubt you'll be feeling up to it.

I hope your stay isn't that long in the hospital, but let me tell you, I wish I stayed the extra day.  I only stayed one night.  When they took away my morphine drip the  day after surgery I was in a lot of discomfort. Only because the drip hits you immediately and they gave me my pills after they disconnected so I had a lapse there.  Also my first few nights home getting up in the night to go to the bathroom was torture with the blood rushing down the leg.

Here's a suggestion....scoop on your butt to get there to avoid it.  I ended up doing that. My husband thought I was nuts.  It was like the longer I was off it the more painful it was when I finally got up.  I couldn't take it so I just scooted everywhere. After the first couple of days it doesn't do it anymore. It could have been just me but thought I'd share that just in case....lol.  

I see the OS for my 6 week post op on the 13th of October so I'll be all up to date on post op protocol for you!  Hopefully I'll be done with the crutches by then but ssssshh! Don't tell. I hobble along in the house without them sometimes.  Non-compliance will get you no where...do NOT do that when you get home.  

I'm glad you're all moved.  Might want to hit that unpacking full force as you wont be wanting to do that after the surgery.  I did a BIG cleaning before my surgery...kind of like a Spring cleaning so I wouldn't be tempted to do too much when I got home.  I hope Keegan will be there  to take care of you too. You'll need it.  Let him baby you, you deserve it.

Heather
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 04:50:01 PM »
Heather,
   Thank you for all your advice. I scooted too! It does work, your right. As for the cleaning, I am BAD about that. I think I have a bit of a cleaning disorder. Keegan says I have a addiction to cleaning products!! Whatever! So I plan on doing the big cleaning prior to surgery, that way he won't be tempted to try and clean. I probably wont be able to dial up your right, but I will be able to watch a movie or two. Last time I was on the drip I felt so good I was up and talking and really didn't sleep that much. So I hope I am that with it this time.
Keegan is on another fire but hopefully only until Saturday. So when he gets home we will get everything unpacked so I will be all ready to go. We set upa bed downstsirs so I can sleep alone. He likes to snuggle and sleep RIGHT next to me so it's better if we are apart right after surgery. Plus I am so not attempting stairs!!!!
I am getting a new kitten on Sunday! I think I may name her Lucy!!! Berkley, the other kitty needs a pal to play with her when I am laid up! So that is exctiing.
Keegan will be great! He has always taken very good care of me when I have had surgery. I am a bit worried though. He may not be able to take a couple days off to stay with me so I may stay with my parents so I can have a bit of help those first couple days. I AM SO SCARED!!! I think I am just freaking myself out though. I am more worried about the blood rush horror stories more  than the pain. I have always been really good with my pain management so I hope it works this time.
I have my pre op on the 20th so I will probably have a list of questions for you before that, that I want to ask. Good luck at your apt and I hope that you get great news(or at least not any bad). And don't worry your cheating with your crutches secret is safe with me.....Talk to you soon, Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 06:00:24 PM »
Jillian,

I by NO means meant to scare you about the blood rush 'horror story'!  Like I said it could have been just me. I had it with my quad repair too, so as I've thought for years, I'm a freak of nature.  But now that I think about it....I had the quad repair totally redone again so maybe that was it again. Make sense?  It may have had nothing to do with the TTT at all.

About your kittten. Make sure where you stay he can come. They don't like to be alone for any length of time. Or at least make sure someone can check on him/her for you. I had gotten a kitten recently but couldn't keep him due the the demand for attention he presented me with and these crutches and al.   Also I wouldn't have been able to get him his shots being unable to drive and my husband has taken off enough with this surgery. I didn't get to keep the kitten  ;) When I'm better I'm getting another one though.

As far as surgery questions, ask away!  I'll be here.  Now go clean.....neat freak! LOL!

Heather
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 06:13:23 PM »
Heather, you are so silly!!! I am hoping that in the three weeks that I have the kitten prior to surgery she will become independent. I have another kitty so I hope that they make nice! They better! And Keegan will be home so I am sure that it will be okay. Thats terrible that you had to give your kitty away....oh the kitty drama! Did she get to go to a good home? I hope so!
And you didn't scare me, EVERYONE has mentioned the blood rush, so it's not just you, you nature freak! I am sure I will have it to~
I think as far as the surgery goes I am okay. Well as okay as I am going to be. I am more worried about the recovery and post op. Driving is huge for me and I am worried about that. Pain and going back to work to soon. You know all the regular worries. Plus I am terrified about getting another STAPH infection.....soooo as soon as I can think of some more I will ask. Thank you for all your help and your sillyness....it makes me happy!!!       Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2003, 05:14:12 AM »
Jillian,

I was meaning to respond earlier but have had one of those weeks and haven't been on too much. Anyway, I'm so glad to hear that you got your surgery date. That's great-even if you may have to be in the hospital on Halloween. Oh well, maybe they will give you some candy! Don't worry too much about the "dreaded" blood rush-it probably will happen with the TTT but just make sure you get up slowly and it won't be too bad. I found the best thing to do was to sit up a little at a time and put the TTT leg down a little at a time until before I knew it, it was on the floor. Don't worry too much about that-you're going to be just fine! Congrats on the new kitten-I'm sure that will definitely be a big help in your recovery to have a new kitty to snuggle with :) Let Keegan take great care of you and make sure to get lots of rest after the surgery!!

:)
Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2003, 04:41:11 PM »
Sharon,
   Thank you~ I hope that you get to felling better, I am always thinking about you. I do feel relieved, but at this point I am just anxious. I am sure that it will all be okay(praying !!!) I am very very excited about my kitty! Berkley will be soooo excited to have a new pal to play with. She needs a new friend. Keegan is on ANOTHER fire right now so he way owes me! He will take good care of me, he always does.
As for you....I know that you have been going through alot and I can't possibly imagine it all but just know that you are in my prayers and I am thinking about you~
I have my pre op on the 20th so if I have any more infor I will pass it along then, thanks again....Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT

SL99

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2003, 02:18:07 AM »
Hi Jillian,

I know I've already spoken to you Darl but I just wanted to wish you luck for your surgery again - you can never have too many good luck hugs and vibes!

Thinking of you and hoping that this is a big step forwrad in solving your pain and problems Darl. Here's hoping that the skies are getting a lot brighter for you from here on in Sweetie!  ;D

Love and hugs....Jo
xxx