Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What could this be?  (Read 1471 times)

SL99

What could this be?
« on: October 01, 2003, 04:04:33 PM »
I'm after some advice on a new injury to my right knee please. I injured it a couple of weeks ago, feeling like something twanged or snapped and having some pain and swelling afterwards. It ached on and off for awhile but nothing too major really and with all of my other joints paying up I guess it just merged in with my normal pain.

Sadly though yesterday it let go on me completely by buckling under me with a pop and pain that was completely different to my usual dislocation/subluxation experiences. When I looked at my knee though there was a large soft tissue type of bulge at the bottom medial edge of my kneecap. I popped it back in but it's been bothering me since, being tender to touch at the point the bulge appeared and the surrounding area, constantly throbbing and stabbingly painful on weight bearing and bending. I am really bemused by this and more than a little scared too as any problem with my right leg is a disaster for me with the situation of my duff left leg.  :-/

I'm going to call my knee OS and try to see her about this and just hope that I don't have to go none weight bearing or need surgery on it. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? Is is possible it could be a meniscus injury? I'm afraid that although I know heaps about dislocations and ligaments etc I'm a little lost when it comes to this type of thing. Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

Love and hugs....Jo
xxx
« Last Edit: October 01, 2003, 04:05:30 PM by SL99 »

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Someday
Re: What could this be?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 06:39:44 PM »
I'm sorry I can't offer any insight on this, Jo. I just wanted to add my sympathy for your latest health situation. I hope you get good news from yor doctor and this heals soon. Take care, Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 08:09:02 PM »
Hi Jo
What ARE we going to do with you  :o! LoL (((Jo)))
It could be a cartilidge or cruciate problem or it could something else altogether but get it checked hun.

Iona

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 08:32:11 PM »
OH MY GOSH~
    What is right?! I agree that you should get it checked out. I wish you the best of luck and I do hope you get a answer. Just one thing after another huh? I can relate....I 'll be thinking about you, Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 12:18:11 AM »
This is the same feeling that I had when I injured my lateral meniscus- right knee.  It was during a softball game.  After I hit the ball, I took off to first base, and although my torso turned to run, my right leg stayed put.  I felt the snappy/twangy, rubber band like popping and fell flat on my face on the softball field.

Found out 4 weeks later that I had injured the lateral meniscus.  During the arthroscopy, my OS found that the meniscus had torn away and he put 3 anchors in it.  He also found a plica which he removed.  He said that I had probably always had the plica as it is basically "left over/extra" fetal tissue that remains after birth and developement, but it became inflamed from the fall.

I do hope that all goes well and you can get relief!!

ozzybug
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

SL99

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 03:17:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, I really am puzzled by this one!  ??? Trust me huh?! I've been trying to get hold of my knee OS all afternoon but there's no one in the office today - I intend trying again first thing in the morning though. You're right I do need to get this checked as I simply can't afford to take a chance the way things are.

I'll let you know how I go when I finally get through to the OS. Fingers crossed I can see her soon and that it's nothing serious... although knowing my luck this year it's likely to be something requiring surgery or odd enough to have everyone in the hospital oohing and ahhing at me again!  ::)

Thanks again guys, hope you are having good knees days.  :)

Love and hugs....Jo
xxx

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 03:22:49 AM »
Jo
You mind and get it checked because we worry about you and we'll only nag you til you do but it's only because we care.

(((((JO))))
Iona

Helen_uk

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 03:25:10 AM »
Hi jo sounds to me like your meniscus dislocated but get it checked by your os
Sorry i cant be of more help but I am hassarding a guess that that is what it is.
H xxx

SL99

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 03:37:44 AM »
LoL - I promise to ring first thing Iona - If just to save you hvaing to nag me! ;) Thanks for caring though Sweetie.

Helen - I've been thinking along the lines of meniscus too. Thanks for your help and again for caring.

I'll keep you posted  on what happens I promise.  :)

Love and hugs....Jo
xxx

SL99

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 05:35:34 PM »
I finally got through to my knee OS office this afternoon to make an appointment about this right knee issue - that the good news. The bad newsis that I may have to wait until the end of November or beginning of December to see her.  :(

They're going to send an appointment in the post so please keep your fingers crossed that they find a cancellation and I'm able to see her sooner as the idea of hobbling around on this knee doing more damage as I have to rely on it is scaring me somewhat.

I'll let you know when I get the appointment date through. Thanks again for listening and your advice/support.

Love and hugs....Jo
xxx
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 05:36:34 PM by SL99 »