Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I just don't know...  (Read 1509 times)

Offline shellyhead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I just don't know...
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:33:40 PM »
I am going to try this question here since there were no responses from the other forum I tried.  Less than 3 years ago I was skiing and fell.  The bindings failed to release when I fell and I proceded to twist my knee.  There was a loud popping noise.  If felt okay at first but as the day went on it stiffened up and I could barely bend it.  The following day I went to urgent care and the doctor said it was a sprain and nothing serious.  I felt a slight catching in the posterior portion of my knee for a couple of days and then after two weeks I was fine.  Fast forward to the present...I started doing more intense exercise (Biggest Loser DVD) to lose some weight and I did this for about a week in February.  Ever since then my knee hurts.  I have pain (burning) on the posterior lateral side of my knee, and pain behind the kneecap kind of in the middle.  The burning pain is extending down my calf and up my thigh.  After sitting cross legged on the floor I get a sharp pain in the middle portion of my knee while trying to stand up.  I would say its at its worst right now.  I have an appointment with my GP next week and I would like to come armed with some sort of information so he will actually help me, not send me away without even trying to find an answer. Which of course has happened too many times.  I have taken ibuprofen for the pain today and have it wrapped up and it is definitely not helping.  I definitely have my own theories but would appreciate any input.  Thanks in advance!

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: I just don't know...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 04:39:13 PM »
Could be a lot of things that happened when you fell.  Ask your GP to refer you to an ortho.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 04:51:53 PM »
A pain diary may help your GP or OS zero in on the problem.  Kept track of when you get the pain - what you were doing just before it happened, how intense was it, type of pain (buring, sharp. etc) how long it lasted, where the pain is and what you did to releive the pain ( move your leg a certain way, stretch, etc). 
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 06:25:24 PM »
Definitely mention that popping sound to your doctor. That's a key indicator of an ACL tear, and an ACL-deficient knee (or the possibility of other damage, e.g. to the meniscus, caused by the fall) could explain your symptoms. Having said that, there's plenty else that it could be too - I'm by no means an expert. I do know that when I mentioned a pop to the ski patroller following my own skiing injury, it immediately raised red flags. Because it didn't swell right away I didn't think it was anything serious, but he sent me straight to emergency to get the ACL checked out. They thought it was a partial tear (grade II sprain) but felt there was a risk that it was a complete rupture, which an MRI later showed to be the case. Skiing falls where the bindings fail to release are also notorious for causing the "unhappy triad" - ACL tear, MCL tear, and meniscus damage.

I'd say the most important thing is to be very clear with your doctor on the details of the fall and the pain you've felt since (type, duration, triggers). Ask them to do the tests for ligament laxity - they can do these right in the office. There are lots of possibilities, including that these problems might be unrelated to the original fall. I hope you get some answers!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline shellyhead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »
Thank you everyone for your responses.  It helps me feel like I am not crazy and only imagining that something could be wrong with my knee.  It was bad enough to be blown off by the urgent care doc two years ago.  Now I go in with confidence and some knowledge to make this a more productive appointment!  Thanks again!!

Offline stacey123

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 02:20:48 AM »
Demand an MRI if you haven't had one done. Although they aren't perfect, they reveal a lot. Good luck!
12/29/09: Complete tears ACL, PCL, LCL, bucket handle tear of meniscus, post lateral corner damage
1/26/10: Menisectomy, 95% removed

Offline shellyhead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 06:28:35 PM »
Just an update after seeing my GP.  He gave me a referral to see an OS, so definitely a step in the right direction.  After doing all the tests he did, the only significant thing he noticed was there was pain at the joint line possibly indicating a problem with the cartilage.  So I am still waiting to find out whats going on, but a step closer than before.   I took my pain diary and we were able to go over that, so great idea!  Once again thanks all for your help.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 08:12:50 PM »
Glad you're moving forward towards a good diagnosis.
Sending healing rays your way 
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS