Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cosmic's ACLr - hmmm cat or gibbon graft??? Paper pants or commando?  (Read 159603 times)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Cosmic's ACLr - hmmm cat or gibbon graft??? Paper pants or commando?
« Reply #960 on: August 10, 2011, 02:41:29 PM »
Anything starting with R is a bummer. RSD. RA. Roadworks. Rick Astley.
...riots
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #961 on: August 11, 2011, 01:18:34 AM »
Choppage done :-).

Initial impressions are that this procedure is so much less painful than the ACLr .... or the stump debridement! .... but of course that might just be the morphine  ;D.

Having arrived at hospital at 07:00  it was after 12:00 by the time I went into surgery and the afternoon patients had arrived and been "processed"!
Went out talking to an anaesthetist who had been making jam the previous morning - we ended up swapping ice cream recipes and I drifted off as he recommended a cookery book!
I was back on the ward by 15:30, and didn't come round properly 'til 19:00..... managing to get a sneaky peek at my notes. ACL intact YAY, meniscus intact, 7mm full depth OC lesion on lateral femoral chondyle microfractured. Grade 2 OA and a fissure (no further details) identified on femur.

Took up crutches like a pro -  during stair practice the physio asked what side our hand-rail is at home... hmmmmmm....in retrospect removing the stair bannister for aesthetic reasons last autumn probably wasn't the wisest decision!

Anyway - so relieved that it's over and good news. Sweet dreams all...

Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #962 on: August 11, 2011, 05:47:38 AM »
Congratulations Cosmic! I'm so happy that your graft is intact - at least you won't have to go through the whole long slog of ACL rehab again. I'm sending good thoughts for your recovery, and hoping the mini-Cosmics are taking good care of you. Was the microfracture in a weight-bearing location?

Breathing a big sigh of relief for you tonight, and I hope the pain levels continue to be so well controlled tomorrow!

Much love from Vancouver. xxx

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #963 on: August 11, 2011, 05:22:18 PM »
Really pleased for you Cosmic that your surgery went well and your ACL & meniscus is intact and can now concentrate on your recovery.

Forgot that you are my FB friend until I saw Lottie message on your wall as I made a fair few online KG friends since I joined in 2003, so lose track of members on FB.

Nick :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #964 on: August 12, 2011, 09:59:25 AM »
Fell asleep last night typing this - woke up this morning with the laptop still on the bed and my password screen username changed to "Z~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "  ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So today didn't go as planned - not badly - just different.

Having left the day quiet in order to rest I had a suprise visit from my lovely university room mate, her hubby and two girls - it was an impromptu visit, they live near Cambridge about 3.5 hours away and were en route to the ferry to go to the channel isles. We haven't met for over two years, and they haven't been to our house in over ten years.
It's the sort of friendship where you just pick up where you left off, and it was delightful to see them. As they were leaving two more wellwishers arrived immediatley followed by another spontaneous visit from a friend and her daughter looking for me to be a passport counter-signatory, more phone calls and an evening out with my Dad, my brother and his family for my Dad's 76th birthday.

I managed a snatched 15 minutes kip... but I have kept up the meds!.... now retiring to bed.

I'm PWB with toe touch - the lesion is on a weight bearing area so they've told me to take it easy, don't do too much too soon. This is such a different experience to the ACL, none of the hideous blood rush when putting the foot to the floor, muscles are firing as they should, just a bone ache, stinging from the wounds and a very strange graunchy (I love that word!) sensation when I feel any weight go through the joint.

Nothing planned for tomorrow either - that means I'm going to have an action packed day :-).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday

Knee is wrapped in cotton wool and crepe bandages which stay on for 4-5 days to protect the joint.... so I haven't been able to see the work underneath.... it's so strange as after the ACLr there was no dressing other than the meopore patches over the wounds - it felt so vunerable!
 I have non-dissolvable stitches this time which need removing in about 12 days and have been told to leave the dressings alone until then.

Still keeping up with the meds which are making me more vaugue than usual (haha - I lost the car on Tuesday - changed minds about which car park to put it in as the traffic was too bad, then wondered why the ticket machine wouldn't accept the ticket when I went to pay..."Ticket not recognised, stupid machine, stupid ticket murble murble...." ......"Mum, in the car park level we were in level 'C' was for Crab, not 'C' for Camel" says Ele........ Ah!)

My nursing care courtesy of Cosmic-Cam consisted of getting up at 12:30 after my visitors arrived, making me a coffee after they'd gone and then going on a sleepover (pre-arranged) ..... he knew he'd have to take train and bus but still eluded to the fact he'd like a lift!  Gotta love teenagers.
Ele came back from her sleep over at 2pm looking like she had just woken up ... which was because she'd just woken up!  ..and made me a fresh mint, lemon and honey infusion when I went to bed. It's a girl thing  ;D.

So a quiet morning in the Cosmic household. Up and dressed ready for any spontaneous arrivals - with feet up and snugglinng dog in bed....Going to watch Torchwood on BBC catch-up :-).

Kris - lovely to "hear from you" ... it doesn't need to be a mamoth post, just lovely to see you're around.

Nick - FB - I am your FB friend - I'm not a frequent poster, but do use it to keep track of people and to post pics and videos to Mr Cosmic when I am away - his IT connections are often poor so it's one of the more effective ways of doing it.

I was talking with one of the ladies in the waiting room at the hopsital on Wednesday, she has a son of 16 with Aspergers. He wasn't diagnosed until he was 11 by which time he had been expelled from numerous schools (the first at age 5). Having "talked" with you on the internet I had a small insight into their struggle. The lady also had a second child who was starved of oxygen for 16 minutes at birth, was severely handicapped spending 3.5 of his 4 years of life in hopsital. The schools blamed her Aspie son's anger outbursts and disruptiveness on bad parenting, saying that he was trying to get attention because she was spending too much time on the disabled child!
Anyway - now he's 16 he's starting college to do a practical diploma as he finds reading and writing very difficult but is very bright. He has a special card to show if he need to make a quick exit if situations become too difficult to deal with. I told her about you and your beautiful golf greens, the book you are writing, your social times at the cricket club... and your running  :D. She was really happy to hear of your success.

That's all for now .... love to all. xx
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #965 on: August 13, 2011, 10:36:40 AM »
Hi Cosmic,

Its nice to meet up with friends that you have not seen for a while and a good way to take your mind off your post op aches and pains. I often hear stories from parents about their kids being diagnosed with having Asperger syndrome and I myself had a nervous breakdown in 2004 and took 2 years to recover fully and hope to publish my own AS story as I went through hell and back during my breakdown and like to share it so others out there know more about the condition more. So far written over 32000 words and over 50 pages on my laptop about my life with AS and hope its good enough to publish as a book in spring 2012.

I also have a attention card about my condition for the emergency services in my wallet from autism west midlands. The UK has improved over the last 5 years about understanding more about AS and how to help and support people that been have been diagnosed with AS.

Enjoy the weekend and take it easy as you just had surgery this week.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:40:44 AM by Clarkey »
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #966 on: August 13, 2011, 06:25:16 PM »
Glad to hear the recovery is progressing well and not holding you back from a busy life! :) Interesting to hear that it feels so much better than the immediate aftermath of ACL surgery. Because ACLr is so routine and successful, I think we forget just how invasive it is for the joint. When you actually think about the mechanics of drilling right through two bones and harvesting part of the extensor mechanism for the leg, it makes sense that the first week or so afterwards is horrendous. I'm very glad that you're not having the blood rushes; I remember both you and I had a horrible time with those.

Sounds like Ele gets the nursing points for days one and two. ;)

Nick, I'm so sorry you went through such an awful time with the breakdown, but very glad that you've been able to move past it and have such a successful and independent life now. I'll definitely buy your book when it's published - J has family members who are on the Asperger's spectrum, so we're always interested to learn more about it. You're very articulate, so you're a good person to share your story with others.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #967 on: August 13, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »
Yay Cosmic I am SO glad that you are resting up and not doing anything. *rolleyes*  :P  Seriously it sounds like this recovery is going to be a lot easier even with the WB restrictions for a while. Good job you are so adept on the crutches......Thos eblood rushes, eeeek they were one of the hideous things about the foot surgery and would make me cry. Very glad they have stayed away!

Please pass on some magical healing powers to Reggie as he is having a tantrum (has been for 3 days now). He appears to think he is in peril again and there is a large red/pink circle of swelling on the knuckle part of the joint (if the knuckle were still there) that won't subside and feels like someone has a blow torch on it. Plus my toes are pink, tender and weird. It must be the CRPS rearing its ugly head again. So frustrating as it actually means for the first time since the recovery evened out I am limping a little and my foot hurts to walk on. Aggggggh. I have to push on though, inactivity is the devil for CRPS. BUT too much is also the devil....now I know how Kristin must feel in trying to balance the AF recovery and activity.....

Nick you are highly articulate and I am sure your book will be well received. I see a few clients with AS but not that many, and you are right in saying that knowledge has improved over recent years. There is still a stigma attached though, just as there is with things like depression, OCD and many things that people battle with in their lives. A breakdown is a horrible thing to go through, but often you come out stronger the other side and you certainly seem to be building a good life now.  :D

Well Cosmic keep up the hard work, I think we'll be meeting up then when Mr Cosmic has returned home or perhaps if you're up to a mid point meeting I can drag Mr Lottie down somewhere and we can have a weekend lunch. Let me know what suits. I have a parcel to post - shall try and get the right house number, street name and postcode this time..... :o ;)  (How ever did that card find you?!!!)

Hugs to all xxxxx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #968 on: August 13, 2011, 08:13:53 PM »
Cosmic tis fantastic to hear all is going well with the recovery and the knee is not too painfull, also excellent news that your important bits were all intact that must be a good feeling, I think you said that Mr Cosmic was due home this weekend so at least you should have someone to take care of you for a while, kids just dont really get it when it comes to helping out after something like this but at least they try.
Lottie so sorry reggie is being a pain I hope its just a wee flair that will settle down soon.
Nick as the others have said you have been through so much with the breakdown and how you deal with the AS and I'm sure that when the book is done it will help lots of people with AS and their families.
Snowy what exciting thing are you up to this weekend? whatever you do I hope you have a great time.
I am so glad that its the weekend I love my work but the last few weeks have been torture with tezknee being very very grumpy, roll on Sept for the holiday to lie in the sun and chill out then the scope which I hope will sort out my knee woes once and for all, I'm getting too old for all this standing all day in pain :'(
Take care everyone Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #969 on: August 13, 2011, 09:32:46 PM »
Tez and Lottie - so sorry to hear your woes ....

Lottie - it's such a shame that your CRPS is making a resurgence... it must be so frustrating having made such good progress. Hopefully this rebellious phase is just that - a phase, a blip, and you'll be able to whip him back into shape. Remember in the grand scheme of things even without the CRPS you are still fairly fresh out of a major surgery. Snowy is right - because these surgeries are performed routinely we tend to dismiss the gravity of the procedures. I know I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs but do contact Dr Chopper if you need reassurance.

Tez - your post wrung my heart  :'(. I guess generally you may be feeling a little fragile after your MuM's passing .... I know Lottie and I have discussed how our frame of mind affects our pain thresh-hold, our immune systems and how our renegade joints feel.  Hopefully your trip to Spain will give your mind and body some positive energy, which will give you the boost you need until your next arthroscopy....and some answers. Meantime ..HUGS.

Snowy - you still remain an inspiration in recovery. I'm open-minded about where my knee future lies.... i can't quite see an end to this knee journey, feeling that it will always be somewhat of a work in progress... but have some new and exciting goals as healing progresses .... learning to swim (or rather - overcoming my fear of water) being the first. Maybe one day I'll be able to visit Vancouver and make a passable attempt at skimming the surface of your beautiful outdoor pool.

Nick - wow - you really have worked hard to be where you are today. I think it is brilliant that you aspire to help promote understanding of Aspergers and that you send a message of hope to others who may find themselves in a similar situation. I also look forward to reading your book.

So MFX progress - I'm still being good and have left the crepes in place, so haven't a clue what the knee looks like yet. Generally there seems to be a lot less swelling than after previous ops - epsecially compared to the elephant leg I had after the stump debridement. SLRs aren't a problem, and heel slides are possible withing the restriction of the bandages. Quad sets are fine and heel pumps too. I bet this takes all you ACLr-ers back in time  :-).

Today was crash and burn day - Mr Cosmic arrived at 07:30 and had to wait for me to get down the stairs to let him in! Delays at Lagos had nothing on me LoL - he was so near and yet so far, stranded on our doorstep like he was stuck the other side of immigration!
The mini-Cosmics slept through - I managed about about an hour of catch up with Mr Cosmic from the last four weeks before I got the "i need to sleep or I'm going to redecorate the duvet" feeling... and then slept until 12:30.... I think codeine isn't my best painkiller  :-X. The whole day has been spent fighting waves of nausea, dizziness, shakes and hot flushes  :-[ . ..but I'm persisting with the meds, and just crashing when I need to.

The day's excitment (other than the return of Mr Cosmic) was the production of an origami rabbit - which inflates when you blow through its nose. The first attempt went a bit wrong - I made it back to front.... I'll leave it to your imagination as to what I had to blow through to inflate it  ;) ;D

xx
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #970 on: August 18, 2011, 01:14:22 AM »
So ... unbelievably it's a week after the MFX event and I'm off the painkillers, driving (YAY to automatic cars :-) ) and trying to stick to the Steadman Clinic prescribed physio of 500xSLRs/quad sets/heel slides and ankle pumps - three times a day.... I say "trying to" as after the first day my poor hip muscles were waving a little white flag!

I've received a letter with details of my first PT appointment - a week on Friday. Unfortunately the most lovely Sarah J, who has looked after me for the previous two operations is fully booked so I get to spend some time with "Andy". The alternative was to wait another week, the receptionist stated that they like to see MFX patients 1-2weeks after surgery ... well next Fri is already 2.5 weeks so I didn't want to leave it any longer. Stitches come out on Tuesday - and I have to admit...the bit I'm really not looking forward to is the removal of the super-sticky dressings. Is that a really wussie thing to admit to?

I'm not really relishing being on crutches again but at least I'm an advanced user. I hate not being able to carry a cup of coffee, so resort to filling a flask and putting it into a rucksack to carry it into the lounge! Laundry gets thrown over the bannister, down the stairs and nudged into the utility room using crutches or feet. Not being able to walk the dog is frustrating - the rest of the family don't take the responsibilty quite as I feel they should, and poor Tashi gets a little desperate and hyper some days  :-\.

Hope all is well in closet-building, cat-training, book-writing, road-biking, DIY-successful KG-land xx
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #971 on: August 18, 2011, 06:00:17 AM »
Wowzers - you're doing incredibly well! I know that microfracture can often be a super painful procedure (a friend of mine had an awful time after hers) so it's especially great to hear that things are going so well for you. It's amazing how much you can do on crutches when you set your mind to it. (J still hasn't let me forget the incident where she came home and found I'd substituted one crutch for a broom and was attempting to sweep the floor.)

Poor Tashi. Will Mr. Cosmic do some extra dog-walking now he's home?

Take care, and keep up the super-recovery - let's hope this is a sign of a much improved knee to come. :)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #972 on: August 18, 2011, 05:52:20 PM »
Hi Cosmic,

You are doing really well so far and was only last week when you had the surgery and been told microfracture can take a while to recover from and am I right you not allowed to put any weight on the knee for a week or 2?

Its always better to see a PT that you have seen before and know well and be annoying for you that she is fully booked but I am sure Andy just as good and nice as Sarah J. You will only need the crutches for a couple more weeks and can then ditch them!

Nick  :) {2011} :)

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #973 on: August 24, 2011, 10:18:46 PM »
OMG  :o - two weeks on.

Nick you are right - I am on crutches for up to 6 weeks - PWB which is SOOO much easier that being unable to tolerate weight at all as I was after the original accident.

Snowy - The only way Mr Cosmic could be persuaded to walk the dog was for me to go too. We didn"t get very far into the forest but took a tennis ball and ball thrower so the dog had a good run.... now back home with my leg raised and iced. Haha - yes the broom... done that one. Funniest one was showering this morning - up til now I've used the bath, but with stitches out it's ok to use the shower ... I got in OK but couldn't get out... had to butt shuffle out - most ungracious  :-\.

I had my two stitches   ;D out on Tuesday - one portal has closed, one is still slightly open but both look clean with just a small amount of swelling and bruising. I think the OS must have inhaled fairy dust - everything seems to have to be done so delicately.

The pain is still strange - because I have reasonable flexibilty I feel like I should be able to walk/weight bear ..... but there is a definate area which doesn't like weight or sheer. I had a "pants" night last night - I've gradually got back into housewife mode .... the mounting outstanding "stuff" was just too irresistable.... I've been hopping around the kitchen processing four huge sacks of apples that a friend needed a home for (he has a small orchard in his garden).... pureeing for fruit leather, slicing and dehydrating for apple crisps, stewing for freezing. I bought a really cool gizmo that peels, cores and slices each apple four turns of a handle! .... after a day and and a half I've done 2/3 of one sack .... :-\ ....

So I think (as we all seem to do) I over did the hopping yesterday and had a "Tez" night ..uncomfy/painful and disturbed. Still, it's the first bad night in a while so I think overall I have nothing to winge about  ;D.

Physio on Friday - looking forward to it!!

Love to all.
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #974 on: August 25, 2011, 05:26:16 PM »
Hi Cosmic,

Time does fly by as the older you get and at the back end of 2011 already and really looking forward to 2012 as I hope to publish my AS book and website and of course the 2012 Olympic Games in London. My main goal is to compete in a half marathon in spring 2012.

You are now over 2 weeks post op and I have been a KG member for nearly 8 years and do pick up knowledge on knee problems and recovery after surgery. It feels nice to have the stitches removed and glad you have minimum swelling and seems to be doing ok so far. You going to have some pain a discomfort for the next couple of weeks which is expected. It good to be active again doing the household chores but do not overdo it and flare up you knee.

Only one working day left then the Bank Holiday weekend and the next Bank Holiday will be on Christmas Day so make the most of this weekend before autumn sets in.