Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cosmic's ACLr - hmmm cat or gibbon graft??? Paper pants or commando?  (Read 165782 times)

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
Re: Cosmic's ACLr - hmmm cat or gibbon graft??? Paper pants or commando?
« Reply #945 on: May 06, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »
it seems totally lame to post right after myself but...

I HAVE A DIAGNOSIS!!!

Rheumy says I totally don't have lupus and my lab results are still all negative, but I have all the other markers for RA and Sjogren's. So I will be starting the plaquenil (malaria med) as soon as I have a required eye screening, which I have scheduled for Tuesday morning. (Will be a busy day with the house stuff!)

The good news is that there is no real damage to my joints yet- they show "angry" on the x-rays but not eroded. If this med works, I can be all set for a long time and it is the least toxic of any of the RA treatments.

The bad news... all of this sort of means I probably didn't need my knee surgery- I just needed a proper diagnosis. I understand why I didn't get one back then, when I only had symptoms in one joint, but still that is pretty annoying if I let myself think of it. (I will instead think of how lovely it was to have to see Dr. McYum Yum all the time.)

so that's it for me for now. Have been advised to start taking my pain pills with mega doses of Tylenol again, as the plaquenil can take 6-8 weeks to start working. Am not allowed any more steroids for "regular use" right now due to the potential side effects. As much as I love them, that's fine with me, I don't want to be fat and osteoporosed (hah definitely NOT a word, is it?)

hope everyone is doing well. Lottie, hope you are clearing up and the pain is a little less. BIG HUGS!
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #946 on: May 06, 2011, 10:58:16 PM »
Kris so happy that you have at last have some answeres though I dont know much about Sjogrens in fact thats a lie I dont know anything about it but from the sound of your post it seems to be a better than it could have been diagnosis [if you know what I mean] excellent news that there dosent seem to be any joint damage, it looks like its all getting under controll with you now, a new house and some new magic meds to sort out the joints. so pleased for you, you deserve only good stuff to happen to you and it sounds like your on the right tract for just that.
Take care sending you loads of ((((hugs)))) for your good news
Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #947 on: May 06, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »
I'm so relieved for you, Kris - it must be a weight off your shoulders to know for certain what's wrong, although I'm sure learning to manage the conditions will bring its own challenges. I'm really pleased that they were able to catch it before any joint damage had been done. Not so happy that your knee surgery wasn't necessary, but at least you made a few new friends from the knee experience. :)

Will keep my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly from here, and that your move goes very well.

Lottie - thinking of you today and hoping all went well with Dr. Tory Onion Chopper. Heal, Reggie, heal!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #948 on: May 07, 2011, 03:33:49 PM »
Hi All,

I am the happiest KG member at the moment as I managed to reach my goal of jogging once again and finally it has happened thanks to Dr Brown and my IMS sessions with him. I managed to do another jog on Friday with my friend Jake and hardly felt any pain in my right knee. Its like a miracle cure as the pain and swelling has gone since I had the 3rd IMS sessions and cannot put it into words how happy I am right now. Now being told will wreck my knees running and a risk I willing to take and can always post in the future if knee problems start up again, which I hope does not happen for some time.

When I arrived at work on Tuesday morning someone left a cat with her kittens in a cat carrier outside the Vets next door to my work that also has a Cattery. They just left them there overnight and we took them to out buildings to the Vets opened and handed them in. The owners could have sent the cat and kittens to the RSPCA rather then leaving all night in the cold. It annoys me that people can be so heartless and just abandon their pets and put them under stress.

Thankfullly they are all safe and healthy and at the Cattery till they find a new home. I would love to take on another house cat but Ellie might not like it and get jealous. The mother of the kittens is looking very protective over her kittens and a good mother when asked how they are doing when I saw the Cattery Manager.

Lottie, I do not get FB at times removing us both as friends and at one stage thought I said something online that upset you. The 1st few days and weeks are the worst after any surgery and have to face it all again with onions number 2 which I think I am right about, need to get the other one removed as well!

Kris, another positive post to read this week like mine and so pleased for you that you finally know what you are dealing with. You now know what to expect and how to go about dealing with the condition. Too bad you did not need the surgery and now thinking if I needed a scope or not and if acupuncture was all that was needed!

Tez, hope you are having a good weekend and are sleeping better during the night.

Snowy, enjoy whats left of the skiing season this weekend and can now go out jogging a do something I enjoy doing from now onwards even if it not good for the knees. I am going to carry on doing something I have missed for 3 and a half years.

Enjoy the weekend guys, this week has been fantastic and really over the moon right now!

Nick :) {2011} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #949 on: August 04, 2011, 12:14:17 PM »
Well....

Thought I would post an update on here. I am sure Cosmic will not mind me doing an update for her as we met up last week for a good lunch, good gossip and some fresh air walking about. She is due to have surgery next week, the 10th if my memory serves me correctly. At time of typing I am not sure what the plan is once she is under the knife, and she was attempting to find out more last week. I guess it depends what they find with the graft, the cartilage, the rest of the joint etc. I know she'll probably be along to post once she is through and out but I am just letting you know the Cosmic battle continues.

A quick Reggie-foot update. The fusion has been a big success. Post op X-rays taken at 6 weeks showed solid fusion, no joint space and intact hardware. I can safely say I do not really miss the function of the big toe joint although it is weird when it doesn't move whatever I do! I don't think I limp any longer unless I am in really soft soled shoes that don't allow me to roll forward as much - the toe off motion is tricky when it doesn't bend but not impossible. Some of it is psychological as I fear hurting it or damaging the fusion but that won't happen. In normal shoes I think the motion of walking is pretty good; pivoting is hard as the toe doesn't move with the foot so much, and going down steps is also weird as again the toe doesn't "give". But generally the foot looks straight, has no hideous painful spurs rubbing on any shoes and is settling into the proper angle of dangle as the swelling abates.

So what of the CRPS/RSD? Well, this truly is a frustrating, long winded mind of its own beast. It would seem that it has not spread (thank god) and has largely left my foot to reside in my three middle toes and the outer edge of my big toe. I can almost draw a line around the affected bits from both pain sensations and colour changes. It really doesn't like doing too much, which is frustrating as the foot probably could cope with more than I throw at it but the RSD can't just yet. If I pace, look after it, do my exercises and take the pills then things are relatively calm. I am hopeful that things are slowly rebooting and one day the sensations will abate completely. I see the pain management guy in about 6 weeks so will assess things again then. Having read and seen some of the horrible CRPS spreads that happen I am lucky so far.....I am also convinced this is linked to some form of auto immune issue that is at the root of why I got it so I may be asking my GP for some more blood work in the future.

Proper updates on the blog as usual:

www.onionsbegone.wordpress.com

I know how most folks are getting on from other diaries and threads but Kris - how is the treatment going? Let me know. I think of you often!

Hugs to all knees and assorted bodily parts,

Lottie x
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #950 on: August 05, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »
Hi Lottie,

Thanks for keeping the thread active I felt rather alone when I posted the last few times as I know you all post in 'Situation going from bad to worse' which is very popular but would take me a whole hour to read through eveyones posts and would then run out of time at the library once I reply back.

Its nice to meet another KG member and can pass onto Cosmic my best wishes that her surgery will go smoothly on the 10th. Glad Reggie is doing well post op amd making good progress and wise to be a little cautious that you may do some damage again, that should not happen.

I am in Nottingham this week staying with my sister and been to many lovely places in the East Midlands and going to Chatsworth House today with my Mum so should be a lovely day out.

I have not been to the gym or a jog this week which is normal when you on a holiday to be lazy. Right knee is holding up well and did get a bit of pain yesterday as it was raining for most of the day so could be the start of arthritis as I have been working outdoors for 12 years and a scope can incease arthritis. I am not too concerned if it is, as it happens as you get older.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #951 on: August 08, 2011, 07:26:20 AM »
Yay, Cosmic's Cafe is back in action! This thread kept me going through so many bleak moments last year...

Lottie, thanks for the dual update. I'll be sending all the good thoughts I can to Cosmic on the 10th and really hoping that the surgery resolves some of the remaining problems. I know she was anticipating microfracture at the very least, but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that whatever they find is fixable without too horrible a recovery protocol.

That's great news on the fusion. I think you're probably moving toward the point J is at, where she honestly doesn't remember what it was like to have a toe that bent and now accommodates the lack of flex without even thinking about it. With enough practice even pivoting should start to feel more normal as you learn to compensate, and get used to the fact that it doesn't feel the same as it used to.

I'm glad that the CRPS is at least well under control, if not entirely tamed yet. Fingers crossed that your diligence will eventually see the toes return to a more normal state. I've been following the blog, but I haven't been doing much posting anywhere recently (from here to Facebook) as the temporary change of job is keeping me really busy, albeit in a very good way. I think of you all often, though - knees, feet, and all.

Nick - so glad to hear that all is still going well for you, and that you're enjoying your vacation. Hugs to all my fellow Knee Geeks.

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #952 on: August 08, 2011, 06:39:02 PM »
Good evening all you cosmic cafes folk I didnt realise how much I had missed this thread untill You [Lottie]  brought it back to life I have also been reading your blog and its good to see how well the fused one is doing also good news that the CRPS  has not spread fingers crossed it stays that way, how about the knees? have they been behaving through all the toe stuff?.
Cosmic good luck for the 10th I really hope whatever the surgeon finds is easily fixed so you can get back to your flying kicks or whatever it is you love to do ;) Snowy I just posted on your thread but I shall repeat on here your a star and deserve only good things in life, you have worked so hard to get your life back. Nick so pleased your still getting back into your jogging and that your working towards getting all the other aspects of your life sorted out too the job and love life bit I mean.
As for me I am heading for surgery no 3 on this old knee on the 24th Sept and with any the last op I will need, the timing is working out really well as I am heading out to Spain on the 4th Sept for a week with my best friends so will have a great time then back for a couple of weeks at work before the chop.
How are everyone else doing these days?I hope all is well with the regular cafe crowd.
Take care Tez   
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #953 on: August 09, 2011, 02:21:12 PM »
Hey Folks!

I had a little panic for a mo - it's been so long that I couldn't remember my password! 

This is just like coming home :-). Thanks for your wishes lovely people, they really do make a difference.

So, the fridge is full of Innocent Veggie Pots and ready made "Balls and Spaghetti" (yes, really! I guess as there's no meat they are technically correct in their nomenclature!)....and the freezer is full of ice. This can only mean one thing ...

.....a 6.30am pick up by my Dad for transport to a date to sleep with Mr Harvey at Bournemouth Hopsital.... well, you know what I mean, I'll do the sleeping....

I must admit I'm approaching this with some trepidation. The last ops on my knee I've known exactly what to expect. This time I won't know what they've done until I wake up (even then I won't understand because it will sound like they are talking through kazoos) .... any combination of MFX of focal osteochondral lesion on lateral femoral chondyle, ACL revision using other hammy (at least I'll have symmetrical scars - that appeases my OCD tendencies) and menisectomy (right where the MFX is goning to be done :-/).

Between 2 registrars and an MRI we never got to the bottom of whether the ACL graft is compromised. I must admit to trying to perform the anterior drawer test on myself ... slumped in the garden chair with my foot wedged against the garden table, quite a party trick. All I can say is that there is a noticeable difference between my knees. Mr Harvey will tweak it knowingly tomorrow and cast his verdict in an instant.

Mr Cosmic is back on Saturday for three weeks, which will be a great help, although both Junior Cosmics are now of an age (13 and alomost 16) where they are pretty self sufficient I didn't want their summer holidays to echo to the cry of "we can't because of my knee :-( ".

Snowy - I am made up for you with your progress.... I wish I could want to do half the crazy things you do, but my sense of self preservation is just too great. :-) xx

Tez - great news on the date in September. It's so good having that point to fix on. I so hope they find some explanation for your continuing pain and are able to remedy it.         Lottie told me about your Mum passing on... my heart goes out to you xx.
Just think what she and Gordon could be chatting about ;-)

Nick - chuffed as nuts for you (if nuts are ever chuffed!) being able to run again. Remember - it's not a sprint it's a marathon ... in the metaphorical sense. Keep building slowly to avoid any more Knee moments.

Vicks - thanks for the FB IM, sorry I had to dash -  son needed his purple trousers with blue and white gingham turnups  ::) for performing that night, and I'd just realised that I'd used the last laundry liquid before we went to Brighton last week .....

Lottie (Danger Bogs and mad Lucas) - it sounds like your progress is carrying on well, brilliant that you've got back to work :-).
As much as having mini-Cosmics (both taller than me) makes life frustrating and a logistical challenge when I am on the crip-sticks it also gives me something to focus on.

...and to anyone else looking in ...... welcome back!  ;D

So I've walked the dog, done the recycling, washed an ironed until the laundry basket fears for it's continuing existence. Lunch is done and dusted - do you think I ought to get my mini-Cosmics up now? ;-))

I think for sanity's sake I'll start a new thread on Thurs - depending on what's been done. Just look out for "Cosmic's Cafe".

Here we go again tra la tra la .... happy as can be ....  tra la tra la     ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #954 on: August 09, 2011, 05:24:33 PM »
Hi All,

Hope everyone in the UK is safe tonight with more riots predicted. I only live 3 miles away from the City Cente and could well kick off where I live even though it a decent area of Birmingham no where is safe.

Tez, sorry you have to have another scope on the 24th September and hope this surgery will sort out your knee once and for all.

Cosmic, nice to see you back posting again on your thread and also hope surgery on your knee goes well. Good luck tomorrow will be thinking about you as it never nice when you having to have any type of surgery. It feels great to be able to run again and can thank Dr Brown and is IMS sessions.

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #955 on: August 09, 2011, 07:49:05 PM »
Evening all...good to see the cafe is open again for business  ;D

Cosmic - all the very best for the choppage tomorrow  :-* - obviously, once you are in the land of nod you are in the hands of the OS, but he does seem to be a very capable one

Snowy - everything looks good for Frankenknee, all that loony rehab seems to be paying off!

Lottie - thanks for the PM, hope all is calm with Reggie and the mogs (yeah right  ;D )

Clarkey - fab that you are running again, but take it easy, don't overdo it

Tez - all the best for the September choppage, have a super holiday and then get pesky Tezknee sorted.  Chat through  what the OS suggests but do cover all the bases of things that you are ok with and those that you would rather not go through

Me - well, Neelie has turned a big corner, as long as I don't kneel hard on her or try to run, she is broadly pain free, still a little puffy and tender round the tatty bits if poked, but the achy, pain, stiffness has passed.  Lots of cycling seems to have done the world of good.  Probably ridden over a thousand miles this year, including 42 on Saturday in the country (about 3 times further than ever ridden before) - no ill effects on the knee, just the expected sore legs and lower back!
I have seen a new physio a couple of times, he was impressed in my improvement in flex between the two appointments (6 weeks apart), see him again in a month.
So no nasty osteotomy choppage for Neelie while she is well behaved and I shall continue cycling (well once all the mayhem has calmed down in the UK, stupid bl**dy kids  >:( )

Take care all xxx
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #956 on: August 09, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »
Yay Cosmic has returned to her cafe!!! Must have been the cake I got in especially!!  8)

Good luck tomorrow, you don't need luck but you know I'll be thinking of you. I well remember waking up after the foot op and groggily asking "Did he fuse it" to which I got a kazoo answer of Yes. So, I understand that uncertainty but I know your rehab will be very different depending on whether they do the MFX or not. I really hope the ACL is all OK. Text me when you can and I'll let people know you're through and awake!

Vicks, great news on the knee behaviour. I think sometimes things just settle down of their own volition and you adjust. Cycling definitely is a big help to my knees although I stay static (less risk of death on the lanes round here...).

Tez, I didn't know you were booked for your scope. Be clear on what you will allow and why and I really hope that it brings some relief. You asked about my knees - well I am happy to say that largely they too behave. I am due for another Euflexxa round but I won't do that until they start creaking badly again. I am spinning, walking, squatting, kettlebell swinging, kneeling, balancing, using them pretty much without too much through apart from steep steps, steep downhills and sharp pivots. I certainly wouldn't like to run on them but I can live without it. I miss much of my bounciness that i used to have for things like boxercise and circuits but I can do a semi bounce and get by! Now, if Reggie would just folllow suit then I will be happy.....seeing as it took 18 months for the knee to settle I am not too fussed if Reggie is on the slow side....I am of course on pain meds for the CRPS so they probably also help the knees but such is life.

Nick - take the running steady but it is lovely that you are back to what you enjoy. Birmingham is indeed suffering as many cities are. You should be OK in your area although idiots seem to live just about anywhere now. Unless you live in a PC World or JD Sports you're probably safe...

Snowy - I owe you an email. I am SO pleased that things are so good for you. You are a beacon of surgical hope for us all. I shall email you soon. My talisman goes everywhere with me and my Daily Mood sits on the coffee machine for all to see each morning!

Must go sort out the mad Lucas. He's a sweetheart. takes my mind off my foot although Boris and Lottie are not impressed!

Hugs to all especially my lovely friend Cosmic.,

xxxx

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #957 on: August 10, 2011, 06:09:19 AM »
Cosmic!!! It feels like a celebrity came to visit. :)

Given the time here, you may already be up and about and on your way to the hospital. Will be thinking of you today (tomorrow for me) and crossing my fingers that things go as smoothly as possible. I really, really hope that the graft is intact and that it's just other symptoms and residual weakness resulting from the effect of the pain that's causing the difference between the knees. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for your new post-op diary on Thursday. In the meantime, good luck and positive thoughts and many many hugs...

Vicks - that's super exciting news on Neelie. I firmly believe that cycling is magic for most knees. :) Let's hope this continues, and any thought of sawing or choppage can be completely forgotten.

Lottie - good news on your knees too. I wonder if the enforced rest following the onion chop actually helped settle the PFS? In spite of a few flares during overenthusiastic phases of rehab, I'm pretty sure that's what happened with mine - it finally had a chance to settle completely, and although I've triggered it a few times since it's never been as consistently bad as it was for several years before that.

Tez - let's hope that this is the final surgery on poor Tezknee, and that it brings you some answers.

Nick - how was Birmingham tonight? I hope things are starting to settle down there. The news footage has made me sad and angry, especially seeing my old neighbourhoods in London burning. I hope everyone in the UK is keeping safe - it seems to be in pretty bad meltdown at the moment.

Hugs to all,

K xxx

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
« Reply #958 on: August 10, 2011, 10:21:22 AM »
Don't really have time to post at present, but of all the days to check this thread!!! HI EVERYONE!

Good luck on the chop today Cosmic, sending you nothing but the best!

Happy to see what everyone's up to! I almost don't feel like a knee geek anymore because the knee is now only one of my many RA related problems... oh life!

Will check in properly in a bit but just wanted to show my hand while we were taking attendance  :)
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #959 on: August 10, 2011, 10:30:02 AM »
You will always be a knee geek.  :P

Sorry to hear about RA problems. Anything starting with R is a bummer. RSD. RA. Roadworks. Rick Astley.

Text from Cosmic some 40 minutes ago..."Still waiting......"  :-\

She'll be ready for a big cup of tea afterwards!

xx

support