Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cosmic's ACLr - hmmm cat or gibbon graft??? Paper pants or commando?  (Read 155711 times)

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
Re: Cosmic's ACLr - hmmm cat or gibbon graft??? Paper pants or commando?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 07:37:31 PM »
ACLr +6days

It seems I have successfully managed to NOT load the photo here - but as Tez says the Facebook one loaded fine (i know it should be so easy - any hints gratefully received).

PT today was fine - not at full extension (she didn't let on my degrees) and a full 95o passive flexion YAY! She'd seen a young fit (in both senses LoL) chap before me who had his ACLr on the same day - he's a physio at the hopsital too - and I had 15o more flexion then he did..not that I'm comparing at all...nooooo... and I didn't feel at all pleased with myself coz I just know that pride comes before a fall    ;D  ;D

The bruising is severe but not unusual... apparently it relates to the degree of difficulty they have harvesting the graft - I think they used a sledgehammer and a baseball bat to get mine!!.

I need to find someone lovely to come and massage my leg every day with Arnica cream (failing that I'll do it myself  :-\) .

Because of my stump-stuck extension history it seems I am going to have a small battle ensuring my quads are working properly to keep my leg extended as I step - so that's what I'm working on this week. I have a little "eek" feeling at the moment as I'm getting pain behind the knee cap which is in the same place as the lesion caused by the injury - it may just be that it's protesting a bit so I'm putting that piece of information in a trunk and locking it away for now.

I managed to walk slooooowly unaided (if you call gripping vice-like on to the banister unaided!) along the landing to the bathroom which seemed like a cool move except I was desperate for a pee, and Blue-the-Barmy-Birman decided it was a good time to demonstrate his undying love by weaving between my feet!

Moral of the story 1) stick with crutches doh!
                         2) don't wait til desperate for a pee
                         3) feed cat first!!!

PT says I'm OK to drive  :o (For some obscure reason both cars are automatic!!) once I'm off the morphine (one dose this morning as I was scared of the PT!). That was a bit of a surprise - a lovely one!

We're aiming for running at 3 months, badminton at 6months. It all seems like a pipe dream at the moment, something to work towards but I'm not hanging my hat on it!

The PT also talked about the 6-10 week period, when it has been shown that the graft is populated with blood vessels and nerves. It is believed that this is when the graft is at it's weakest although apparently there is no scientific evidence to prove it. To err on the side of caution they don't prescribe any new physio before 10 weeks - and only recommend swimming beyond that point. I guess it's a good time to learn - I swim like a brick.

Keep rubbing those joints

xxxxx
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 08:46:21 PM »
Woohoo!!

The PT sounds like excellent news - good passive flexion and the extension will come....it is good you're aware of the need to get the quads working because of the stumpy stuck history. Might take some hard work - but when have you ever shied away from that one?!!

Get the Arnica cream ready for the end of the week!!

Re the kneecap lesion - could well not actually be the kneecap lesion creating the eeek sensation, more the fact the muscles won't be holding that kneecap properly and allowing it to move, hence any slight uneveness behind the kneecap will be magnified a million times. I know from experience that as soon as the muscles and things around the kneecap get lazy/stressed/upset then any changes feel way worse. Box that information and work those quads!!

OK to drive - shall we go get a funky soft top car?!! (One that I can stick my wonky foot and crap knee out of?)

Hugs to Stumpy and her technicolour dream-shin

xxxx

Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 09:21:56 PM »
Cosmic Whose a clever girl you seem to be doing sooooo well, not at all surprised you are doing better than any fit guy, you have girl power proppeling you forward into a world where 2 working knees are the norm and this whole episode is a distant memory.
surprised your cleared to drive I was told after my scope not to drive at all for at least 2 weeks and thought after the aclr it would be a lot longer so that makes me happy ;D cos I hate being tied to the house.
Keep up the good work cos your my insperation [no pressure or anything ;D ;D ;D]
Lottie I can see you both in a nice soft top sports car with a leg each hanging out if you got enough speed up it would save you from icing for a while. 8)
take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2010, 10:03:31 PM »
OMG how hard can it be to do an SLR???

Left leg.....concentrate and lift...hmmmm...lift.....oh.... lift...no?

ok Right leg..and lift ..yay!

Left leg..... and, yes you, left leg..... LIFT.....LIFT... selective hearing huh?.... squeeze and LIFT???  Ah  >:(

Does pulling on one's trouser leg count???  ;) ....

Watch this space for next week's exiting installment of ..."The Search for a LK SLR!!!!"
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 07:33:25 PM »
Bah humbug - we all know it's going to happen..after the initial relief at finally getting through the op - that big lumpy dive into the PITY PIT. :-[

So feeling brave after PT I went to bed with no meds and woke up in considerable pain from the bruising and the hamstrings. Had that "Ok I've had enough of this game now, want to move on" feeling and curled up in a ball (mentally of course as I can't bend my knee enough to REALLY curl into a ball LoL) for a bit of wallowing.
About an hour of that and I was bored - did some quads physio and put a dvd on the laptop. The dog snuggled with me  :).

Pain seems to be improve if I keep moving, if I stay in one position for too long my soft tissues seize.

Just to complete my day my teenage son got an earful for not pulling his weight - he looked at me as if I was talking a foreign language. He has an astounding ability to leave a trail of destruction behind him (the consolation is that he'd never make an effective criminal!) ...  I think it was the waxy cotton bud left on the dining table that broke the camels back!

I find I have quite a dilemma on how to constructively report the downs as I don't want to put you guys off any impending surgery!... on the other hand If I only post the good I'm afraid you might think my recovery is super special! Today is the day of balance!

The good news is that I managed to carry a tray 15 steps into the garden for lunch  :D  and the roses are out  ;D

Happy healing KG friends

:-*
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »
I now feel like a complete heel  :( :( :( :( so so so sorry you feel bad about sharing the bad days as well as the good PLEASE dont worry about freaking out us ladies in waiting, we are all big girls and can take all your highs and lows and celebrate with you on the highs, and comiserate with you on the lows, If your having a bad day then get your butt on here and vent to your wee hearts content, we will all be here with a sympathetic shoulder and a daft remark to help make you feel better.
As for the kids sorry your on your own there saying that I'm pretty sure my 2 could give your lot a very good run at being the most untidy, cheekey, messy, unorganised, selfish, and ungrateful kids there is, their also beautiful, special, lovely clever, bundles of fun ;D     
Take care and hope you feel better Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 10:18:37 PM »
Hi Tez - don't feel like a heel - I just know that pre-op I got spooked by stuff that I really didn't think would spook me!!

Anyway - having rehabbed twice before I was kinda waiting for the first blow-out.. so it was no surprise just a minor inconvenience and shows that all is progrssing normally.

... and as for my son he's a loving, humorous, gifted, honest and caring young man... just a typical teenager who is currently holding a friend's rubber duck hostage and posting the photos on Facebook LoL.

Anyway I have to be ok for Lottiefox's visit on Friday.....ready to hang my leg out of the convertible on the way to eat cake at the beach and take in the views at the local nudist colony at the aptly named Studland beach  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Tez - you're always there for us xxxx
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »
Nudist colony!!! no one mentioned a nudist colony I distincly remember cake and coffee and arnica cream but had I been aware of a NUDIST COLONY I would have been on the next train down  :o
Hope your feeling a bit better and have fun at studland ;D ;D
Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 10:36:16 PM »
It's one of the National Trust sites that is truly worth visiting! ;)
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline Clarus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2010, 11:49:23 PM »
Hey Cosmic, just read the last few posts, sounds like earlier today was a bit of a bummer :-\
But, the great thing about here is you can grouch when you need to, someone will listen - then when someone else has a bad day you can hear them.

Know just what you mean about that odd 'down day' post op - 'pity pit' is such an accurate description.

And as for kids not being helpful...... but, they are all beautiful, healthy, kind souls......

One of mine held their friend's 'Ted' hostage for a while in a similar manner.

Chin up, chest out and best hobble forwards ;)
xc
ACL rupture March 2010
ACLr (Hamstring) 26 April 2010

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2010, 12:55:05 AM »
Ditto, ditto, ditto! One of the most valuable things about this site is the support network it provides on the days that don't go so well. Plus if your whole rehab was nothing but sunshine, smiles and nudists I'm sure I'd find myself wondering what I'd done wrong on my first bad day. ;)

I'm sorry that today was one of the bad ones, but think of it this way - you had a full week when things felt like they were going pretty well. One bad day out of seven is pretty darn good, considering what a major procedure you went through just last week.

Just think of the satisfaction when you finally make that SLR. :)

K x
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 10:31:18 PM »
Ok -so if every Bah Humbug day is followed by a day like today then I'll have a few more please!

The swelling is subsiding considerably, and the bruising is improving with the massage and arnica oil. I took the bull by the horns and changed the dressings - the small wounds look fine, but the graft one is a bit like a car crash - with two open wounds still bloody - and a string (the subcutaneous suture I guess) sticking out at the ends of the wound - quite comic really!

I'm usually really squeamish about stuff like that, but was more interested to see what was happening.

Passive flexion is improving as the swelling subsides - I can pull on my trouser leg and get my knee to well beyond 90o. I've pottered around the house without crutches and found that I am actually better when moving frequently, otherwise everything seizes up...AND I drove to drop my son at his gig practice in town (only a mile each way but it was fine :-)). Still need to use crutches to encourage proper extension but happy to do that when walking outside.

Son proved how caring he really is - he plays in a band with my friend, Jane's son. When Jane finished work at 8pm Cam asked if she would come round and take me back to theirs (where they practice) as he didn't want me left at home on my own.  Priceless. ......and his room is tidy!!!

Snowy - such fab news on your date...

Time for another early night. Sleep well all.

xx
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 03:30:53 AM »
That sounds like a really positive day. :) I'm glad to hear that walking is coming on so well, and that's great news on the driving. I'm the driver in our family, so getting back on the road is going to be fairly important. It's funny - I much prefer driving a stick and in the past have complained considerably that automatics are far more common here, but now I am *so* thankful that I have an automatic! I swapped cars with a friend a couple of weeks after my initial injury as she needed my truck to move house, and working the clutch felt like doing leg presses in the gym with heavy weights. Not fun.

Perhaps you should give the photos another try to show off your wounds.  ;D There are some truly gory pictures over on the KG Facebook group!

The reality of my date is still sinking in. I broke the news to my coworkers this afternoon. Thankfully I have a super-supportive manager; she went through knee surgery herself in September, so she's been really sympathetic. I have to go to the doctor's tomorrow to get the forms signed for my medical leave. I should post a thread to find out what time off people are typically taking; I'm thinking 6 to 8 weeks to give me a really good solid block of time to focus on my recovery. It feels very strange to be contemplating such a long time off work; the longest I've had off sick previously was 5 days following a motorbike accident in 2003.

Hope you're sleeping well and will have another great day tomorrow! These post-op threads are such an inspiration. I hope I do half as well when my time comes. :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 08:18:51 AM »
Cosmic great news that your day was a better one so pleased and driving yipeeee!!! Snowy's right you need to try to get your multi colourd photos on here and share your stunning bruising.
Your son sounds so sweet I think its harder for boys to show how they feel My son has been pretty good especially when I get home from work and am having a wee moan about how sore my knee is or something, he will go and take the washing in or set the table or something that he wouldn't have thought about without being asked before, he's even been taking the dog out for a walk which has always been a bug bear with us.
Snowy funny you posted about time off cos I just asked Clarus that question all my clients are asking when and for how lone, their all trying to work in their colours etc so they dont need done while i'm off, My o.s told me he gives the advice of a minimum of 6 weeks but more often than not a bit longer and as I stand all day he thought a lot longer for me but not to sure how long a lot longer is 2 weeks? 4 weeks? who knows.
Well work is calling so take care all Tez 
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline jamiec123

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »
Hi Cosmic,

Really pleased you had a better day!!  In the early stages of my recovery i felt like id have a couple of good days and then a bad day where i felt my leg was never going to get better!  The best thing i can recommend is when your feeling rubbish about it and regret having it done, just think to your ultimate goal, why did you have it done?  what do you want to be able to do again that you couldnt do without having the op?  For me, football was a huge incentive, hobbling over to watch my team play without me was such a big motivation to get myself going again!!

Here's to many more good days :)

Jay
Sep '09 - Torn ACL, Bone Bruising, Medial Ligament Grade 1 strain
Dec '09 - Discovery that ACL stump getting caught in joint
Jan '10 - Scope to trim ACL stump
Mar '10 - ACL Reconstruction (LARS)
June -10 - Swimming and Cycling pain free, awaiting advance to running

support