Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cosmic's ACLr - hmmm cat or gibbon graft??? Paper pants or commando?  (Read 155675 times)

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
So here I am after a long 8 months with just a few hours to go before I get my shiny new ACL (hamstring).

It's 02:42 and I have to leave for hospital at 06:30 but having fallen asleep downstairs watching a triathlon (all those knees!!) I'm now in bed and wide awake.

This time the period of compromised mobility is different..I've gained an insight into the range of outcomes from reading posts on KG and feel somewhat more prepared mentally than previously. I've had a chance to plan domestic arrangements and stock up the kitchen cupboards (late night Asda shopping including bags of ICE!), so it all seems terribly civilised!

Lottie and Wicki - cat or gibbon? (quite fancy the option of nine lives and being able to land on my feet no matter how far I drop)! Paper pants or commando?

I'm being hosted by Bournemouth Hospital - they have a brand new Day Case Unit (opened Feb2010) - aimed at streamlining the experience and preserving the dignity of patient (paper pants then  ;D ).... my TKD instructor was there two weeks ago for an ankle op and says it's amazingly wel equipped and silky smooth on organisation.

Despite being Day Case I'm due to stay in overnight so will tickle the keys from my morphine steeped haze on Thursday.

TTFN  ;D

xx
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Cosmic - GOOD LUCK! If I have the time difference right, you may even be up and about and heading to the hospital now.

I hope all goes smoothly and well, and the next time you wake up you'll be on your way to a knee that's better and stronger than before.

Will be sending good and healing thoughts your way tomorrow.

Kay
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Just had a text photo of a lovely looking leg and message from Cosmic - she is reconstructed, femoral blocked and through the other side! Waiting for her dinner and brace to be fitted (assuming only the latter will be on her leg....)

Speedy recovery Cosmic!!! No gibbon or cat parts were apparently used in the making of the new knee....... ;D :o

I think it was paper pants all the way too. Classy bird is Cosmic  ;)

Lottie x :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Cosmic congrats on the brand new acl, hope all went well, and look forward to every detail of the whole day. I need to know what lies ahead for me so all details gratefully recieved, unless they are really gross then I dont want to know  :P
I hope you get a good nights drug induced sleep tonight and the family survive a whole night without you.
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline jamiec123

• Regular Poster
Cosmic, congrats on the ACL :)

I hope the op went smoothly and i hope the next few days are relatively pain free!

Looking forward to hearing how it all went and how you progress over the coming weeks, i want to compare it with my LARS!!

Jay x
Sep '09 - Torn ACL, Bone Bruising, Medial Ligament Grade 1 strain
Dec '09 - Discovery that ACL stump getting caught in joint
Jan '10 - Scope to trim ACL stump
Mar '10 - ACL Reconstruction (LARS)
June -10 - Swimming and Cycling pain free, awaiting advance to running

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
Home - finally!! Even the nurses cheered when I was discharged  ;D

OK Tez - just for you - a blow by blow account - paper pants and all.

Day 0 - Operation Day

Arrived at hospital 07:15 and was seen by pre-op nurse, anaesthetist and OS. Sat with a lovely lady called Emma (I think all Emma's must be lovely!)who was also having a left knee ACLr (skiing accident in Austria in January - one for you Snowy :-) ). We we OK until we were given information on the femoral block, which said the block was done whilst you were sedated but awake. That tipped us both over the edge, so united in our ACL-deficiency we hugged!!

...and the paper pants deserve a mention... they don't have a front and back so don't try to find it! They are hipper grippers - rolling them into low slung hipsters just gives you a front botty bulge so don't try to lessen the impact they make by getting fashionista with them LoL!

Scheduled to start op at 08:30 - walked to anaesthetic room to be greeted by three gents in green! "Hopped" onto the table, had a line put into the back of my hand and Chief-Green-Chappy started fiddling with ultrasound in my groin area (thank heavens for those paper pants!) for the femoral block. I didn't realise but Green Chappy number 2 was already infusing sedation - so as I craned to look at the ultrasound (much to the surprise of Groin-fiddling-Green-Chap) and tried to apologise for "interfering but I was just curious" I remember watching the ceiling flowing through the doors, a mask coming over my face and then....

"She really does take a long time to come round doesn't she"!!

I'm rubbish with anaesthetics. 40 minutes later and I still couldn't speak or move. Woke in some significant discomfort - mainly down the back of my thigh into my knee and at the top of my calf.
The rest of the afternoon is a blur - I was taken onto a day-case ward at 12:30 , took my phone out to text peeps and the world was spinning - my blood pressure dropped drastically... stayed on oxygen for four hours drifting in and out. The leg felt sore but OK if I could keep it still, until it needed to move.
If you've ever had cramp in your hamstring down the back of your thigh and into your calf - the sort of cramp that makes you want to pass out and throw up - my leg feels like it's in the aftermath of a mammoth cramp session!

I had to stay in overnight (which I'd guessed as i've always reacted badly to anaesthetics), missed my x-ray, dinner, and most importantly PT and crutches.... which meant I was bed bound until the PT came today.

How long could I last before I needed a pee  :-[ ?... amazing what worries you most in these situations! I did try to limit my drinking (not advisable) but by 10pm my 5:30am cappuccino was making itself known. A couple of ladies had tried the bedpan but failed... so mine was filled to rapturous applause. Dignity takes on another meaning in hospital! The nurses were going to find me a "well done" sticker  ;D .

Day 2

Woke at 5am to the lady n the next bed snoring. My Hug-Buddy ACLr Emma was in the bed opposite  - her femoral block hadn't worked, so she was on morphine.
My femoral block was (is?) great - I could certainly feel (or as it were - not feel) the difference between my left and right leg....much numbness - it's wearing off slowly.

I'm on a regime of paracetamol, morphine and diclofenic.

Finally got to see the PT at 1pm. .... no brace, crutches PWB and trying to get as normal a gait, basic exercises. Extension seems to be OK, not at lockout but swelling and pain are getting in the way. Resting with heel on a cushion and Lottie's loaned cryo-cuff which feel really good.

I can do SLRs and have been doing loads of ankle pumps and rotations. That is better than after my scope in January when I couldn't lift it off the bed at all.

The wounds are fine - the big crepe bandage came off before I came home and has been covered with showerproof dressings. Some bruising at the graft harvest site (the cat and gibbon were incompatible) and a bit bloody. I used some wet wipes (don't leave home without them) to remove the iodine and big black arrow (I no longer look like I've been tangoed or have a Simon Cowell suntan).

I was still waiting for an x-ray - they finally wheeled me down at 3:30! Apparently there had been a note on my x-ray request saying not to call me down before 3pm as I was still unwell! The nurses were really apologetic, I was actually glad of the time to rest - there was nothing to do but relax and chill, just what the doctor ordered  :D .

Much like before I'm finding limitations as I try to do"Stuff" and it's a case of gently trying things and knowing it'll change day to day.

If I can do it anyone can!

Thanks for your support guys 'n' gals - looking forward to catching up with your latest news.

xx
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
Cosmic
I appreciate the details most important in my education of all thing knee related ;)
As for the fetching paper pants I was introduced to them when I had my scope in Jan and you describe them perfectly
Also the seeing how long you can last before you have to pee I am an expert as during a previous surgery [non knee related]
I lasted from approx 10 in the morning just before surgery untill 8am next day felt like something was going to burst but movement meant pain and pain not good :P the threat of a catherter did the trick lol
Really please your through the sugery and feeling so up beat look forward to your next update, look after yourself or better still get the kids to look after you for a change
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
A lovely night's rest at home in my own bed - woke once at about 3am, and then at just before 6am which is usual rising time for school (helped by light mornings and the loud happy antics of the bird population outside!

Slept with the cry-cuff on  ... after so many months I think I must be used to sleeping in the same position so woke exactly how I went to sleep..... I guess not moving much in bed helps....and of course the pain relief (which I am being very diligent about!).

Just done some quad sets - straightening and pushing knee into bed - hammy feels bruised, bone bruising is tender where I guess it's been aggravated again, but all in all I'm surprised at how little pain is coming from the knee joint itself  ;D
Plucking up the courage to try some heel slides ..... 

Friday guys ... weekend's nearly here - Tez, what's everyone up to today, I'm losing track....?...
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
...I forgot to say - I was tucked up last night by my Mum  :-*

I'm 41 years old and it was still a lovely feeling :-))) ....
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
Cosmic ooooooh a full night's sleep i'm so jelous ,but You deserve it so I really dont grudge you the luxuary :D
 Might be wrong but dont think there is much occuring today, Snowy is still waiting to hear about her surgery date so unless that happens today I think there aint nothing going on, but if anyone knows of something I dont, please share lol.
Do you really think the cryo-cuff is something worth investing in for post surgery? not sure if I can justify the expense!!!!!!
I really like this not too much pain thing keep it coming.
Have a good restfull day Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
Re: Cosmic's ACLr - hmmm cat or gibbon graft??? Paper pants or commando?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 08:44:43 AM »
I'm very lucky as Lottiefox won the cryo-cuff on eBay, then postponed her surgery so lent it to me. It is very therapeutic - very easy to refresh/keep cold and the compression helps BUT I do think it is a lot of money (at full price) for what it is ... like you I was toying with the idea of getting one but couldn't really justify the expense.

Keep your eye on eBay, you may get a bargain! Alternatively I've read people using latex gloves filled with ice and held in place with a tubi-grip...

Heel slides/flexion - just got to about 80o (with a bit of support) - swelling and general discomfort prevent further movement just yet. Trying to be realistic in relaying the pain in posts - it hurts, but no more than the original injury or the scope in January to release the lock, and the pain meds keep it in check.
No pain no gain eh ;-) ...

Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 08:50:23 AM »
Woohooo Cosmic that was a VERY coherent post last night about your experience!! Is it wrong to say I'd be more scared about the femoral block than the op itself?! Sounds like it all passed in a blur though, literally. :P That wasn't me in the next bed, although all Emmas are genetically pre programmed to knacker our knees up. ;)

I'm delighted that the Cryo-Cuff is getting good usage, Bob is happy for Stumps to be road testing it. Tez, I got mine on Ebay, it was quite a lot cheaper than new and had been used about 3 times from the look of it. As long as you give it a really good clean and sterilise I am sure there is no problem with using a 2nd hand one (unless it is dead manky obviously!!!).

Sounds like the quads are firing well, all that pre-hab has paid off and I suspect that you'll get ROM back faster than after the evil scope of the devil earlier this year. The knee has all of its bits now! perhaps now is the time to train the dog to be one of those "aid" dogs to fetch what you need?!

Friday - reckon you're going to be up for the seaside and cake expedition in a weeks time with no problems!! (I might be hobbling along on a cripped foot with a well behaved knee at the moment!!! Sand and paddling please?!!)

Sending you hugs and thoughts across the cyber waves..

Lotttie xx

Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 12:38:53 PM »
Lottie - I lost count of the times I dozed off and had to rewrite sections coz they made no sense at all.... glad it seemed coherent in the end!
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)

Offline Clarus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 01:47:17 PM »
Hi Cosmic, brilliant post op post :D

Glad you're home safe and sound, hope your family are 'mucking in' as required - I know it made a huge difference to me that everyone was willing to help (albeit occasionally with a gentle reminder in some cases ;) )

How is it going today?
xc
ACL rupture March 2010
ACLr (Hamstring) 26 April 2010

Offline jamiec123

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 02:12:39 PM »
Tez - In my personal opinion, the cryo cuff is worth every penny.  I bought mine brand new and i dont know what i wouldve done without it!  i still use it now, 8 weeks on.  I would completely recommend anyone to buy one, i know they are circa 100 but to me it was the best 100 i had ever spent!!

Jay
Sep '09 - Torn ACL, Bone Bruising, Medial Ligament Grade 1 strain
Dec '09 - Discovery that ACL stump getting caught in joint
Jan '10 - Scope to trim ACL stump
Mar '10 - ACL Reconstruction (LARS)
June -10 - Swimming and Cycling pain free, awaiting advance to running