Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Removing a fragment from around knee  (Read 782 times)

Offline squibler

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Removing a fragment from around knee
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:41:40 PM »
I found that I have a small (probably about 1 centimeter big) fragment of something floating under my kneecap, directly over my patellar tendon.  I'm guessing that it's either bone, cartilage, or scar tissue (I had a lateral release in early last year), but I haven't been to the doctor so I don't know for sure.  It's a bit painful to push on and is very painful to kneel on.  I don't want to run to the doctor right away, so I'm going to see if the piece migrates somewhere where it doesn't bother me.

I'm sure that others have had this same problem, so I was wondering what an ortho. would do about it.  Is it usually removed, and if so, how to they remove it?  Is it usually a simple arthroscopic surgery?  Is there a non surgical way to resolve this?

Thank you for reading  :) 

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Removing a fragment from around knee
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
I just had to have a loose piece removed about a month ago. Very simple surgery done with the scope. Only took about 30, was not even on crutches afterwards. So glad I did it, it somehow lodged its way in the joint. My symptoms were alot of catching when walking. Couldnt tell you how or why it happens it just can. :)
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

support