Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PT vs ORTHO Opinion  (Read 1331 times)

Offline FFSmasher

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PT vs ORTHO Opinion
« on: May 17, 2010, 04:53:25 PM »
I had ACL reconstruction with a hamstring graft done on 11-23-09. I've had no complications and I've been rehabing since week 1. I've progressed very nicely and began plyometric / sport specific drills mid march. I began sprinting and weight resistant plyometric (weighted vest) in April. My physical therapist cleared me for full activity in the beginning on May.

The last time I spoke with the Ortho was mid March. He said I'm doing well and keep continuing with no cutting. I've progressed past this with my PT and I've done heavy plyometric drills involving hard cutting maneuvers. The last time I spoke with him he said he will see me again in June, and in the mean time keep up the therapy. I asked him about Softball and Hockey during the summer (mainly Softball). He said Softball will not be an option come the summer (6 months Post OP). This was actually going against his own word because pre-op he said ACL's take about 6 months. He's told me he will most likely have me wait 9 months before any competitive sports.

My predicament is that my PT has cleared me, and my doctor said I can't play anything for 9 months. My PT is hands on while my doctor hasn't even given me any kind of physical examination to see how I am doing. How can he judge my progress without getting his hands dirty?

I've already began playing Softball (pickup) and the season actually starts tonight. I am happy to say that I am starting; although it bothers me that my doctor said no way.

Do you guys think that since my PT has cleared me that I should be good to go? Is there something the doctor may know that my PT does not?

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
Re: PT vs ORTHO Opinion
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 05:15:11 PM »
Is there something your Ortho might know that your PT does not?  Hmmm, well, your Ortho is the one who attended Medical School and your PT is not.  Although PT's are more hands on in your rehab and Orthos are less so, always keep in mind that the ortho is the one who surgically fixed your knee and the one that has the extensive training.

As a general rule of thumb, I would always follow your Ortho and not your PT.  If your Ortho wants you to wait a few more months, there is generally a reason for that. 

In situations like these, I look at what is stood to be gained versus what is potentially going to be lost.  I understand the desire to be back out there playing softball and doing something that you love.  However, 6 months is really not that long after surgery and the risk of re-injury is a lot greater in the early months.  From my experiences, you are always better to wait...allow your leg to get stonger.  In the grand scheme of things, 3 months is not that long.

Again, always follow the advice from an Ortho.  While PT's are more hands on, they did not go to Medical School and they should not be the ones making decisions about when you can return to sports.

12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
12/17/07 TTT revision, MPFL recon R
2/7/08 TTT revision, MPFL recon L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Knees are fixed, training for a triathalon.

9/21/09- Right ankle reconstruction

Offline FFSmasher

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »
My problem with the Ortho is that he's not a private practitioner, I went with whatever my insurance gave me. I don't feel as if it's personal with him. Every time I see him he's in a hurry to get to the next patient and doesn't give me quality time, or even a physical exam and thats why my confidence and trust is with my physical therapist. I trust him to not put me in danger during the high intensity rehab, and I trusted his judgment as far as progressing back to sports. Although there is always that little voice in the back of your head that can scare you no matter what the doctors say.

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 05:41:07 PM »
I think just about anyone on this board can relate to the feeling of an Ortho that seems to not care or take any time.  I know I have had appointments with Orthos that the doctor is in and out in less than one minute.  Frustrating and discouraging.  It can be so easy to build that trust with your PT because they are there for so much of your rehab, you work one on one with them for many months and they have such an investiment in your recovery. 

Even so, its still a general good principle to follow the guidelines set forth by your Ortho.  Although the OS might seem distant and impersonal, he is still the one with the Medical Training.  If you have doubt with what your OS has told you, it might be a good idea to call his office and ask for further clarification.  It can be difficult to get through with some OS's offices, but be persistant and make sure they listen to you.

12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
12/17/07 TTT revision, MPFL recon R
2/7/08 TTT revision, MPFL recon L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Knees are fixed, training for a triathalon.

9/21/09- Right ankle reconstruction

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:50:20 AM »
Hi there,

The standard for being out of sport after an ACL reco is between 9 and 12 months. It is just not worth taking the risk.

As has been said on this thread, your OS has had extensive medical training and is the one more qualified to give answers on this.

Good luck !
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 11:51:55 AM »
P.S. I always follow my OS's advice over my physio's and that is what my physio expects too.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline HoovSS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 03:12:44 PM »
FFSmasher

I understand your situation.  I am in PT for a different knee injury and want to get back on the field as soon as possible.  I would trust the surgeon on this one.  The surgeon was in your knee doing the repairs.  While the progress you've made is great, it's not worth rushing back and risking injury a second time.  The earliest you see professional athletes come back from ACL repairs is 8-9 months.  If it means missing all or part of the season you will be better off long term.  Why add risk of needing a knee replacement later in life for a few At Bats?

- HoovSS

Offline FFSmasher

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 04:44:09 PM »
Well, my doctor told me pre-op that I would be out for 6 months. I took the accelerated rehab route (which cost me a lot of money) for a reason. I wanted to return to recreational play at 6 months, and competitive play at 8-9. I've played 4 games since Sunday, and all is well at this point.

RugbyGal

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 10:24:05 AM »
AWESOME! its good to be back in action. right ? In my opinion, just listen to your body and dont over do it in the beginning.  I think it also depends on the kinds of sport your doing.  I mean you are doing Softball which has much less impact than rugby or MMA or marathon running.  For me Im allowed to go back to sports at this point, but my doctor has only approved of boxing, sailing and rowing at this moment in time not to my dear rugby yet. 

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 02:23:10 PM »
are you playing fastpitch or slow pitch ? I would have no problems playing local slow pitch with my injury but, I can't break into my senior leauge (#1 in the draft last season) because of my knee, I'm taking at LEAST this season off.
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline FFSmasher

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 03:34:02 PM »
Feels good to be back is an understatement. I'm ecstatic; however it's not my main goal. My main goal is to get back to dek hockey (hockey on feet). It's slow pitch high arc softball. It's much less demanding on my knee than my therapy; or my circuit training. I'm looking to start playing pickup hockey games at the end of June \ Beginning of July. I've already started shooting and stick handling and all that good stuff; just haven't made the leap back to competitive play. Knee feels great; and my confidence is already starting to boost back up.

My Quad is very strong; easy 90% + of my good leg. My hamstring is still weaker than my good leg, maybe 80%. I'm going to start stepping up my hamstring rehab game.

Deadlifts + glute bridge work on the ball + hamstring curls + running. Anyone have any other good workouts for hamstring rehab?

Offline HoovSS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 04:02:20 AM »
Glad to hear you are getting back to competitive activity.  In addition to strengthening your hamstring, be sure to incorporate flexibility and stretching as well.  You need elasticity to handle full activity without injury.  Warming up before you play is important but stretching the muscles after playing and then icing the joint are crucial.