Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Weather ughhh  (Read 910 times)

Offline bumknee83

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Weather ughhh
« on: May 17, 2010, 02:22:21 AM »
I had surgery Oct 15 and Dec 7 last year.  Oct 15 surgery they did an tib osteotomy and reconstruction with a donor ligament.  Dec 7 they did an ORIF of the patella.  The only major problem Im noticing is when the weather turns bad my knee is painful, swollen, unstable.  If I sit for too long and get up it takes sometime for my knee to 'wake up'.  Even in good weather it takes sometime for it to come around in the mornings.  Im wondering if this is because the hardware or because of arthritis.  Looking up post traumatic arthritis I have all the same symptoms but it normally dont come about for years after the injury, its barely been 6 months since the surgery.  In good weather Im relatively fine like I was before, its just in the mornng I have problems or if Ive sat down for too long.  What do you guys think?
Apr 05-right MPFL repair
May 08-tore right medial meniscus
Jun-Sept 09 4 patella D/L
Aug 09-had CT scan
10/15/09 rt medial closing wedge HTO/MPFL recon w/ transplant
12/4/09 rt patella fx
12/7/09 rt ORIF
6/10 shifting hardware and non-union
7/10 patella h/w removal
7/12 need tibia h/w removal

RugbyGal

Re: Weather ughhh
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 11:15:48 AM »
oh youll get that for a long time...My os warned me about the weather pains..sometimes a bit of stationary biking would alleviate the problem or a bit of stretching.  Humid moist weather kills my knees

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Weather ughhh
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 03:15:28 AM »
It happens to me too in my injured knee - stiffness and swelling, especially when the weather turns damp - and I haven't even reached surgery yet.  :-\ I also find that gentle biking is a really good way of loosening up the knee when it's having a reaction to the weather, so might be worth a try for you.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

support