Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Questions about non weight bearing status???  (Read 7286 times)

Offline nursedeb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Questions about non weight bearing status???
« on: May 16, 2010, 12:47:15 AM »
Hi,
I had microfracture/abrasion chondroplasty on June 19th. I was told to be non weight bearing on left leg for six weeks. I have been doing pretty good so far, but I've had a few mis-steps. Twice, after waking up from a sleep and feeling somewhat disoriented, I forgot about the non weight bearing status, and stepped on my left leg. I knew as soon as I did I thought oh crap!!! I've also had a few times where some doghair got caught underneath my crutches and in order to keep myself from falling, I had to step on my bad leg. Now, I'm feeling very worried and somewhat paranoid. I can't imagine that the few times I've stepped on my bad leg would damage the outcome of my surgery. I was just wondering has anyone else had this happen to them and what are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Debbie

Offline edfromny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Questions about non weight bearing status???
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 03:46:36 PM »
Hi Deb,
    I hope that you're recovery is coming along without too many problems.  I also had microfracture done on my right knee back on Feb 23,2010.  I also had a few missteps while I was NWB.  From what I can gather, it's pretty common.  It's almost impossibe to move around on those crutches for 6 weeks without a few slips.  I recently saw my OS and he declared the surgery a success although I still have a loooooooooooooong way to go with rehabbing it. I'm not a doctor or expert except for my own case but I don't think you have anything to worry about with a couple of missteps. Good Luck.       ed
February 23, 2010  Microfracture rt knee FMC
February 23, 2010 meniscectomy rt knee
April 05, 2010 return to weightbearing

Offline nursedeb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:18:10 PM »
Hi Ed,
Thank you so much for your input. When you first started walking again, how was it? Was it painful, were you slow, did you have to use crutches or wear a brace. I am a bit nervous about that, because the few times I put weight on my bad leg, ouch it hurt!
Thanks,
Debbie
Also, I would appreciate your opinion on something. I am anticipating returning to work tomorrow. I am a nurse case manager in a hospital which involves a lot of walking. However, my boss said she can put me at the desk and have me doing computer/phone work. I still have two weeks of non wt brg to go. I am concerned about how I am going to keep my leg elevated and keep ice on it for 8 hours. I'm still on FMLA and its approved through 5/31. Do you think I am trying to return too soon, and that I should just take it easy at home for the next two weeks?

Offline edfromny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 03:10:48 PM »
Hi Deb,
     I'm not going to lie to you, it was scary to walk after NWB for 6 weeks.  The day before I went to see my OS about returning to weight bearing, I started putting more weight on my knee while crutching about. (I'm not recommending this.)  I wanted to walk without crutches ASAP.  Long story short, next day he says that I can return to FWB as early as I feel comfortable.  I put the crutches away that day and never looked back. It was very scary to take the first couple steps because I did not trust my knee to hold me up. Walking was painful and slow, however, I own my own business and I NEED to walk around here A LOT so I felt that as long as there was no swelling that I wasn't doing too much. I could get around much easier and faster on the crutches but I didn't feel like that was going to help me learn to walk.  My advice is to do what feels best for YOU. If you need weaning from the crutches, then start walking with more weight on your knee using two crutches, then go to one crutch, and then a cane if you need to.  I would think that everyone is different.
    As far as going back to work, again, I think it depends on how you feel, and how your knee handles it. I personally couldn't wait to get up off that couch and get back into my life.  I was working full days with the crutches 4 weeks after the surgery.  In my case, I was fortunate that my knee did not swell up at all, even without icing and elevating it. I think that if it had, I would have backed down and taken it slower.  This forum helped me to realize that it's a slow process coming back.  With that knowledge, I have been able to accept the fact that it's going to be while and to be patient and stay the course.  Hang in there and Good Luck.                                       ed
February 23, 2010  Microfracture rt knee FMC
February 23, 2010 meniscectomy rt knee
April 05, 2010 return to weightbearing

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 11:00:52 PM »
Hi deb-I doubt you will find anybody who was NWB for an extended period who didnt have a slip up at one time or another. I jumped out of bed to answer the phone on day 3 post-op and made it several steps on my bad leg before i caught myself. I had a couple of other slips later on from trying to do too much, so i would advise against that. I told my OS about these incidents and he said that a few impacts rarely cause any problems. I know from experience how scary it is when it happens, but i bet you will be fine. Good luck!
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC