Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Please help. So much pain  (Read 1115 times)

Offline jane77

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please help. So much pain
« on: May 11, 2010, 10:42:57 AM »
Please help. I can't stand this pain. Last night was terrible. The pain that woke me at 2am was 9/10 stuff.  It feels like my patella is dislocating itself.  I can feel it popping and then at night when asleep - it just flips.  This is 3 years now and now 7 weeks of the tough stuff. I feel I am losing it. I haven't slept well for 7 weeks. I am scared to lie down now. Should I have a pillow under the knee or what? Are there strong painkillers for this? The pain goes down my shin bone to my feet. I nearly pass out trying to drive the car. But I have some days better than others. Its weird. Surgeon was rude 3 years ago and sent me off due to prev DVT history. But I have to go back. I can't take this much longer.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Please help. So much pain
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 02:04:29 PM »
Definately get to an OS.  If the first surgeon won't do anything because of a previous DVT, see another one.  There are precautions they can take for DVT.  Have you tried to wrap your knee or tried an over the counter brace while you sleep?  Not sure if it would help or not.

'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline jane77

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 05:49:15 AM »
Last night was the worst ever. I woke this morning, walked 3 steps and then collapsed with pain.   I could barely make it back to bed.  It has been 8 hours and I am only just getting onto feet now...    Hubbie went to drug store and was able to get some codeine based tablets.  It is still 5 days until I see a Dr. I just don't know how to manage. I can't even get crutches so have been trying to manage with 2 walking sticks.

I can't wear knee braces - they cut off the circulation. The last OS was good and is considered the best. He just explained that despite all precautions that I am still high risk for clots and he could not guarantee avoiding another. I had to be a lot sicker before he would consider it.  That was 3 years ago and I have managed since then but this last injury - 7 weeks ago - is not responding at all. :'(

I have to travel 200km on a bumpy old bus to see him, and I do not know how I will manage the pain.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 06:36:29 PM »
I'm so sorry you are in such pain.  Does icing the area help at all?  A long bus ride does not sound like much fun when you are in pain.  Is there someone you can maybe ask for a ride?  Not sure of your situation, so not sure if another form of transportation is available.  I sure hope they can figure something out for you.  What is the reason you cannot get crutches?  Some phamacies will rent them to you.  Maybe once you see the doc, their office can get you a pair.  Two sticks it not enough if the pain is that bad.  I would be concerned you would fall.

'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

support