Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Upcoming osteotomy in June  (Read 784 times)

Offline granite_grl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Upcoming osteotomy in June
« on: May 14, 2010, 08:13:04 PM »
Greeting...Newbie here that has been lurking for a few weeks. My surgery is now booked and thought I'd introduce myself  :)

I've been dealing with OA for a few years now and have been dealing well enough but the last year the OA has gotten much worse and it's been affecting what I love to do the most and that is rock climb and hike so it's time to get this fixed! My surgery (opening wedge osteotomy) is booked for June 14th and while I am happy that it will be done, I am also terribly nervous! It'll mean a summer with no rock climbing but I am hoping that will turn into many, many years of rock climbing ahead!

I plan on taking two weeks off (I work full time as a Project Manager) for those that have had the same surgery, is two weeks off enough time? I've used up my paid vacation for the year so this will be unpaid time off so I am trying to take as little off as possible. Any feedback would be very much appreciated! Also looking for feedback on total recovery time. My surgeon said 4-6 weeks no weight bearing but didn't mention total recovery time.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and I'll be sure and start a Post-Op diary!

Cheers,
Janet

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
Re: Upcoming osteotomy in June
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 01:45:15 AM »
Hi Janet!

I just had a Fulkerson Osteotomy 2 weeks ago today, and although it is a different surgery, the Fulkerson also involved cutting the bone.  So I thought I'd tell you how I've been doing.  At 2 weeks out I'm still only Toe Touch Weight Bearing on crutches and will be for another 4 weeks.  Ugh, I hate my crutches.  Anyways, the pain has been pretty minimal for the past week or so, and I've cut down majorly on the pain pills.  The main source of pain for me is from the MPFL ligament reconstruction, not the Fulkerson Osteotomy. 

I'm guessing that at 2 weeks you'll be alright to work.  It may be a struggle and you will have to adjust to doing things differently.  Keeping your leg elevated and iced will help you feel better faster because it helps with the swelling.  I hope you find someone else who has had this particular surgery and can give you advice.  At any rate, you can check out my Post-Op diary for (much) more detail. 

Good luck!
-Jen
1999-ish: L knee hyperextension on trampoline
4/30/2010 Fulkerson Osteotomy and MPFL/LPFL reconstruction
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline sharonsknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 04:17:13 PM »
Hi Janet,

I also rock climb & hike but am limited with knee pain. HTO was recommended for me. Was wondering how you were making out with your recovery. Hope all is well. Thanks,

Sharon

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 03:48:23 PM »
Hi Sharon (well, and Janet...but you're probably up and about by now ;-)):

I had an open wedge distal femoral osteotomy in January. My knee doesn't bug me in the slightest right now. (Well--the medial side, the "good" side, is adjusting to bearnig more weight, but the bad side feels fine)

I have not yet returned to running--although I was given the okay to do so, if I wanted to. I am waiting until this fall/winter, so I can give it a good 8-10 months to heal (I had a complication that resulted in an additional femur fracture). I am, however, walking 4-7 miles most days, and riding my mountain bike or road bike for 1-4 hours a day, as well. I still lack a few degrees flexion and extension, and my left leg is significantly weaker still, but nothing that isn't to be expected.

I had relatively little pain from the procedure itself, and had I not broken my femur on my own, I would have been mobile much faster.

89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

support