Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TEZ HAS A FANTASTIC NEW O.S  (Read 8575 times)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
TEZ HAS A FANTASTIC NEW O.S
« on: May 14, 2010, 04:11:21 PM »
Thank you everyone who has given me good wishes and encouragement I really appreciate it.
I have the most fantastic new o.s, he spent 45 min's with me talking and more importantly listening to me, more so than any other doctor have have been to with my knee in the last 2 years.
He did all the differet tests lachmans etc and at first I found it really difficult to relax enough for him to feel the deficiency of the acl but he eventually got me to relax enough to feel how lax it is.
He is a bit concerned about the pain I am having as usually there is not alot of pain this long after a rupture so he has said that he thinks I deffo need the reconstruction but ther could be something else going on in the joint, if he finds something  when he goes in to the knee he may decide to sort that out first and see what things are like after that, but he is hopefull that the recon will go ahead, he uses the hamstring graft and he explained how it would be done, I should go in on the Monday and out on the Tuesday or Wednesday depending how things go, the wait is approx 12 weeks but I may be offered an earlier date at a different hospital, not to sure if I would do that cos Mr Buchan [new o.s] seems to know exactly what he is doing and I feel very comfortable with him, I guess I would have to see if the situation arose and then do some reserch on whomever I was going to have at the new hospital.
Another thing to consider is my private physio Paul is a good friend of Mr Buchan so if I was having any problems etc after surgery he would be abel to contact him easily.
So I am very pleased with the outcome of my appointment today I really feel that I am now on the road to getting this knee sorted once and forever.       
Thanks again for all the support and encouragment Take care Tez 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 04:19:08 PM by tez27 »
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline xhui

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: TEZ HAS A FANTASTIC NEW O.S
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »
Hi there tez,

I'm really glad and happy for you that you found a great OS to listen and be empathetic to your cause of pain and discomfort. We all know how important it is for our doctors to believe what we are experiencing and attempt to work on them.

Keep us updated (as encouragements to us all) and my thoughts are with you as you proceed with treatment and working towards that pain free knee again!

Take care!
Nov 09 - injury: twisted left knee
Jan 10  - first appointment with Ortho doc
Feb 10  - MRI showed normal, nothing conclusive
Mar 10  - started PT for a month
15 Apr 10 - Arthroscopy, medial meniscus trim (frayings)

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 05:10:09 PM »
Hooray!  ;D

Am so happy for you, it all sounds like things are starting to work out for you at last, and it's brilliant that the O.S. and the physio are close-it makes such a difference. 

It's lovely to hear how much he listened to you aswel-sometimes after having lots of problems it feels like no-one's listening to you..and it IS your knee after all!

:)
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »
Tez, that is fantastic news! I'm so pleased that things are finally going to get sorted out for you, and that you have an OS who's willing to listen and work on exactly what you need to recover.

I think you're absolutely right to want to stick with this guy now you've found him; having waited so long already it's worth waiting just a little bit longer to work with an OS you're comfortable with. It sounds like his friendship with your physio will be worth its weight in gold for your recovery period, too - a lot of people I've talked to haven't really had a lot of follow up from their surgeons beyond the official appointments.

Great news going into the weekend! :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline toughsteakdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 07:53:57 PM »
Just want to join all the others Tez on your 'feel good factor' about your meeting.  To know that you are truly listened to and given the time to tell 'your story' means so much psychologically...and to set the goals for you must mean so much after waiting so long.......its an acknowledgement of all the 'pain' of it all ....all the waiting...I bet you sleep tonight Tez!!!!!!!

Now you know you are going to be 'looked after' so good on you girl! 8)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »
YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING
Thanks for all the encouragement It has been a really good day. To find an o.s who gets me is a great feeling even though I have a bit of a wait, the surgery and then the rehab still to come the feeling that there is an end in sight makes me very happy lol.
I know Tony's appointment is on Tue and Snowys is next week as well and I hope you both have a positive experience when the time comes. also Cosmic's surgery is next week so fingers crossed that all goes well for you too
Dan I think your right I think I will sleep tonight    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
take care all of you Tez XXX
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline kneetmare

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 09:01:14 PM »
great news tez.. think a few glasses of wine are in order!! good luck on a smooth recovery.. hopefully there is nothing else seriously wrong in there aswell.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 09:15:57 PM »
Or even a glass of champagne.  :D
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 11:38:28 AM »
Hi Tez,

It does help when you have a understanding and supportive OS as some OS's can be like robots and are too serious. When I saw my OS at his private clinic he was fantastic and even cracked a few jokes and had a dry sense of humour. So pleased for you that you have found a decent OS and I am sure he will do all he can to get your knee right again.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 01:04:03 PM »
Although I've already congradulated you on facebook and the intensive PT thread I'll say it agian, CONGRATS TEZ. I'm so glad that you have found a good OS and one that gets you! Like Dan said I'm willing to be you will sleep better now that you know you have everything aranged and it's on its way to getiing better!

Good luck to snowy with her os appointment (one or two days after mine :D ) Good luck to cosmic with the surgery this week, and best of luck to all of us who are still pre-hab ing, rehabbing or just waiting for surgery or whatever else will conme our way!
Tony
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 06:08:51 PM »
That's great news. It seems like it might be worth waiting on this OS's schedule to have him do the operation. He seems to really listen and is very thorough and knowing your PT is a great plus.

Hopefully you'll be done with most of your rehab by the end of the year and you'll have your life back and be able to put all your knee problems behind you.

Good luck.

Kristin
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 07:53:22 PM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Tez that's so cool. I'm so pleased that you have finally found an OS who is prepared to listen and take the time you deserve.

I'm singing inside for you (I won't frighten the kids by singing out loud  ;)  ).

xx

Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 08:04:45 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thank you so much everyone for the good wishes you have no idea how much I apreciate it you guy's are amazing.
I've rallied the troops for a wee night out not that my friends get why I am so happy about upcoming surery but us Scots dont need much encouragement to celebrtate lol so we are off to a freinds pub to chill and enjoy a quiet night [maybe].
For those of you who have had to put up with me complaining about my lack of sleep I GOT A FULL NIGHTS SLEEP LAST NIGHT.
Take care Tez
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture

Offline Clarus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 03:03:09 PM »
Wow Tez
I was thinking about you while I was away at the weekend....
It was so good to read this thread, I'm so very pleased you've found someone who listens properly and actually hears what YOU are saying.
I know you have your holiday coming up next month then it should only be a few more weeks after that until your op. Whatever he finds will at least mean that things are moving forward.

Glad you had a good nights sleep - it's amazing how much easier dealling with 'stuff' seems to be after a decent sleep.

I would do a little dance - but probably best to save it til I'm a few months further on post op  ;D

Good luck to Tony and Snowy on your upcoming appointments and Cosmic for your surgery, and everyone else either prehabing, rehabing, waiting or recovering .
This is such a brilliant place not just for info and advice but for sharing and support too
cheers
clarus
ACL rupture March 2010
ACLr (Hamstring) 26 April 2010

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 04:09:43 PM »
Clarus - thanks for the wishes - you are so right about the KG site, I'd have been lost without it (and have missed out an some tasty lunches with KG pals!)

xx
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs