Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Not as bad as expected  (Read 961 times)

Offline jg5118

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
Not as bad as expected
« on: May 13, 2010, 12:26:11 PM »
Just had an arthroscopy for a large tear in the lateral aspect of the patella. The plan was to tidy up the tear and perform microfracture.  The defect didn't go all the way down so just tidied it up and off I go.

Big advantage of having it done privately in the NHS base of the consultant was that all his team are there so not just the consultant came in to visit after surgery, but both his registrars came in separately too. Certainly wouldn't get that in a private hospital.

Now I'm up and about, only need crutches when I'm out the flat, and that's only as a safety blanket for a couple of days - got most of my movement back already - and no drugs needed.  All I remember about the anaesthetic is that we were discussing who would be the new prime minister (surgery was Tuesday morning) just before I fell asleep. 

J

Offline JVD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Not as bad as expected
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 03:47:36 AM »
I envy you and the team who helped you.  I hope someday I am pain free.

Offline Saints21

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 03:41:50 PM »
I am happy for you!!!

I had to be NWB for 2 months, but now that I lost the crutches I have no pain, can go up and down the stairs etc.. little swelling but thats ok ..

And no, it was not in a weight bearing area, but after all the stress I put the joint on .. (played half the season of flag football with the injury) I think its better that I rested it

Yesterday I even had the nerve to try and use the pushing machine on the gym for the quads.. No Pain!!!! haha but I am still gonna wait one more month before I start that!

Offline jg5118

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 11:15:50 PM »
I ended up staying on the crutches for just under two weeks - slightly overdid it as soon as I went back to work so cut back on things and went back onto them for a couple of days when needed.  I actually rang the physios at one point as it was sore and they at first thought I could have a DVT but when I said it wasn't red and swollen decided that's when I'd overdone it and to go back to crutches if no change by the end of the week.  I just went back on the crutches for 48 hours to give my knee a bit of a rest.

It's not 100% settled yet - I still have some glitches going downstairs or longer than about half a mile - a mile top whack for me.  Off to see the consultant again for my followup in a couple of days.  I sometimes think of my knee as a seatbelt - clunk, click every trip  ;D but it's improving slowly

The only other thing I still get is that my ankle swells up - it could be the heat, could be that I'm still doing a bit much - will also ask about that - and it's only the ankle of the leg I've had surgery on - not both ankles.  I do keep my feet on a footrest at work so they are elevated slightly.

If you want an excellent hospital, just get yourself referred to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore - the consultants really are top notch. 

support