Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Scope scheduled, diagnosis patellar hypertension  (Read 934 times)

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
Scope scheduled, diagnosis patellar hypertension
« on: May 12, 2010, 12:44:51 PM »
So after months of the run-around, I went to see my second OS yesterday. Thought he was going to say I had meniscus damage (that's what I had convinced myself.) But due to normal MRI, tons of xrays and physical exams, he believes I have a somewhat rare condition that affects women in their 20s- patellar hypertension. He wants to do a patellar decompression during the scope and hopefully nothing else will need attention once he gets in there. Surgery scheduled for June 7.

There is basically no information about the procedure online (I see decompressions for tendinitis, but he said he will be drilling a "channel" into the patella to relieve pressure), so I am feeling really lost again! Anyone know anything about this?

thanks!
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Scope scheduled, diagnosis patellar hypertension
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 01:30:47 PM »
Hi there

This is a new one to me and I was about to type - eeeekkkkkkkkk what?!!! But after googling a bit I found this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10875419

It doesn't say much about what exactly is drilled but it sounds like the kind of thing your OS is talking about....and if it is, the outcomes are pretty good!  :D

I think if you've been through plenty of X-rays and exams and the like and are happy that this OS knows what he is talking about and it is the right thing for you, then it could well be a positive experience.

What are your symptoms?

Good luck!

Lottie  :)

Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline kris_83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • the hottest thing on 1.5 legs
Re: Scope scheduled, diagnosis patellar hypertension
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 01:46:05 PM »
Thanks Lottie!

That does sound about right, and
"positive pain provocation test (the typical pain sensation could be reproduced by raising intrapatellar pressure)"
was what he did to me yesterday. I was on my back with my knees bent fully- almost heel to butt- and he made me sit there until it started hurting, which was less than a minute. After a few minutes I told him I was all set with that and almost kicked him in the face trying to straighten my knee quickly!  ;D

Glad to see the results look positive. For six months I have had unpredictable swelling and throbbing pain on the medial side constantly with random shooting pains that appear out of nowhere. Lots of tension, tightness and soreness my hip, quad and patellar tendon. Having the knee bent for more than a few minutes is excruciating, so I can't really sit in a chair normally. I have been to PT twice for a total of almost 9 weeks- can't wait for denied insurance claims to start rolling in! Both times the PTs have been unable to get the inflammation under control and this seems to explain it.

Of course the OS can't promise that he won't find other issues so I am optimistic that this will be my only malady. Feels a bit weird to have read these boards for so long and "diagnosed" myself with a few different things, only to find out in the end I'm the odd ball. The things we do for individuality!
12/09 dx- patellar subluxation (not!)
1/10 mri- neg; PT rx failed
4/10 more PT
5/10 dx patellar hypertension
6/7/10 chrondroplasty, patellar decompression, synovectomy and plica excision
5/6/11 dx RA, sjogren's

support