Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Swollen Knee for 6 Months Straight, No injury, Doctors Have No Idea What it is!  (Read 5295 times)

Offline dandelioncrowns

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
On November 3, 2009 I woke up feeling terrible in my dorm room. I went to the student health center later that day, and they told me I had mono. Three days later I woke up and my right knee was swollen and very sore. I went back to the student health center, where they ran tests and nobody could figure out what it was.

6 months later, I am still dealing with the same sore and very swollen (fluid filled) knee. I have seen two Orthopedic doctors, both of which have given me multiple blood tests, including tests for Lyme disease. Everything has been coming up negative. I've also seen a Rhumetologist who has no idea what it could be. I've had two x-rays which only show knee swelling, but no injury. I've also had an MRI which also showed no injury. I've gotten the fluid removed twice now as well, and both times the fluid has been tested for infection and came back negative. I did experience a week of relief after I got a shot of cortizone in my knee after the fluid was removed.

I'm in a lot of pain, and my knee is still swollen. Does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong? Or even what type of doctor to see next?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:38:34 AM by dandelioncrowns »

Offline digitalmarco

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
hello
did you find out what is was? i have the same problems. I got a sore and swollen knee in august 2010, now 6 months later I still have this problem. the doctors examined me for different diseases like lyme, as etc etc. Nothing was positive. They told me it is a monoartritis e causa ignota.... that is a artritis in 1 joint withoud knowing the cause.

They cannot remove the problem, just symptom treatment....they gave me a synovectomy and later a radiotherapic injection with yttrium. Since 4 months i swallow anti-rheumatic medicines like SASP and methotrexate and also prednisolon. Nothing seams to work.

I have also got 8 (!!!) injections with cortizone, that relieves my pain for a week and then the pain and swelling returns... I hope you will write your results !!!

Offline michellegarrette

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hi there,

I'm also wondering if you've found anything out or had any success with your problem?  I've had this same EXACT problem that you're describing off and on for ten years now!  It only happens for 6-10 weeks in the summer, and it's only skipped two years out of the last ten. 

I've had a couple of MRIs--nothing; some x-rays--nothing; multiple arthrocenteses--nothing.  There are no crystals--no gout; there's no bacteria--not an infection; no blood--no injury; and not even any rheumatiod factors--no arthritis.  My OS wanted to completely excise my synovium.  He said it "usually grows back normally."  And if not, we just replace the knee.  Did I mention that I'm only 29? 

I'm getting suuuper frustrated and I'd love to hear if you've had any luck.  I'm going to google that "monoarthritis e causa ignota."  On the upside, it's nice to hear from some people who have a similar problem.... most people have no idea what I'm talking about!

Offline tmccoy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hello,
It's been a while but I'm hoping someone has an update on this topic.  I too have had a swollen knee for several months, an MRI showing slight arthritis, xrays show nothing, cortizone shot worked for a couple of days.  Anyone have an update?  This is driving me crazy!