Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Avocado soy unsaponifiables (ASU) and breast cancer  (Read 12787 times)

Offline nlgoodman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Avocado soy unsaponifiables (ASU) and breast cancer
« on: May 10, 2010, 08:51:28 PM »
Hi;

I hope there are some experts out there who can help me unsnarl a really confusing issue.  One of the few arthritis supplements that gets a strong thumbs-up by Cochrane Reviews (a source of critical reviews of scientific studies) is ASU.  This is composed of phytosterols from avocado and soy. I have been advised not to take soy supplements because of being at high risk of breast cancer.  Soy has chemicals that mimic the effect of estrogen and so can cause growth of some breast cancers. However, I have read that the estrogenic chemicals in soy are isoflavones (e.g., genistein) - these are in a different chemical group than the phytosterols (e.g., campesterol).  I have found contradictory information on the estrogenic effects of phytosterols.

Can anyone point me to research on whether ASU has estrogenic effects?

RugbyGal

Re: Avocado soy unsaponifiables (ASU) and breast cancer
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:26:37 AM »
Thats a really great question...Ive always debated about soy products and their homonal like characteristics.  Ive read in some fitness magazines that soy can be benefitial to the joint but in others i heard it is counterproductive to muscle growth.  If i was in ur shoes, Id avoid taking soy or soy products to err on the safe side.  You might want to try out gelatin, ginger , Omega 3 glucosamine for its anti inflammatory properties.  I think those withstood the tests of time. 

Offline mpaninop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Avocado soy unsaponifiables (ASU) and breast cancer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 02:28:24 PM »
Not much chance that this will ever generate a response at this point, I suppose,. and I see that the poster only ever posted once, but I"m just chiming in here to say that I have the same question and have not yet been able to find an answer online.  Wondering if anyone else on this board knows if unsaponifiables from soy contain estrogenic elements?