Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2nd opinion, should i go for #3  (Read 1013 times)

Offline mistlees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
2nd opinion, should i go for #3
« on: May 07, 2010, 09:56:39 PM »
Hi, i'm new to this site. I have had 2 knee surgies within 4 years. My last one was on Dec 8th.  After the surgery, i was feeling good (i had plica removed both times in my left knee).  About late January, i started getting a lot of pain around the entire knee area.  After xray and mri, the dr advised me that I had fatty tissue.  He sent me to see another dr who deals with the knee only.  This orthopaedic surgeon told me today, that i have to live and deal with the pain & there's nothing that can be done about it.  i'm against getting any shots in knee (had it once and it didn't work at all, worst pain ever to go through for a shot).  i don't know do i go for another dr or what?  the pain is 24/7 with lots of tears  :'(   

Offline Jill M

• Forum Faithful
Re: 2nd opinion, should i go for #3
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:03:44 PM »
There is nothing wrong with seeking a 3rd, 4th, or 5th opinion if that is what you need. I don't know where you live but there are some great surgeons at Cinicinnati Sports Medicine. Dr. Noyes see's many "difficult" knee patients. There are many on this site that have been treated by him.  Sorry that you are having such horrible pain. Definately do your research and find a surgeon that is right for you and that will be honest about what is going on with your knee.
Good luck.
Jill
8/07 Right subtotal meniscectomy
4/08 Chronic meniscus tear, grade 4 changes
10/08- R distal femoral osteotomy, lateral meniscal transplant, tibia microfracture, osteochondral allograft femur
12/08- AF noted, LOA
2/09- MUA
8/09- extensive LOA, patella baja
1/20/11- TKR

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 11:57:25 AM »
Don't put up with an answer like that.

Definitely seek more answers.

It sounds like a cop out to me.

I saw three doctors before I found someone that could really help and knew what they were talking about. Seeing a good sports medicine doctor would be a good start.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:38:06 PM »
Sorry to barge in here...but Jill--I noticed that you had a DFO, as well as a subtotal menisectomy, and then also a meniscal allograft, ostochondral allograft and a tibial mfx. How did you get your procedure okayed, and who did it?

I have had a meniscectomy, and have large grade 4 kissing lesions. I had a DFO, but no one around here will even consider the transplants, b/c the cartilage folks say not without a meniscus, and the meniscus transplant folks say not with those cartilage lesions.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline adevlop

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 03:42:03 AM »
Let me just say-do not settle for a surgeon telling you to deal with the pain. I've had surgeons tell me that before, and I continued to search for a surgeon that would actually do something to help my problem, which ended up being a lot more severe than anyone else had ever told me. May I ask where you are located? The hospital for special surgery (www.hss.edu) in nyc is absolutely amazing and I would highly recommend them!
knee pain for 13yrs-20yrs old

'06-scope of R knee/cartilage repair
'08-TTT/LR/MI
'08-supartz injections-no relief
'09-open MPFL reconstruction with allograft/hardware removal/arthroscopic debridement
'09-synvisc injections and prp treatment-no relief
'10-TTT revision/cartilage debridement

Offline stacey123

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 02:23:46 AM »
As everone else has indicated, seek another opinion! It took me 3 times and I am so pleased that I continued my search. Good Luck to you!
12/29/09: Complete tears ACL, PCL, LCL, bucket handle tear of meniscus, post lateral corner damage
1/26/10: Menisectomy, 95% removed

support