Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need some help/advice from the experience of forum folk.  (Read 1436 times)

Offline sally2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Need some help/advice from the experience of forum folk.
« on: May 11, 2010, 12:47:26 AM »
I had a lateral release, debridement,meniscal tear repair in left knee about 5 years ago by arthroscopy. It has gradually got more painful and the right knee has now joined in.  I am having a big problem with chairs and stairs (even getting my legs into bed at night is painful!)   Saw a knee surgeon who says I need  2 TKRs as my patella was pretty well worn out on both knees, and unicompartmental would not do the job.  The problem is I have several autoimmune diseases (where my immune system is in overdrive and attacking my tissue), and the prednisolone and immunosuppressants I have been taking for about 20 years make me unsuitable for open surgery (due to infection risk, which they cannot treat with drugs).  I can only take a couple of paracetamol for pain (which does nothing), and can't even rub on any stuff with aspirin or ibuprofin.   I have in reality been told to live with it.    But the pain is very bad most of the time.   Seeing an osteopath regulary, who keeps things moving, but I am now considering getting some type of patella brace or offloading brace as a last throw of the dice.   Does anyone have any information on these devices?

Had a problem with sciatica and discs - same thing,  spine surgeon would not operate because of autoimmune problems.

I am doing as much excercise as I can - making sure my quads and hams, VMO are as strong as possible, but I have to admit to feeling a bit depressed at the thought of all this pain and inability to function being with me forever.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

sally2

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: Need some help/advice from the experience of forum folk.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 02:48:15 AM »
Sorry you're having such a hard time. 
I found this site that might help with some information on hows and whys of braces.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline sally2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:50:37 AM »
Thanks for your reply Mary C,  Did I miss the link?

Feeling a bit more positive today - I have dealt with quite a few chronic health problems and my nature is to chase them down to the best of my ability.  And my mobility is a big priority of course!

Sally2

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:13:20 PM »
My bad - here's the link
http://www.jointhealing.com/pages/productpages/brace_selection.html

A warning - this is a commercial site, but they do have some good general information.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS