Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My ACLr and medial meniscus repair successful story  (Read 8276 times)

Offline Lolalee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
My ACLr and medial meniscus repair successful story
« on: May 03, 2010, 06:03:59 PM »
Hi there,

This is message to encourage everybody to keep going with the tedious rehab!!

It was two years since my operation last week. Until September last year (18 months post-op) I cannot say that I felt fully recovered, but since then it all has just got better and better.

I have been very thorough with my exercises all the way, making sure that my quads were strong enough to release my knee from hard work and unnecessary strain. I tried to be patient, as I wanted to go back to my usual activities badly (including kung-fu). I went back to kung-fu for a few months last year, enough to make me feel good that I was able to. Then had to stop for reasons non related to my knee. In January I started practising yoga, which has done so much good to my knee!! When I feel lazy about going to the gym, I think of my knees and how important it is to keep my leg muscles strong, and I go. Thorugh my hard training at the moment I have managed to get fitter than I have ever been!

I am so grateful to both my knees for putting up with all the hard work I make them do!! It is amazing what my operated knee can do now, when I think about how bad it was before surgery. I was also lucky that my sports private physio has worked with me to get my knee back to its full potential (my NHS physio told me at one point that I would always need to wear a brace for the rest of my life!! and I stopped seeing him).

Guys, hang in there. Rehab is sooo important. And it will pay off!! It feels like a very slow process, but you will suddenly find yourselves back to your usual activities...that is priceless!!

All the best with your knees!!

Lolalee

ACL recon & meniscus repair 21st April 2008
Missing cycling and kung-fu madly
22/07/08 Not missing cycling anymore as I am back on the bike!!! Beware roads!! :)

Offline mc2k10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: My ACLr and medial meniscus repair successful story
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 11:44:21 PM »
Its great to hear a success story.

I had the same surgery 5 weeks ago and it seems to be going well. I've been of the brace for around 2 weeks and crutches for around a week and a half. Though I think I may have arthorfibrosis as i'm unable to hyperextend my leg or flex it completely. I will be seeing my OS in a few weeks time lets see what he says.

-Ruptured ACL May/June 2009 - heard a pop.
-Started walking normally few days later
-MRI August 2009, confirmed rupture
-Was to see surgeon but letter never came, didnt follow up
-Heard pop several times after initial incident
-Locked my knee 06/10 went for surgery 14/07for ACL and Meniscus repair

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 08:10:51 AM »
Thank You Lolalee for posting this, it has given me hope, and I see you were back to cycling after 4 months  ;D - have also decided to take up cycling as my sport of choice after this.

I am going in tomorrow for possibly the exact same procedure, the repair to the meniscus can only be decided once they are "in".
But the ACL is a given and something will be done to the meniscus.

29.09.06 - Motorcycle accident - broken fibula, meniscus, ACL rupture, left leg
01.10.06 - surgery: ankle, screws & plate, meniscal debridement
29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
28.07.10 - bad landing on trampoline!
03.08.10 - MRI, ruptured L ACL & torn meniscus
19.08.10 - ACL revision

Offline chrome vapors

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 03:04:10 AM »
good to hear you're doing well, i hit the three year mark since surgery back on 10/18.

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 10:51:54 PM »
Great to read about a positive story, thanks Lolalee!!

I'm sure that will encourage a lot of us who are going through the early stages of rehab to keep going!
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)