Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Has my ACL reconstruction failed?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline jay787

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Has my ACL reconstruction failed?
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:23:13 PM »
March 2011, I had a motox crash my knee swelled up I went to A&E and they x rayed my collarbone and felt my knee and  said nothing was wrong told me to go home.

3 days later I got phone call to say I needed to go back as they checked X-rays again and I snapped my collarbone, my knee was severely swollen and I suspected I had snapped my ACL, the doctor said to me "it will just be fluid protecting the knee" my army doctor had said same thing but I insisted on it being drained when he done so it was all blood " oh mr Eden you may have done some damage here". 3 months I waited for MRI finally had one in July to confirm that I had snapped my ACL and damaged my meniscus. Waited and till feb of 2012 for a reconstruction where I had a hamstring graft.

The operation went very well within a week I could almost bring my heel back to my bum, it took about 6 weeks for my rehab to start in the army I responded we'll to rehab, jogging 4 weeks later and 4 weeks after that I was back to running completing a 1.5mile run in 9.30.

I was back to doing weighted marches and normal Military phys by July. I'm 21 and pretty fit although quite a big lad. I've had no pain from my ACL reconstruction until this week.

Where the front of my knee swelled up and I had to limp it feels like behind my knee is contracting I have lost about 10% of range and I'm quite a lot of discomfort when walking.

Is this the road for my military career?

Offline jay787

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Has my ACL reconstruction failed?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 06:00:20 PM »
Please somebody must be able to help

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 07:38:27 PM »
The problem is that none of us really can - we're not medical professionals and we can't see your knee or examine it. You need to get in to see a doctor or physiotherapist asap; they can carry out tests to check whether your graft is intact. You don't mention whether there was a specific incident that caused the current symptoms, which makes it hard to even guess whether it could potentially have been compromised.

Advice and support from the Internet is all well and good, but in a situation like this it doesn't remotely substitute for a medical opinion. Given that you need a stable knee to continue with the physical demands of the military you shouldn't be taking any chances with this. Get a professional to check it out as soon as you can.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 04:32:25 AM »
Jay,

I am sorry no one has answered you sooner.  Many people view these posts but it takes a while for them to answer.  I got frustrated when I did not get answers quickly enough and relied on the first recommendation from a surgeon.  Please, you have been very patient with your Army doctors so far....take a little more time and get some good advice.

As Snowy commented, it is hard for us to give you an accurate idea as first we are not doctors.  I am not sure where you are at or what "Army" you are in, but my American lack of patience makes me shudder at waiting three months for a MRI.  I would also suggest you trying if your finances will allow you to get a private surgeons opinion on your ACL.

Again, not knowing what Army you are in makes it hard to speculate, but having some experience with the United States military, my knee disqualified me from a U.S. Naval Academy Appointment 30 years ago, but would have been repairable if I had obtained the right surgeon early on.  If an OS makes a mistake on you early, your chances decrease exponentially.

Please feel free to email me anytime you have questions [email protected] as I am chastised often for posting too much information regarding my long and winding surgical history. [sentence edited out by KNEEguru]

So, my name is Russ and feel free to email me if you have any questions.  I did not understand when I first found this blog, but unless you complete 20 posts, you cannot send PM (private messages).  Feel free to send me 20 short posts or go on one of the games to get those 20 posts. [sentence edited out by KNEEguru]
Merry Christmas!

Russ
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:21:54 AM by The KNEEguru »
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR