Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fulkerson Osteotomy/MPFL reconstruct 4/30/2010  (Read 92051 times)

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Fulkerson Osteotomy/MPFL reconstruct 4/30/2010
« Reply #240 on: July 30, 2010, 03:27:38 AM »
very true, if they are sore then at least they are working and are there :)

when does college start back?
8th grade - rt knee scope - chondroplasty of patella
10th grade - MPFL recon (allograft), LR,chondroplasty of patella
summer after 11th grade - TTT, MPFL recon (allograft), LR, cartilage plugs, and chondroplasty of patella
revision of incision and mini MUA (to 90)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #241 on: July 30, 2010, 03:42:33 AM »
I actually won't go back to my college campus in the fall (which would start around August 20th).  I'm headed to Washington DC for an internship program!  I'm super excited!!!  I have to be there on September 1st, although Mom and I are taking the Amtrak there a few days early.  I've never been on the trains, so I'm really looking forward to it!  And to some Mom time.  We are like the Gilmore Girls (if you've ever seen that show).   :)

When do you have to be back at school?

-Jen
1999-ish: L knee hyperextension on trampoline
4/30/2010 Fulkerson Osteotomy and MPFL/LPFL reconstruction
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2010, 03:56:27 PM »
thats really cool! and awesome that you will get some mom time as well. ihave to be back at school on august 9th
summer after 11th grade - TTT, MPFL recon (allograft), LR, cartilage plugs, and chondroplasty of patella

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2010, 06:01:26 PM »
Oh man, that is soon!  Do you think you're going to be able to handle the increased activity well?  My high school was pretty big and 4 stories, so I shudder thinking about having to return to that!  Ick!  There was an elevator, but only one so if you were on the opposite side of the building, it wasn't much help.  ;)  I hope it goes well for you!

Today I've been busy finishing the clean out of my closet and reorganizing it, then repacking it.  Ugh.  Probably carried a bit to much weight, but my knee is feeling ok.  I do have some nice heavy bags and such for Dad to carry downstairs when he gets home.  He's been on a weeklong bike ride across Iowa, called RAGBRAI.  I personally think he's crazy for riding his bike across the state, but I'm kind of jealous I could do some of it with him!   :-\  Perhaps next year...

-Jen
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2010, 08:53:43 PM »
im not sure how i will handle the increased activity. my school is 3 stories, built on a hill, with the lunch room and an annex seperated by a hill and stairs, and the library isnt connected either, and the band room is on the other side of the teacher parking lot and football field. we are moving into a new building, and in the plans it looked like it had a lot of stairs, and i think only 1 elevator (but im scared of elevators too). it is going to be a challenge, especially since they wont let anyone in there until the 8th to see the building. so i have no clue where my classes are, but i do know that i am parking by the band room, like 10 feet away from the highway, so ill have to walk around the track to get to the main building every morning.

cleaning out the closet doesnt sound like fun... lol. but what your dad is doing sounds like it would be a blast!!!! hopefully you will be able to do some of that with him next year!!

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2010, 09:15:11 PM »
That sounds like it'll be a lot of fun to deal with...ugh.  I hope it all turns out ok!  It'll be a lot of walking, but hopefully people don't jostle you around too much.  I hope you don't spend the whole day going from 1st floor to 3rd floor and back!  Being in a new building will be neat though!

Cleaning out the closet is NOT fun.  But it is now clean and organized and happy.  And Dad finished the bike ride!  He dipped his tires into the Missouri river on Sunday and today dipped them into the Mississippi (a tradition for the bike ride).  The event stayed overnight in my hometown last year, and it was awesome!  10,000+ bike riders invading the town!  And the food vendors had amazing food. :)  It's pretty neat overall.

-Jen

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #246 on: August 01, 2010, 12:23:45 AM »
haha, yeah it will. and my locker is on the third floor, so im going to be up there, even if i dont have a class up there. my dr told me to use crutches for the first few days, even though i havent been using them. my graduating class alone has about 400 kids, and the classes below me are even bigger!

im cleaning out my closet now too, lol it is less fun than imagined

the bike ride sounds AWESOME!! how many times has your dad done it? it would be cool if yall could do part of/all of it together next year if he plans to do it again.

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #247 on: August 01, 2010, 02:51:37 AM »
My high school was a bit smaller, at about 1,600 students, but I get why crutches would be a good idea.  Keeps people away!  I used a cane at my job to keep the high schoolers from jostling me too much.  Especially in the cafeteria!

This is my Dad's first year doing it!  Last year he rode a few days, but he wasn't prepared to do the whole thing.  This year he bought a new bike and started training soon after the snow disappeared!  He's ridden his bike to a neighboring town (about 20 miles away) a few times a week.  Around where we live there are LOTS of big hills, so it was good training.  The route they had this year wasn't too tough, but still 400+ miles of hilly farmland.  I can guarantee you I won't do it all next year, but it would be fun to ride a day, or part of one. 

Did you find anything interesting in your closet?  I had fun going through a bunch of old things.   :)

-Jen

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #248 on: August 01, 2010, 05:25:58 AM »
it does sound like it would be fun to do part of, hopefully you will be able to make that happen!

lol yeah i did manage to find a few cool things, one of my tie-dye shirts that i thought i had lost (its lime green! and i live in tie-dye) and my hinged knee brace with patellar support and straps (hopefully i wont need it again), now i wish i could find my bed lol, because thats where my closet went, so for tonight im going to sleep in the living room floor lol

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #249 on: August 01, 2010, 02:07:22 PM »
Closets are always an interesting thing to clean out.  Glad you found your shirt!  I found my old hinged brace with the patellar support too!  I don't even know what to do with it because it wasn't effective when I had it, and now the patellar support could cause some problems.  I am hoping I don't need it but I'll probably keep it anyways. 

Hope the floor was comfortable!  I avoided setting much on my bed because I didn't want to sleep anywhere else (my bed is comfy), but my floor had the tiniest pathway through it for me and the dogs to walk. Now almost everything is cleaned up.  I just need help hauling out stuff to donate and recycle.   :)  I found lots of old notebooks, agendas, and assignments from high school....and middle school.   :-\ 

-Jen

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #250 on: August 01, 2010, 05:02:43 PM »
Closets are always an interesting thing to clean out. Glad you found your shirt! I found my old hinged brace with the patellar support too! I don't even know what to do with it because it wasn't effective when I had it, and now the patellar support could cause some problems. I am hoping I don't need it but I'll probably keep it anyways.

Hope the floor was comfortable! I avoided setting much on my bed because I didn't want to sleep anywhere else (my bed is comfy), but my floor had the tiniest pathway through it for me and the dogs to walk. Now almost everything is cleaned up. I just need help hauling out stuff to donate and recycle. :) I found lots of old notebooks, agendas, and assignments from high school....and middle school. :-\

-Jen

yes they are! and same here with the brace, it didnt help with keeping the patella in place before, but it did help with lateral stabilazation, so if i need a brace after this surgery, it would most likely not be this same one, but hopefully there will not be a need for a brace!

lol the floor wasnt too bad, i went to the camper and pulled one of the mattresses off, i thought about the camper after i had already layed down, but was glad to get up and go get it so i had something to sleep on other than the floor, but this morning my mom stepped on my glasses :( the lens almost came out, and it has 2 cracks in it near the screw and a new scratch

STUFF FROM MIDDLE SCHOOL? lol does that seem like forever ago?

when is your next PT appt?

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #251 on: August 01, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »
Yes, middle school does seem like forever ago!  Technically only 7 years ago...but it seems like much longer.  I've cleaned out my closet and moved houses since then, but I apparently don't look to close at what I'm keeping.  Or I'm a packrat...but now all that stuff is in the recycling bin. :) 

Glad you found something comfortable to sleep on!  But bummer Mom broke the glasses.  My lens has popped out a few times, but luckily it hasn't cracked.  I don't want to get new glasses...but I probably should.  I bought mine online really cheap almost 2 years ago, and they are kind of scratched now.  :(  I hate choosing new glasses! 

My next PT appointment is on Tuesday.  My last one was just a diagnostic appointment, so he just measured and did some simple exercises.  It'll be interesting to see how this next one goes. I have a month before I move to DC, so I hope to be at the point where I can get into a gym and do my strengthening on my own.  I won't see my OS until December or January!  I hope all goes well!

-Jen

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #252 on: August 02, 2010, 03:05:37 AM »
ditto on the packrat... i wish there was a recycling center closer (the closest one is about 25-30 miles away)

yeah, but im going to try contacts again soon, and we got the lens back in (if i dont have glasses on then everything a foot or more away is blurry and i am legally not allowed to drive. even with glasses i cant see the road signs far away) these glasses i let my great aunt choose, she works at an eye clinic and saw these (they are purple, but the legs can be turned and are light teal on the other side) i LOVE them

ah, have fun at PT. but wow, not going to the os until December or January!! thats a long time away! hope you are up to it!

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #253 on: August 02, 2010, 04:24:29 AM »
We have curbside recycling, which is amazing.  Just throw everything in the recycling bin (not even sorted), set it out on garbage day, and away it goes.  I love my town for that.  Heck, it is illegal for businesses to throw away cardboard and paper.  Not sure how they monitor this, but I think out landfill is filling up to quickly...thus the law.

Anyways, I feel ya with the glasses.  I can't drive without mine either, and at about 1.5 feet I start to get blurry.  I don't like contacts much though, so I am happy with glasses.   ;)  Four eyes, that's me!

Ugh...my knee HURTS today!  I am not happy!  I wore some dress shoes (flats, with the slightest wedged heel...kinda like the sole of a sneaker) and just going to the grocery store killed my knee.  They are not very bendable, so I couldn't walk right in them.  And now my knee is hurting quite a bit.  I'm gonna take some ibuprofen and go to bed.  I have no clue how I'm going to find dress shoes I can wear all semester while interning in DC...

And I have no choice about seeing the OS until then.  I won't be back in the state until the end of December...I think it'll be ok though.  Apart from today I've been feeling pretty great with my knee!

-Jen

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #254 on: August 02, 2010, 04:34:20 AM »
that sounds awesome!

wooo! glasses and a bum knee lol

:( im really sorry that your knee hurts. good luck finding dress shoes :-/ , thats going to be a challenge! a few days ago i tried to put my boots on (riding, like horse riding, with about an inch and a half heel) and i had to take te brace off to get them on, and within 5 mins my knee was hurting more, so i know excatly what you mean, and it isnt pleasant at all

wow, sorry you have no chioce about seeing the OS until December. good luck, and hopefully your knee will feel better in the morning!

support