Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fulkerson Osteotomy/MPFL reconstruct 4/30/2010  (Read 86905 times)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Fulkerson Osteotomy/MPFL reconstruct 4/30/2010
« Reply #390 on: January 23, 2011, 04:40:51 PM »
On Friday I had my first PT appointment in awhile.  My OS wanted me to go back to PT for strengthening, particularly of my hip, which apparently has very poor strength and control.  That in turn affects the knee so now we are focused on the hip for the most part.  I got some exercises to do with the stretchy bands, and with my exercise ball.  I don't know what they are called but dang they made my muscles hurt! 

To add to that, I fell on the ice on the way to PT.  I fell directly on my left knee, which HURT!  I now have a nice bruise on my knee, and there's a second bruise that I'm pretty sure is from a screw.  :(  Even with all my caution on ice...I still have a "gravity attack." 

-Jen
1999-ish: L knee hyperextension on trampoline
4/30/2010 Fulkerson Osteotomy and MPFL/LPFL reconstruction
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #391 on: January 23, 2011, 09:46:18 PM »
Oh no! Is your knee still hurting?
8th grade - rt knee scope - chondroplasty of patella
10th grade - MPFL recon (allograft), LR,chondroplasty of patella
summer after 11th grade - TTT, MPFL recon (allograft), LR, cartilage plugs, and chondroplasty of patella
revision of incision and mini MUA (to 90)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #392 on: January 26, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
No, my knee is ok now.  I still have a nice bruise, but you know that's what happens! :)

-Jen
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #393 on: March 28, 2011, 03:51:13 AM »
Well, it's been awhile since I've written, and I've got news, good and bad. :) 

The good:  After about 2 months of physical therapy, going once every 2 weeks, I was released permanently!  Yay!  ;D  I'm able to run on an elliptical, ride my bike for long distances, and walk as much as I want.  I am starting to run on ground/treadmill, and it's going ok.  :)  I feel better than I ever have! 

Bad news:  Peace Corps has deferred my medical evaluation process for 2 months, which means they won't look at my medical files until June.  It's frustrating because it's such a short deferment that it seems pointless to me. Sigh. I'll calling the medical office tomorrow to argue my case.  Considering it's been almost 4 months since my OS filled out my knee evaluation, a lot has changed since then and I've improved a lot.  They want to know if I can walk up 2 flights of stairs without problems, walk over rough terrian, ride in a vehicle over rough terrain, lift stuff, or ride a bike.  I can do all of that just fine, so I'm frustrated...  :(  But it will all work out, and I'm praying I'll land wherever God wants me. :) 

Overall, life is good!
-Jen

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #394 on: May 02, 2011, 04:49:54 AM »
I've passed the one year anniversary of my surgery!  Yesterday marked one year, and man am I grateful I went through with it.  The last year has held disappointments, struggles, pain, and awesome days when I've met a goal, and it's all worth it.  My knee is stronger and more stable than ever.  I'm able to do this I've never really been able to do, like run.  It's amazing to see how far I've come.

Overall, happy knees!!

-Jen

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #395 on: May 02, 2011, 04:17:15 PM »
wonderful news!!!!  success stories give me hope.
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #396 on: May 20, 2011, 03:01:28 PM »
Happy news! I've been invited to serve in South Africa with Peace Corps from July 2011 to September 2013. :D 

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #397 on: October 19, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »
It's been awhile since I have updated, and life has changed so much! I've been in South Africa for 3 and a half months and am now an official Peace Corps Volunteer. Thankfully I haven't had any knee problems. I have to walk 5km one way to one of my schools, 2-3 days a week, on sandy pathways. Heck, I have to walk 7km to the nearest village if I feel like getting groceries because transport rarely ever comes my way! I'm now settled in a tiny village on the Kalahari, figuring out things like moving through the bushveld to get to work and kneeling on my concrete floor for the morning bucket bath. :) My knee is doing just fine, and I'm even planning on training to run a 5K. That's a big deal for me, but now since I'm walking it to work, I think it'll be a manageable goal.

Life is good, and I don't have to worry about my knee anymore. Which is good because I get to worry about learning Setswana and not making a fool of myself all the time. And that takes a lot of energy! 

If you want to know more about my life in SA, my blog is jenpcvsouthafrica.wordpress.com. Hope all is well with you all!
-Jen

support