Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fulkerson Osteotomy/MPFL reconstruct 4/30/2010  (Read 88554 times)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Fulkerson Osteotomy/MPFL reconstruct 4/30/2010
« Reply #375 on: October 13, 2010, 12:06:45 PM »
I seem to be alright.  My knee is a bit more achy this morning, but I also did some hard exercises last night, so that could be it too. :)  And I don't even have any bruises this time! :D 

And yes, stairs are hateful things.  Luckily in DC there are TONS of escalators, but that also means I have to intentionally look for stairs to do my PT exercises on...

-Jen
1999-ish: L knee hyperextension on trampoline
4/30/2010 Fulkerson Osteotomy and MPFL/LPFL reconstruction
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #376 on: October 16, 2010, 04:04:25 PM »
Sounds like you have had a bit of a rough time with stairs and falling in general. Glad to know that you are okay though! :) Do you still like DC?
Have a good weekend!
8th grade - rt knee scope - chondroplasty of patella
10th grade - MPFL recon (allograft), LR,chondroplasty of patella
summer after 11th grade - TTT, MPFL recon (allograft), LR, cartilage plugs, and chondroplasty of patella
revision of incision and mini MUA (to 90)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #377 on: October 17, 2010, 03:29:26 PM »
Do I still like DC? Are you kidding?!  :)  I love it here!  I don't want to leave and go back to my home college to finish my last semester....sigh...

The week has been crazy!  My internship was hosting a conference here in DC for 200+ people (the conference I've been working non-stop on while I've been at my internship) and the past 3 days is when it took place.  Thursday I was busy running (literally) around the conference space, working out all the details.  I literally ran up and down the 2 flights worth of escalators probably 10 times...and discovered in the process that I can actually run up and down stairs pretty well, even moving stairs!  :)  I was on my feet most of that day and a good deal of Friday as well.  Of course my feet and knee hurt, but not super bad.  I just was up on my feet way more than normal! 

Today I am resting allllll day!  And doing homework...ick...but I didn't fall at all during the Summit and had a great time, even though I was super busy!

Jen
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #378 on: October 18, 2010, 05:56:19 AM »
Good to know that there is a chance that one day I might be able to run up and down stairs again.  I cannot remember the last time I went up/down stairs without thinking about it. 
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #379 on: October 18, 2010, 05:44:22 PM »
Oh, I was thinking about it for sure, especially since it was on an escalator.  But I was thinking more about finding certain people or getting my hands on the stuff we needed.  So I was only 1/2 thinking about it. :)  But it is nice to have that ability again....especially when the metro is about ready to leave and I am on a different level at the station.  Just makes life easier!  I am still struggling to run well on flat ground, especially for more than just a few feet.  But I can run short distances alright aka like across the street and such. :)

-Jen

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #380 on: October 21, 2010, 02:20:44 AM »
Ok, so I have a story for those of you who have been to DC, or live here.  So basically, the DC metro escalators tend to break down ALL THE TIME!  Yesterday I was riding up the Dupont Circle escalator, which incidentally is roughly 180 feet long (seriously...it's insane!)  and while I was near the bottom, it broke down!  :(  So I got some good stairs exercise in climbing up, up, up the escalator. 

This weekend I am going to the Zoo, and the metro stop there has an escalator of 204 feet.  I hope it doesn't break down!  DC has insane escalators!

-Jen

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #381 on: October 21, 2010, 04:28:26 AM »
DC does have insane escalators... and stairs... and walking....  I am anxiously awaiting for my knee to heal enough to make a trip to DC.  My neighbor's daughters go to school there, American & George Washington.  My neighbor and I want to go for a "girly weekend," but I need to be able to walk.  They have offered to get a wheel chair and push me around, but I want to go when I am well enough to have fun and not be a burden to everyone.  Friday will be 6 weeks post op for me.  I am exceeding expectations so hopefully it will happen soon. 
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #382 on: October 21, 2010, 12:04:01 PM »
I went on an insane trip to St. Louis with 120+ high schoolers about 2.5 months out.  It was hard and I had to pace myself, but I did just fine.  Considering the 6 hour bus ride (that was the hardest part), I was happy to make it through.  The only problem was that I couldn't ride hardly any rides at 6 flags-which I was sad about because I love roller coasters.  But I didn't want to risk jarring or hurting my leg at the beginning of the trip. 

So, a vacation fairly soon post op is doable.  Just bring ibuprofen and see if you can have access to an icepack if you do get swollen from the added activity.  That sounds like an awesome trip though!! I'm trying to find a way to come back in Spring for a conference, while getting my school to pay for it. I think it is a realistic possibility. 

-Jen

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #383 on: October 29, 2010, 02:54:18 AM »
Things have been going pretty well!  I went to the zoo this weekend, which is big and hilly.  I was so tired afterwords, and my knee hurt somewhat.  It was just built on a fairly steep hill, and because of zoo construction I had to walk twice as much.  But after some rest and some good nights sleep, my knee felt 100% fine.  I'm finally past that stage where a bit of overdoing it sets me back a few days. I've been noticing that my knee recovers a lot faster.  :)  About time!

Life's going good, and my stamina in my knee is improving as well.

Jen

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #384 on: November 09, 2010, 11:53:09 AM »
I realized a few days ago that it had been 6 MONTHS since my surgery- WOW!  So I thought I'd sum up my feelings and such...

I am 100% glad I had the surgery done.  I've seen big improvements in my abilities since the surgery, and I no longer worry about my patella moving the wrong way.  The ligaments are holding and it appears that the surgery has been very successful- yay! 

I am still working on strength, and continue to see improvements.  Balance is still not great, but I'm working on it.  And I can do 1 legged squats nearly as far down as my good leg.  And the reason I can go farther is due to my muscles being tight, not because my knee can't do it.  So obviously I'm still trying to keep my muscles stretched out, which is a pain.  But I'm noticing improvements there as well- although I just have to remember to do my stretches!

Overall, I am happy with my knee, and the surgery and long recovery has been worth it.  I'll be on here every now and then to update and let y'all know how things are going though!

Jen

Offline ParisBaby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #385 on: November 17, 2010, 03:36:06 PM »
I am so glad to hear that you are happy to have had your surgery. I am going in for my MPFL tomorrow and I have to admit I have been thinking to myself, what are you doing!!
I have read through your diary and it sounds like it was a long recovery but you have a better knee situation now.  I am so frightened that my knee will never be back to normal, even the crappy normal that it is now, so every time I get upset or frusterated about not know about specific points of progress I reference your blog.  So good luck and keep us posted!

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #386 on: November 17, 2010, 10:22:36 PM »
I am nine weeks out from my TTT and already see an improvement.  It's good to know that it will be even better in a few months. 
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #387 on: November 29, 2010, 08:54:14 PM »
Hello everyone!

Thought I'd update a bit, and say hey to y'all! :)

Things are still going well.  My sister came to visit me in DC over Thanksgiving, and man I swear we walked all over the city!!  My legs killed me- miles and miles of walking.  But my knee held up pretty well. It was sore, but then again my whole lower body way pretty sore.  And a bit of sleep and stretching made it feel 100% the next day.  I've found that stretching feels AMAZING, and takes care of my aches and pains. 

I've been doing a lot of running up and down stairs (yes running- it's cold outside and I try to go faster now :) )  and much of the time walk up and down the escalators rather than just riding them.  Extra exercise, right?  And it doesn't hurt to go upstairs, something which I haven't experiences for YEARS. 

I've applied for Peace Corps, and am slowly going through the application process.  They may defer me for my knee, but considering the progress I've made, I think my doctor will say I'm good to go when I go see him in Dec/Jan.  They defer automatically for 1 year for ligament replacement, but my departure date will be after the 1 year anniversary of my surgery, so I should be good to go!

ParisBaby-the recovery is definitely long, but worth it. 

Mermaids- I'm sure it'll get better!  It just takes time and hard work. 

Adios for now!
Jen

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #388 on: January 06, 2011, 11:21:04 PM »
I have passed the 8 month mark of my surgery, and I'm feeling great!  I had my 4th post-op visit on Tuesday, and my OS seemed pretty happy with me.  My strength is still poor, but he's given me a script to go to PT once every few weeks to learn some strength training techniques, which I will use at home.  He wants me to focus on things I've never been able to do before, such as running. 

I also had to get clearance from him to go abroad for 2 years with Peace Corps.  After looking things over, he thought it was perfectly fine and that I would have no problems serving in Peace Corps, which is amazing!  Right now I've been nominated to teach English in Asia.  I'm really happy he was agreeable to it, and it's great that he's confident that I will not have problems with me knee.  Now I've just got to keep working out and learn how to run.  Did I ever mention that I hate running? :)  Guess I will learn to like it....I suppose. 

-Jen

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #389 on: January 07, 2011, 01:16:50 AM »
That is awesome news, Jen!  Gives us all hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT