Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fulkerson Osteotomy/MPFL reconstruct 4/30/2010  (Read 87086 times)

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Fulkerson Osteotomy/MPFL reconstruct 4/30/2010
« Reply #360 on: September 24, 2010, 02:38:06 AM »
Ugh, doesnt sound too good, hopefully you wont have to wear a boot, that seems like it would be heck on your knee.
Glad to hear that your knee is doing well, awesome that it is feeling good.
It seems odd though, about your foot, because you dont recall doing anything to it, do you?
8th grade - rt knee scope - chondroplasty of patella
10th grade - MPFL recon (allograft), LR,chondroplasty of patella
summer after 11th grade - TTT, MPFL recon (allograft), LR, cartilage plugs, and chondroplasty of patella
revision of incision and mini MUA (to 90)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #361 on: September 24, 2010, 11:27:39 AM »
It is odd, because I didn't have any trauma at the onset of the pain.  I had on my tennis shoes, and I thought maybe they were tied a bit tight because my foot hurt.  But then when I took them off it didn't get better.  I suppose I could have had minor pain before that and not noticed it (I'm good at ignoring pain for awhile).  But who knows.  I'll find out hopefully early today if I have fractured anything.  And if not I'm not sure what the doctor is going to do with me.  I HAVE to walk a good deal-at least 2 blocks to and from the bus stop to work, and another block from the shuttle to the bus stop.  Plus I'm missing out on being able to "see" DC on the weekends because I can't walk without pain!  Ugh!!

-Jen
1999-ish: L knee hyperextension on trampoline
4/30/2010 Fulkerson Osteotomy and MPFL/LPFL reconstruction
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #362 on: September 25, 2010, 01:02:49 AM »
I heard back from the doctor, and I got some good news.  Nothing appears to be broken in my foot.  Yay!  However, we still don't know what is causing the pain.  Sigh...I've been told to ice, elevate, and wrap it in a bandage.  Along with not using it much.  Pretty much impossible since I HAVE to walk a few blocks to work and activities and such.  But she told me to be sure to wrap it up when I'm on my feet.  So now my sausage-like foot (it's really swollen) is swaddled up in an Ace bandage. It doesn't really make it feel better though because it pushes on the part of my foot that HURTS, but hopefully it'll help with the swelling because that's causing more pain.

My knee wasn't too happy today.  I suppose after a week of walking funny it's bound to ache a bit.  Really it's just stiffer.  Eh, it'll be fine in the morning I'm sure.  My foot, not so much.  But that's not going to stop me from going to Chinatown tomorrow!  :) 

-Jen
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #363 on: October 01, 2010, 11:58:28 PM »
It's been a long, busy week.  But everything has been going relatively good!  My foot is feeling tons better, although it still swells when I walk.  But if I wrap it my foot doesn't swell too bad.  So it's pretty well under control.  I feel yesterday on the sidewalk, then again today. Grr!!!  DC sidewalks SUCK!  Luckily I fell on my good knee, which is now bloodied, black/blue, and more swollen than my left knee.  Sigh...such is my luck!

However-good trends:  My ROM, which has been really good, has gotten a lot less painful when bending past 140.  For example, I can now lay on my back, pull both knees up to my chest, and just let my heels hang down.  Previously, this hurt a bit.  But now it doesn't.  I can also grab my left foot from behind and nearly touch it to my butt without pain.  And can sit which both of my feet up on my desk chair, with my knees super bent for a long time without it hurting.  Yay!!

-Jen

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #364 on: October 02, 2010, 08:28:10 PM »
Wow Jen you have a had a busy few weeks of falling and what not, but glad to read your foot and knee is feeling better. Hope the other knee that you fell on follows suit soon! Watch out on those sidewalks girl!

Great to read that your ROM is even better too, sounds like you are coming along great. I know I don't post much, but I still follow and am happy to read that so far things have been successful for you. Glad you like DC! (I live near DC too!)
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline mellophone

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #365 on: October 02, 2010, 10:51:29 PM »
Hey Jen! Dang! Sounds like you have had a lot of tumbles recently! :( Though your ROM is awesome! :) Glad to hear that your foot is feeling better (not normal though, but not as bad at least)
Have a good weekend!
8th grade - rt knee scope - chondroplasty of patella
10th grade - MPFL recon (allograft), LR,chondroplasty of patella
summer after 11th grade - TTT, MPFL recon (allograft), LR, cartilage plugs, and chondroplasty of patella
revision of incision and mini MUA (to 90)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #366 on: October 03, 2010, 12:05:55 AM »
Hey guys! 

Yes, life has been busy and today I walked 1/2 way down the National Mall-crankerchick, you would understand how far that is!- and all over the Pentagon City mall (4 stories) and back home from the Metro, and my foot didn't swell at all.  I had an Ace bandage on under my tennis shoe, and my foot feels great!  So I think that hurdle has been overcome, for the most part. I shall be tested on Monday though, because I've been invited to a formal Gala and will be on my feet in dress shoes with no bandage on for 5 hours.  I'm so excited though and it's a big honor to be invited!!  Yay!  And I get to dress up really nice.  Black dress, clutch purse, pearl necklace...yeah. Nice!

-Jen

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #367 on: October 06, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
I survived the long night at the Gala on my feet, rather wonderfully!  Of course my knee ached a bit after standing for a few hours, then sitting through a long dinner without moving.  But overall I felt normal.  And it was an incredible opportunity!

Other than that, I wanted to point out a few other successes I've noticed recently.  I've been doing my stretched diligently, and I can see a stark improvement.  Remember my tight quad muscle, the one that won the PT prize for being the tightest ever seen?   ;)  Well I've seen a LOT of improvement and I think my PT would be amazed because he said it might never loosen up.  Now I can match my right leg in stretchyness :)  and still am seeing improvement.  Also, my hamstring has loosened a lot due to the stretching.  I can, for the first time in my life, comfortably do a toe touch while sitting with my leg out straight.  But only on my left (surgical) side.  My right hamstring is FAR tighter than my left!!  So now I am being sure to stretch the right side as well, but it seems to be more difficult in stretching out than my bad side.  Odd...

Well, I must get ready for work, but I have noticed how much more flexible I've become in the right ways and thought I should share.  Oh, and after the surgery I have noticed that I no longer jiggle my legs while sitting.  I used to be one of those people who jiggled the floor, table, etc by jiggling my legs-rather annoying. I think the period of immobilization broke my habit, because I now have no desire to jiggle.  :D

-Jen

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #368 on: October 06, 2010, 12:37:51 PM »
This is encouraging to hear.  I am 3.5 weeks post op.  Doing well, but anxious for all this to be over.   :)  Patience is not my virtue. 

To anyone facing a procedure like this, I highly recommend they work on flexibility.  I have always been flexible and have really appreciated that recently.  To be able to put on and tie my shoes with my leg fully extended has been a very good thing. 
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #369 on: October 07, 2010, 01:08:53 AM »
I'm glad my story is encouraging to you!  When I was in your place I had people on here who were encouraging to me and taught me so much.  The community on here is amazing and I'm glad I found this forum! :)

Flexibility is a good thing to work on.  I was lucky and gained back my flexion relatively easy.  Only 1 time in PT did I want to kick the therapist while working on my bed.  ;)  I wish I had better flexibility beforehand, but it's turned out all right.  I would definitely agree that trying to be as flexible as possible behorehand is a good piece of advice!  I had a hard time with shoes...  and trying to get them on without bending... :)

-Jen

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #370 on: October 11, 2010, 09:21:03 PM »
I've finally been able to get back to the gym to work out with the weights and on the elliptical.  Because I hurt my foot, I gave it a rest for a couple of weeks until I was sure my foot was 100% better.  But now it feels great and I've been able to pick up right where I left off!  Actually with the elliptical I've been able to add a good deal of resistance, which is an improvement from before. I think having to walk everywhere has been a great exercise regime in itself, but it feels good to be back in the gym, working the legpress and feeling my legs burn! :)  There's still a size difference between my 2 legs, but it is getting better and better all the time. 

And...I think I'm going to apply for Peace Corps.  Well, I AM going to apply, but I'll see if they take me!   ;)  They defer automatically for 1 year for ligament replacement, but I figure I can apply and see what they will do.  And I really want to do it.  Since I'm graduate in 7 months (help!!) I figure I should have a plan. :)

-Jen

Offline thecamster21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #371 on: October 11, 2010, 10:56:01 PM »
Glad to hear your foot is better and great news on the elliptical!! I just ran my first 5 minutes on the treadmill and realized two things! 1. I am so out of shape and 2. My knee felt great!! This was the first time running since my LR Aug 09!

I am glad to see we are all coming along nicely!! Good luck with the peace corp!
Knee Pain since 2004
First OS visit 12/08
PT 06/09 - 12/09
Lateral Release R. Knee 08/14/09
Fulkerson Osteotomy, Right knee scope, Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Repair 05/07/10

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #372 on: October 12, 2010, 12:14:28 AM »
Yeah, I've done the elliptical before and it feels great!  I am going to try running on a treadmill...I am not a runner, never have been.  So who knows how that will go!  I can run around the apartment, down the hall, and dash across intersections.   :)  Survival in DC=running through an intersection at some point!

Glad to hear you are doing good!  And you'll get back in shape soon enough, now that you can RUN! 

-Jen

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #373 on: October 12, 2010, 11:22:04 PM »
Oh I am just so skilled...at falling.

I fell today...on stairs...marble stairs....

Other than being embarrassing because I was at the National Geographic HQ in DC, I landed in a sprawled fashion, with my bad leg bent and flat against the ground. Like how I used to sit in a W shape with my legs.  But before I totally hit the ground I ended up bending it super far...basically completely full ROM (have been missing the past 5 degrees or so). And I heard a nice pop.  I am hoping all is good, as it isn't super painful and I seem to be able to bend it a bit farther.  Perhaps I did a mini-mini-MUA to get the last few degrees back! :)  We'll see in a few days...

-Jen

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #374 on: October 13, 2010, 03:50:56 AM »
EEK!!!! Stairs are hateful things.  Hope you are okay. 
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*