Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fulkerson Osteotomy/MPFL reconstruct 4/30/2010  (Read 86918 times)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Fulkerson Osteotomy/MPFL reconstruct 4/30/2010
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 05:59:51 PM »
Day 4-5

I have definitely turned a corner!  The past couple of days have been much, much better.  Still keeping on a med schedule, but I'm needing a little less and will start with half doses of hydrocodone very soon.  I started yesterday (day 4) off with a shower, which was amazing.  It was quick and hard to do without a shower chair, but I felt sooooo much better afterwards.  I was super tired at the end of it, but it was worth it.  Clean Jen=Happy Jen!  :) 

I've also been much more hungry, even though I can still only eat small amounts at a time.  Actually wanting food has been nice, and keeping "regular" my digestive system has helped too.   ;)

In the afternoon I got up and hobbled downstairs.  I was terrified!  We have a full flight of stairs with a not-so-good railing, and I was terrified of going down.  I made it down just fine, although I was exhausted.  But being able to sit in the recliner was amazing!  I felt so much better sitting up, and I was able to visit a little with my doggies.  Our calm miniature Schnauzer Princess even laid with me in bed for a while.  Our other dog, a miniature Pincher, is a little too crazy for doggie therapy!  But man I missed them!

I finally got back to school yesterday as well!  The 45 car ride was just fine, stretched out in the backseat.  Walking in the dorm, waiting for the elevator, then walking down the hall wore me out, but I felt so much better gaining back my independence.  It's been a little hard without Mom doing everything for me, but I feel better just having to do things on my own, especially since the pain is a lot better.

Today (Day 5) I've just been working on getting back into my groove, although I'm not going back to classes yet.   :) I have nice profs who are more concerned about my healing that about sitting through endless student presentations.  That's nice!  I'm now waiting for a friend to get out of class so she can get my mail and maybe some food.  I know I have a care package waiting from my sister! 

Overall, it's been a good few days, and everything has been easier and much less painful.  I'm doing really good with my PT exercises too!  Yay!

Hope everyone's doing well!
-Jen
1999-ish: L knee hyperextension on trampoline
4/30/2010 Fulkerson Osteotomy and MPFL/LPFL reconstruction
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 06:05:59 PM »
I have A LOT of bruising starting behind my knee and wrapping around the outside ( where the LR was done) do you have any bruising? It's very very sore! I have terrible pain in the morning...when I get out of bed. Are you experiencing that?

I have major bruising underneath my knee wrapping from the right to the left, and I guess down the back of my leg, although I can't see that!  But my feet and ankles aren't swollen at all.  I finally have a knee-shaped knee, not just a blob, since the swelling is going down. 

The only sore part is the right side (of my left leg) where the bruising is the worst.  It's where the round part of the brace hinge is, so it might be cause a little bit by that.  Who knows?  It's going down well though!

-Jen
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 01:01:52 AM »
Day 6

Today was a pretty good day.  I've been able to take the minimum amount of pain meds, which is nice because I am less drowsy and I can focus more easily.  I'll be glad to be rid of the pills for good eventually!  I have 2 presentations tomorrow, and I'm hoping I can gather my thoughts long enough to give them!   ;)

When I was doing my PT exercises this morning, I had some pain at the site of the Fulkerson.  My OS said to call him if this happened, so I did.  After playing phone tag for awhile, I was told to back off a bit on one of my exercises.  Sad!  I was getting good at bending my knee independently, about 45 degrees or so, but now I'm not to do that.  As soon as the pain goes away I hope I can get that mobility back again!

Other than that obstacle, it's been a nice day.  I hate crutches though!  My arms ache from the added strain on them, and I'm frustrated!  Only 5 more weeks of it...I guess.   :(  I really hope I am cleared to do weight bearing soon!!!!

Hope all is well with everyone else!

-Jen

Offline thecamster21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 01:17:52 AM »
Jen it sounds like things are going good considering the surgery!  Good Luck with your presentations tomorrow!  How is it being back to school with less help compared to being at home?  What is your brace like? Your doctor made you non weight bearing so no toe touching?

I did a bunch of planting today and tomorrow have to finish plus pack a suitcase to stay at my aunts house for a week.  My operation is Friday morning and I am nervous but so ready to be on the road to hopefully fixing my knee once and for all!!  I hope things continue to progress for you and you find it easier and painless each day forward!!

Good Luck!
Knee Pain since 2004
First OS visit 12/08
PT 06/09 - 12/09
Lateral Release R. Knee 08/14/09
Fulkerson Osteotomy, Right knee scope, Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Repair 05/07/10

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 04:34:16 AM »
Hi Camster!

Your surgery is coming quickly!!  Good luck!

Being back at school is nice-it is forcing me to do things instead of asking my Mom or Dad.  However, when I am tired or sore (my arms are killing me from the crutches...I do not have strong arms!) it would be nice just to ask someone, so I do!  I have several amazing people who grab stuff around the room, keep me company, get my food, etc.  The support system here at school is great.  I keep my dorm room open nearly all the time, unless I am sleeping, and I feel much happier being able to see my friends, especially since the school year is almost over.  And having a handicap accessible shower and bathroom just a little way down the hall really, really helps.  My bathroom at home was soooo hard to handle because it's skinny!

My brace is one that locks in extension when I walk, and it's always locked so I can't move my knee past 90 degrees (not like I can do that yet...) when I am resting or doing exercises.  It goes from mid thigh to mid calf, and I suspect it's like most people have after knee surgery.  The pads make it pretty comfy!  Yay! ;)  It's been exciting that I keep getting to make it smaller and smaller each day as the swelling goes down.

And I can do toe touching, but no more than that.  I hope I can start doing more soon.  However, it seems there was a little nerve damage from my femoral block, so I'm still a little numb in spots, so being weight bearing is probably a bad idea anyways.  I go up next Wed to see my OS so I can beg him to let me do more then! 

Again, good luck with your surgery!  Hope for the best and just listen to EVERYTHING they say...well, have someone else listen for you.  You probably won't really remember the first few days much!  I don't! :D 

-Jen

lindseym27

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 03:20:30 AM »
Camster!!!! Good luck!!! keep us posted! we'll be thinking of you!

Jen--- you're coming along! :) it's different how our OS's have a different approach on things! Hows your pain factor? Sounds like it's pretty mild if you're not needed so much pain meds! mine comes and goes in waves... sometimes I feel okay...other times it really hurts!

I'm actually realllllly tired and need to get some rest! But I will check in with you tomorrow!

Good luck on your presentations!!

Offline thecamster21

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »
Thanks!  I am up and getting ready to leave..  ???  I will be staying overnight according to the doctor so I will try and post sometime tomorrow Saturday once I get home.. I hope you both are doing good!! 

naturegirl - How did your presentations go?  Hope they went well and you are continuing to recover well!!

Thanks leftkneepain!! Take care and I will see ya on the other side!
Knee Pain since 2004
First OS visit 12/08
PT 06/09 - 12/09
Lateral Release R. Knee 08/14/09
Fulkerson Osteotomy, Right knee scope, Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Repair 05/07/10

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 01:43:42 PM »
Camster, good luck today. You will do great! See you on the other side. Looking forward to reading your success story :-)
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 06:19:25 PM »
Good luck Camster - here's to a bunch of happy knees!  ;D

Lottie x
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 07:22:51 PM »
Hello all!

Day 7-8
The past day and 1/2 has been pretty good.  Yesterday I had to get up and go to 2 classes, one of which was 3 hrs long-ugh! Luckily  Campus Security picked me up in the golf cart and ferried me to my classes.  I did crutch along to one of them, and that wore me out!  It was only about a block or 2 of walking, but considering my pathetic arm strength it was a workout!  I was able to keep my leg elevated during classes, so it worked out pretty well. And my profs let me sit during my presentations.  :D Yay!

The presentations went well.  I had some problems staying on topic and focusing, due to the meds, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.  I did them without notes, only using prompts on my powerpoint, so my mind was with me for the most part!   ;) 

After my classes I realized I probably overdid it a bit.  I was super tired and the right side of my knee (the inside of the knee) just hurt...kind of a twinging pain.  I still have it today and it doesn't seem to go away much with the meds, but moving my ankle up and down is helping.  It's not too painful overall.

I actually have unbruised skin near my knee!  :o  I was looking at it this morning, and I thought "Hmm...that white patch looks odd.  I wonder what's up!"  Then I realized that was my natural color!  Swelling's a little worse today, but I'm guessing that's from the added strain of getting out and going to classes.  I'm icing a lot and keeping it up, which is helping.

I had my presentation for Spanish today (talking about the Mexican drug war while slightly loopy on my meds ;))  I only had 1 point taken off, and it was for comprehension/clarity.   :) Go figure!

Hope all is well with you Camster!  Looking forward to hearing about your experience!

Lindsey-hope all is good!

-Jen

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 09:50:52 PM »
It's amazing how something as simple as walking a block, or just walking around your house, can completely exhaust you.  For the first two weeks or so after my TTT/LR I was exhausted from even loading the dishwasher, etc.  I felt horrible for not being able to do anything without breaking into a sweat and needing to sit down.  But it gradually comes back, the endurance gets a bit better day by day :)

Today I spent nearly 3 hours walking around the Farmer's Market and taking kids to the mall to find a dress for a school dance.  I used a cane, more to keep people away from me than anything.  Yes, I'm tired and the swelling upped a bit after being on my feet that long, but just two weeks ago I would not have even lasted an hour, and today I did 3, which felt really good!!!

Just listen to your body,  it'll tell you when it needs to rest.  It's so easy to overdo it, and we all do, but know that it'll get a bit better day by day :)

Andi
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 10:49:36 PM »
Hi Andi!

Sounds like you had a great day!  Farmer's Market...yum!  I am looking forward to the Farmer's Markets this summer.  Unfortunately, around here they're pretty small (small towns and such) but there's always some great food to have!

Part of my problems is a lack of arm strength, which is killing me on the crutches.  I really, really wish I could be rid of them, but Doc says no for now.   :(  At least I'm building up some great arm strength!

-Jen

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010, 03:43:32 AM »
Day 9

Today was a busy day for sure!

There was a huge festival going on in town today, the last of 3 days, and I really, really wanted to go.  So I arranged to get a wheelchair from Campus Security to use for the day, as there was no way I was going out in the massive crowds, on the brick streets, with my crutches.  It was great to get out and see the town and all the tourists!  It was super, super cold though, and a little rainy, so I didn't stay out for too long.  Considering it should be in the 70s, and it was only in the 40s, it was not a great day to be outside.  I bundled up though and it was ok.  I was amazed by how rude some people are to someone who is in a wheelchair!  I got cut off and driven off the sidewalk several times.   :(  But my friends and I still had a great time, and the food was amazing!  I finally ate like a normal person...mostly.  I did scarf down the Poffertjes, which is a type of Dutch dessert.  Yummy!

After I got back to the dorm, I was freezing cold and in a little pain.  So I took my meds then fell asleep in my chair with my dorm room door open for about 1 1/2 hours.   ;D  It was really nice to nap!  After my nap I used the CryoCuff to ice a bit so I wouldn't get swollen from the extra activity.  I also did a set of PT exercises, which felt good. 

I've managed to be a bit more motivated after my nap, with finishing a Spanish novel, doing dishes, and cleaning up a bit.  I'm finally feeling able to get up and move for long periods of time!  I also worked on bending my knee and got it to about 60 degrees without much pain.  The swelling, which has gone down considerably, is still preventing me from doing more.  However, I'm happy with the movement I have.  My back is aching and my hip is too, and I wish I could move around and do normal stretches...but I can't, yet.  It'll be nice when I can though!  I am going to do another set of PT exercises, which will hopeful help with the lower body stiffness. 

Hope everyone else had a good day!
-Jen

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 12:10:53 AM »
Ah so you have experienced the mysterious race that you seem to be entered into once you are seated in a wheelchair! There was a discussion on my diary about this very thing (and i'm sure many others). I had a nice experience in the airport with the wheelchair race I didn't know I was in along with the wheelchair rudeness. It's amazing how rude some people are when it comes to someone on crutches or in a wheelchair.

Nonetheless, glad you were able to enjoy the festival.

I went to a festival yesterday too. It was my first real test of my leg with walking a lot, and by a lot i mean about 2.5 miles, so not really that much, but still. It was up and downhill but all paved. My thigh was killing me when I was done but my knee never hurt once and my kneecap felt as stable as can be.

Glad things are going well for you back at school. You are doing great, keep it up!
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 04:58:25 AM »
Day 10

Today was another good but busy day.  Mom came to school to visit and help pack a bit, since I move out at the end of this week!  We had a nice afternoon chatting and enjoyed a nice dinner out.  It was a little awkward sitting in the booth, but I made it work.  I was also able to sit in the front seat of the car!!!  ;D  It hurt a little bit bending it enough to get it in, but overall it was nice to be up front.  I'm glad the car ride was only about 5 mins though. 

I am soooo close to doing an SLR!  I am frustrated because I can tell how close I am, but I just can't quite do it.  Part of my PT exercises is to do 15 SLRs three times a day, but I've had to do them assisted.  However, my friend said she was hardly lifting at all today.  When I try to do it by myself I can get nearly my whole leg up, but my heel seems to be glued down!  I'm doing quad sets like crazy in hopes of doing an SLR within the next few days.  We'll see!  It's exciting that I'm finally getting my strength back, and it's much easier to move around.

I've cut down on the pain meds considerably.  So far today I've only had 1 1/2 hydrocodone (for pain) and 2 hydroxyzine (for muscle spasms).  And it's nearly 11pm and I am headed to bed!  It's been really great not being under the fogginess that the pain pills cause in my head.  I have my thoughts back!!!

crankerchick-sounds like you had a great day too!  That's awesome that the knee didn't hurt at all!  I can't wait to be up and walking like a normal person again.  Congrats on all the walking up and down hills!

Off to bed now!
-Jen