Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: BEWARE ARTHROSURFACE UNICAP  (Read 18157 times)

Offline SURF RIDER

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
BEWARE ARTHROSURFACE UNICAP
« on: May 01, 2010, 12:29:19 PM »
To all of you who are contemplating having a UniCap partial Knee resurfacing procedure,

I'm a fifty something man, who had the UniCap procedure 15 months ago. I had it performed at highly regarded hospital by one of the surgeons who invented it. Unfortunately for me, it was installed poorly. The two "implants" didn't line up properly when I straighten my leg, causing the larger metal implant in the femur to slide off the smaller plastic implant in the tibia. The damage caused by the metal componet sliding of the plastic piece and directly onto my cartilage, destroyed the remaining healthy cartilage in the medial compartment, tore the minicus, and "chipped" large pieces of healthy cartilage away, leaving them free floating in the knee compartment. It took 6 months to convince my MD  that something was wrong, despite e-mails, letters, and phone calls from my primary care MD, physical therapist and I.

He scoped me 6 months after it was installed, repaired the torn miniscus, and sent me on my way. A few months later, my symptoms returned. Two (2) opinions later, it was revealed to me that it was installed improperly. It has taken 5 months to find an MD who was willing and able to repair it. The problem is because the UniCap is installed at a unique angale it isn't easy to convert to either a partial or total knee replacement. Bottom line, stay away from this product. It's cost me the use of my left knee, 15 months of pain and suffering, my job and health insurance, all due to the poor installation, and the failure of my MD to admit something was wrong until my knee was permantly damaged.

SURF RIDER

Offline ruhje3414

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: BEWARE ARTHROSURFACE UNICAP
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:26:02 PM »
SURF RIDER,

SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR STORY AS I JUST HAD ONE THE UNICAP'S DONE ON THE BACK OF THE PATELLA AND MEDIAL SIDE OF KNEE 3 MONTHS AGO... i AM STILL HAVING PAIN, JUST LIKE BEFORE AND A "CLINKING NOISE" EVERYTIME I WALK WHICH HURTS.

I ALSO HAD THIS DONE AT A VERY HIGHLY REGARED HOSPITAL WITH ONE OF THE INVENTER OF THIS KNEE SYSTEM AS WELL.. WONDERING IF THIS IS THE SAME SURGEON.

I AM JUST TRYING TO STAY POSTIVE AS I AM JUST 3 MONTHS OUT. PHY THERAPY HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE WITH PAIN.  HORRIBLE SWELLING.  I HAVE A JOB THAT I AM ON MY FEET ALL DAY, SO THAT HAS BEEN VERY HARD.

I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY  OTHER PATIENT'S WITH SIMILAR COMPLAINS.

VERY DISAPPOINTED.

"ONE LEG BANDIT"

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »
  is this the same as the Arthrosurface Hemi cap system? Mine was installed on Dec 6th 2007. I was real pleased with it for about a year now its nothing but a pain in the @#$!...My knee never really heeled right my left thigh right above the knee joint is a full 3 inches smaller then my right in the same spot. I was very religious about my PT and tried to keep working out after it was over. I have been back and fourth to PT a total of 1100 hours and it only helps a little. My knee has also made a lot of noise since the surgery and my knee now buckles all the time. I was the fifth person in my state to have the procedure done and it was performed in front of a large group of orthos and the reps from Arthrosurface. Since the surgery I can tell you about four hours before its rains that its going to rain. I have bought stock in Tylenol and ice since thats what I am living on these past five months. Like yourselves since we have metal in our bodies MRI's are almost usless and right now I don't want anyone cutting me open again. Don't know how long I can live with the pain before I get something else done to it.....
Dec 4th 07 arthrosurface hemicap and polyurethane button LK
July 12th 07 arthroscope torn cartilage LK
feb 6th 07 3rd degree sprain MCL 2nd degree sprain ACL LK
Jan 87" bi-lateral release RK
Feb 86" arthroscope cartilage tear RK
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline ccfkneenightmare

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:38:48 AM »
I am having major pain in the unicap knee. It's been just over 2 years since the surgery. Borderline excruciating on stairs. Major quality of life issue. I convinced a doctor to see me just to have someone order a bone scan to check for infection. No infection, but hardware may be loosening. NO ORTHO surgeons will see me or agree to revise or replace. What can I do?? I would love to talk to someone else about it. I think it ruined my knee. Orthos outside the world class facility where I got at it always look sideways at the images and kindly decline to treat me. Thanks but no thanks. I don't want to go back to the original surgeon. Heck, he might turn me away too!  :(

Thoughts? Suggestions??

Offline greatfulgann

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »
Those of you that have had this, please tell how the arthrosurface is different from patellar-femoral replacement or the component used in the kneecap for a TKR.  Thanks!!

Offline ohioarthrosurface

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »
Hello ccfkneenightmare! I had the same surgery nearly one year ago and am in the same boat as you. I have plenty of thoughts but no suggestions. I can't do stairs or even stand for more than a couple minutes without the pain getting so bad I have to sit down. Also walking with a limp now from the pain. Its hard to believe you have had to put up with this for two years!! That doesnt give me much hope. My doc says, just give it 3 more months, I have heard this 3 times already and the pain is just getting worse not better. I too am open to any suggestions. By the way there are more of us out there, just internet search around a bit and you will find them. I have a feeling we are from the same area.

As for greatfulgann, I do not know the differnce between the arthrosurface knee surgery from patellar-femoral replacement or the component used in the kneecap for a TKR, neither one of those was offered as an option. Sorry hope i didnt break any rules here.

Offline greatfulgann

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 07:55:18 PM »