Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Steroid Injection into Joint  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Nats

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • What the devil is happening to these knees?
Steroid Injection into Joint
« on: September 29, 2003, 09:49:55 PM »
I'm a bit confused.   ??? I went to see a rheumatologist last week and had blood tests done.  They came back pretty normal except one thing was slightly high (don't know what this one thing was).  He wants to take another blood test to see if this comes back high again in about 4 weeks time, anyway, today he gave me a steroid injection into my knee.  He told me to see if this helped.  If it helps with the pain does this mean I do or don't have arthritis???  Does steroid injections help with any kind of pain?  How long does it last if it does help?  How long from the time of the injection until it starts working?  Any information would be really appreciated.  Thanks.

Natalie.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2003, 09:50:51 PM by Nats »
Torn Tendons and Ligaments
Lateral Release (Failed)
Arthroscopy, 2 TTTs
Numerous dislocations both knees
Cartlidge repair
Crunchy, crackly, sore knees
Possible Arthritis
Nerve Damage both knees

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Steroid Injection into Joint
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 12:41:32 AM »
Hello Natalie,

I would also like to know more about steroid injections into knee joint as my Mum had this injection into her knee that was stiff and sore 3 years ago by her GP.

Since the injection she gets less pain and stiffness and asked the same GP today if it would help with my knees but said he does not think it will help. My Mum says her knee feels bigger around knee cap but can bend knees better then before.

Thats all I know maybe other Members will know more about it, Nick:)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Jennifer_G

• Regular Poster
  • Will I ever get better???
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 07:12:07 PM »
I recently received a cortisone (steriod) shot in my knee.  I don't have arthritis (yet) but I build up scar tissue like you wouldn't believe.  The steroid shot is like an anti-inflammatory agent so if you have arthritis it would help but it also helps to retard the growth of scar tissue.    

My knee felt great right after it was administered but I can tell it has since worn off a little.  It has been 2 weeks since I received it.  You should notice a HUGE difference as soon as they pull the needle out.  Not sure how long they are supposed to last though.  Heard everyone's knee is different.  
07/25/03--ACL recon with meniscus trimming
09/19/03--Manip with epidural, scope, and lateral release
02/06/04--Open Debridement, Manip, open release of intrapatellar fat pad, lateral release, Inpatient on Epidural
03/09/05--Open Anterior/Posterior Release, Scope, Inpatient on Epirdural

Offline heronak

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 08:22:29 PM »
I had a corticosteroid injection in my left knee last January to relieve pain from osteoarthritis.  It reduced the pain for about a day, basically until the numbing meds wore off.

My OS said this is fairly typical of advanced osteoarthritis - it does not help much.

FYI, synvisc injections reduced my pain level for about 3 months.  Hope this helps,

Heron