Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Mountain biking  (Read 893 times)

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Mountain biking
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:14:05 PM »
I had a friend take me mountain biking this afternoon-it was really tough. Any of you guys into this and how do your knees hold up? I'm pretty sure i won't know until in the morning whether it's caused any problems for my knee. Thanks.
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

Offline PrincessTiefling

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Mountain biking
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »
I know I am reviving an old thread but I just came across this

I started urban riding a month or so ago, after we found out that my LR failed biking is the only thing that doesnt cause severe pain.. mostly because I can adjust the saddle and my PTO brace dont get in the way.

Mountain biking is a bit harder, there is more standing on the pedals when jumping down. I have found a bike that has dual suspesion helps relive some of the pressure on the knees. Just take it slow.. and dont forget to ice when you get home..

Good luck

Offline ridgeline

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:25:19 PM »
Mountain biking is great, it's the falling that hurts :)
Seriously though falling even mild ones where you catch yourself usually provide too much shock on the knee.

But in general I love mtb and it is easy on the knee due to having the third front gear so you can pedal at high cadence.
Although I am going to put one on my road bike now too.

Plus, being in a silent forest early in the morning with no one around and hours of single track stretching before you....well can't beat that.

Offline chrome vapors

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 03:10:22 AM »
how far removed are you from surgery? I probably couldn't function athletically if I didn't warm up on a stationary bike for a few minutes before hand. generally the motion of a riding a bike is pretty good for loosening your knee up. mountain biking sounds a little extreme though.

support