Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tibial tubercle transfer surgery...so many questions!  (Read 25953 times)

Offline Strawberrry12

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tibial tubercle transfer surgery...so many questions!
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 01:47:12 AM »
My entire situation has changed in the last 24 hours and I'm not happy. My parents decided to cancel my surgery and try other things until December. Honestly, this makes me mad. How many more times am I gonna have to go though painful knee problems before I can just be done with it?! I tried acupuncture today (not my idea) and it helped in the way that my knee has loosened up but the amount of pain is now more. I'm very unhappy right now. I though my battle with a stupid knee was soon to be resolved but it turns out that it's not. And won't be for a long time. This makes me so mad I don't even know what to do... >:(
-18 years old-
2002- 7 years old, first subluxation
4 more subluxations
9/'10- MRI: microfracture, damage and stretched ligaments
PT, all was going well, got into sports again
03/20/10- 6th subluxation: worse yet!
8/2/10 MPFL repair and lateral release

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 04:52:36 AM »
Hey sounds like you're having a crappy day!  And no wonder!  After I decided to have the surgery, I was super impatient because I was ready for something to be fixed finally!  It stinks that your parents are unwilling to do the surgery now.  Is there something that made them decide that? 

I'm sorry the acupuncture didn't help out like you/your parents hoped.  I hope you find some pain relief soon.   :-\

-Jen
1999-ish: L knee hyperextension on trampoline
4/30/2010 Fulkerson Osteotomy and MPFL/LPFL reconstruction
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline Strawberrry12

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Jen-

I think the whole idea of me having surgery just really scares my parents, which I understand. One of them thinks that I'll "grow out of it" and the other one says, "in 20 years there will be better solutions". The growing out of it thing, we've already been told that's not going to happen. And who knows, maybe there will be better solutions in 20 years. But my problems are now, and can't wait 20 years. They also have the idea of waiting until winter break to see if it gets better by then and if not, doing the surgery then. But then I wouldn't be able to do swim team next year, and that was my original goal!

I'm going to talk to them again and ask them to keep the appointment just a little longer so we can really think about this. What happens happens, and there isn't much I can do about it.

p.s. sorry for being such a downer, i'll be happier soon!

-Bree
-18 years old-
4 more subluxations

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 05:49:23 AM »
I'm sure my Mom had some of the same reservations, as any parent would.  But she's disabled and has numerous knee/ankle/foot problems so she KNEW how I felt.  I'm not sure my Dad or sister ever really understood my pain and fears with my knee because they haven't been through anything like it.  I can imagine that someone who hasn't had problems since childhood like us would have a problem understanding why such extensive surgery at a young age IS good.  You don't need to apologize for being such a downer because I'm sure most of the people on this site understand how you feel.  Knowing there's a possibility of a solution but having it out of your reach is hard to deal with! 

I'm really sorry you are struggling with this now, and really hope your parents listen to YOU!  While you are still a minor (If I recall correctly) you do have a working mind and I hope they listen to you, or are just willing to have a good discussion about it. 

Good luck!!
-Jen
Serving with Peace Corps July 2011-September 2013 in South Africa-knee is happy :)

Offline Strawberrry12

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 08:15:04 PM »
Hey Jen thanks for the response.

I've done some talking and convincing and I now I have my mom on board! My dad's the tough one though, so I'll have to talk to him again. As I was reading your post, I got up and started walking away and I hit the inside of my knee on the arm rest and POP my knee subluxed again. Uggh it's so frustrating but I'm not giving up yet!
I hope you are doing well too by the way, I haven't had a chance to check your diary but I will sometime today! ;)

-Bree
-18 years old-
4 more subluxations

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2010, 01:57:35 PM »
Hi Bree!

Good job with getting your Mom on board.  I hope you all get the right decision, and soon so you don't have the uncertainty to deal with!

Ick!  Pop noises are NOT fun! Hope you don't have that happen again!!

And I am doing good! I am pleased with how I'm doing and glad I had the surgery done.  That hasn't always been my attitude, but I'm feeling much more "normal" now.   :D

-Jen

Offline Strawberrry12

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2010, 02:02:37 AM »
Jen,
It's so great to hear that you're doing well! It's great for me to see someone else who is young like me and has survived this surgery   ;) haha

I've put together a bunch of websites showing the pros and cons of this procedure and I will present it to my parents hopefully tonight. Being at the undecided point 1 month before my scheduled date is killing me. I really need to know if it's gonna happen! I'm gonna ask them to make their final decision by the end of this weekend because the suspense of not knowing needs to stop! After this weekend we're going on vacation until mid July anyway, so there's no time to talk then.

Thanks for all the support and for keeping such a great post op diary for me to look at! :D

-Bree
-18 years old-
4 more subluxations

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 10:16:28 PM »
Hey Bree!

Hope the discussion with your parents went/goes well!  Uncertainty sure is a pain in the rear!  And have a great vacation! 

-Jen

Offline Strawberrry12

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2010, 05:22:27 AM »
Hey Jen!

I sure appreciate hearing from you :)
I am getting closer in the discussion with my parents! We are not totally finalized, but it's looking like a yes so far. Dad said "I will support whatever you and your mother choose to do." Mom says "I want all three of us to be in on the decision making process." Me and my mom are going to call my dad soon and have a "conference call" to make a decision. I know this is an important choice to make so I guess it's a good thing that we are taking so long and spending so much time thinking about it.  ;)

-Bree
-18 years old-
4 more subluxations

Offline Strawberrry12

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 05:48:49 AM »
Another update! We are definitely going for the knee surgery now, and I am not letting my parents change their minds again! We finally got to sit down and have a good long talk about the benefits and risks and I think there's more going for me than against me  ;)
So now I have 9 days to prepare before I go to camp! The day after I get back is the big day so the clock is definitely ticking. It's 17 days away..wow.
Another interesting thing i found out...my great grandma had this same surgery done because her knee was twisted like mine! So now I can officially blame genetics for my issues.
So what are some other good things to have besides ice packs, pillows for elevation, shower seat, and crutches?
One last thing...I was stupid and googled imaged of "fulkersons osteotomy" and saw some reeeeally big scars. Anyone care to share how long your scar is? I've seen 3in-10in. That's a huge range!
Thanks for all the help!

-Bree  ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 06:07:21 AM by Strawberrry12 »
-18 years old-
4 more subluxations

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2010, 06:45:48 PM »
Hey Bree!

I'm glad you finally have a definite plan and can prepare for it!  You've got some time, but I'm sure it won't seem like enough.  Enjoy being able to walk and do everything normally!  :)

You ought to ask your doctor if you'll be prescribed a cryocuff (or similar) cooling device for post-op.  It is much better than using ice packs, and was my best friend after surgery.   ;)   Make sure you have stuff to do-books, movies, tv, computer.  You will be bored once you are not sleeping all the time.  I had a nice little nest made at home and at my dorm with everything I needed withing easy reach. 

Here's a pic of my scar as of today.  Mine is about 7 inches long.  When I bend, it's over 9 inches long. ;)  I didn't expect it to be that long, but I'm ok with it now.  It was a shock post-op though!  It's starting to turn white now, which is nice.  Some people do have small scars.  When I posted a pic of mine on here, lots of people were surprised with how large it was.  So you might not have one quite so large.  You'll have to check with the doc.

-Jen

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2010, 06:51:46 PM »
I've had 3 TTT's and none of my scars have been over 3.5".  My PFJR scar is only 6.5"
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Strawberrry12

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2010, 12:10:20 AM »
Thank you to everyone who replied!

KW- I really hope mine will only be 3.5 like yours!

Jen- Was your MPFL an open surgery? Maybe that's why your scar is so long! I was told they could probably do mine arthoscopicly which would be awesome. For some reason the idea of having an incision that goes over my knee cap freaks me out...I don't know why! But if mine turns out as long as yours I guess it won't be too bad. I  mean, you survived it why can't I?  ;)

-Bree  :)
-18 years old-
4 more subluxations

Offline naturegirl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2010, 03:45:41 AM »
Yeah, my MPFL was done open, which obviously made for a longer scar.  It was a little scary to bend it right after surgery because I was afraid of the incision bursting open. :)  That didn't happen, but it did make me nervous!  I think most people do it arthroscopically though, so it might very well be smaller.  Either way, it's just a scar.  Better on my leg then on my nose or something.  ;)

-Jen

Offline Strawberrry12

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2010, 06:48:31 AM »
Jen,
your scar does look really good though! it's light colored which is what I'm hoping for :) I guess I don't really care about the scar that I end up with, i'm more scared of the incision itself and I have the same fear of it bursting open spontaneously.

-Bree  :)
-18 years old-
4 more subluxations