Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What does my MRI really mean pt 2.  (Read 2761 times)

Offline teebo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What does my MRI really mean pt 2.
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:24:09 AM »
i had a mri done in 2006 when i seeked a second opinion pt 1 can be found here - http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29818.0,

Anyhow fast forward 2 weeks ago, and I just got on a friends brand new bike and began pedaling and only for a few mins but i got off because i try to stay away from such activities because ever since I had injured my knee in 1998 it was never the same. Actually it was injured in

1998, 2000, 2002, and like I said it has never been the same. All those years my knee swell up big time, and I had to be on crutches for six months. No major tears or anything and you can find the result of my previous mri at the thread above in 2006.

Anyhow after i rode my friends bike the following day my knee began to be stiff, swelled up a bit, not as much as those prior years, but there was no pain this time, just inflammation and stiffness, had to ice it and rest it for a week, finally got to dr and said i needed an mri. Got the  mri done, basically said he doesn't believe the plica is an issue, no surgery needed everything is fine, just continue resting, iceing, do some PT(but wasn't really keen on it) said just strengthen your quads up.

This is all very frustrating because I used to play sports, and for the last 8 years i have basically stopped doing much physical activity because iam scared il be on crutches for the next 6 months. i would love to run again, ride bikes, roller blade if i wanted, but there is just something wrong with my knee where i just feel safer babying it.

Anyhow here is this recent mri result if someone can explain it to me because the dr didn't do a good job, it seems they never do :(

indication

Internal derangement and meniscal tear.

Technical factors

Multiplanar and multisequence images of the left knee were obtained without contract on a mid field hitachi airis elite open mri system

findings

the menisci and the posterior cruciate ligament are intact. the anterior cruiciate ligament demonsrates myxoid change. there is distal quadricpes tendinopathy. proximal patellar tendinopathy is also noted. the collateral ligaments are normal.

impression

1. distal quadricpes tendinopathy

Thanks in advance. The last time I posted for results i got such a great response hoping i will this time :)

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: What does my MRI really mean pt 2.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:17:32 PM »
Irritation of your quadriceps...are you seeing a PT for it?

Interesting about the myxoid change on the acl. Myxoid means "mucus like". Mucoid degeneration in an ACL is where you get a thickened and ill-defined ligament--but the ligament is otherwise physically intact. It's not very common...but it could certainly be causing your pain, if that's what it is. Basically, it's a cyst-type thing on your ACL. Removal clears up the issue, typically.

It really is pretty rare, though...but nothing hurting asking your orthopedist about it.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline teebo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 06:05:09 PM »
I'll be doing PT soon as I can start driving(have a stick shift need my knee) Doctor wrote an rx for it, with electric simulation, moist heat, sonar, and evaulation and AROMA

Anyhow, he didn't even mention anything from the report, he simply read about the menisci and ligament and that was it, i had to read the report myself to see the myxoid change.

Right now I'm just doing exercises at home to make my quads stronger, but i know this is not the answer.

What do you think i should do? Why didn't this mri show the plica as the one from 2006?

Should I push for artho?

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 06:37:03 PM »
Irritation of your quadriceps...are you seeing a PT for it?

Interesting about the myxoid change on the acl. Myxoid means "mucus like". Mucoid degeneration in an ACL is where you get a thickened and ill-defined ligament--but the ligament is otherwise physically intact. It's not very common...but it could certainly be causing your pain, if that's what it is. Basically, it's a cyst-type thing on your ACL. Removal clears up the issue, typically.

It really is pretty rare, though...but nothing hurting asking your orthopedist about it.

In irony of all ironies, I have been diagnosed with extensive mucoid degeneration of the ACL. :D :D :D
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty