Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Oops, that'll be my ACL then.....  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Clarus

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Oops, that'll be my ACL then.....
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:34:31 PM »
Well, hello folks

**WARNING This post is sooo much longer than first thought it would be, so sorry chaps ***

What an amazing place, so full of so much incredible and useful and inspiring information (and some pretty awesome people too)

My story starts only a few weeks ago (10 March ) during karate training, whilst sparring, went down awkwardly and my left knee felt like the sound of ripping silk (I know - but that's the only way I can think of to describe it  :-\)

Took a moment on the floor to gather myself together and then stood up... gingerly.. a bit sore but not unbearable.

Dropped out for the rest of the session and just kept moving gently. Got home, by this time knee was starting to swell a bit and feel uncomfortable, but still not unbearable. Iced it - a lot, took some painkillers. Had a fairly uncomfortble night and woke the next morning with a swollen uncomfortable knee. Felt there was something really 'not right' about it so got appointment to see GP. He looked at it, moved it around a bit and said he thought I'd just strained my quads a bit, prescribed anti-inflammatories and no karate for a week, go back and see him in 5 days. Continued to ice it (used to various bumps and bruises with the karate  :D) and took things reasonably easy

Went back - by this time most of the swelling had gone,but the knee was still very uncomfortable and ROM was limited, he said he thought it was absolutely fine, and would settle down nicely.

During this time I had not done anything to put undue strain on the leg, but,a day or so after this thought I would try gently moving through some warm up stretches and exercises and some slow stances , it didn't feel great and my knee felt all 'grindy' and not entirely stable. Hmmmm.......

A few days later I had a lesson booked with one of my karate instructors, decided to keep it, tell him about my knee and see what he suggested. He asked me to go slowly through some movements and as I went to pivot on my left knee it just gave way, there was me, on the floor completely without warning... :o :o :-[!!! Then it gave way as I was stepping out of the car that evening, and again the next morning when I forgot and twisted round to pick something off the flooor

Back to GP

He reluctantly referred me to an ortho consultant but told me he felt that it was probably nothing major and at my age they were unlikely to do anything anyway!!!! ??? ???

Saw the consultant who took a history, examined me, did the tests and told me he was pretty sure my ACL was ruptured, plus sprained mcl and possibly meniscus damage and booked me for an mri the following week, and I got a phsyio appointment too.
The physio gave me loads of prehab stuff to work on (to loosen off my hamstrings mainly )
I saw consultant again on 15th April where he confirmed the ACL rupture, mcl  but wasn't too clear on the meniscus.

So - I go for ACLr on 26th April (plus anything else that needs doing when he gets into the knee)
He told me that for him the important factor was not age but activity level and willingness to follow the rehab programme exactly, and he has performed ACLr on a number of people who do martial arts with an excellent success rate.

If you've got this far - many thanks for staying with me :)
Ive spent the past few days finding out everything I can.
This board is just chock full of so much - I've spent a lot of time reading the stuff on here.

I'm pretty worried about the whole thing but determined to make the best of it, work hard and get back to Karate in some form at some point

Not sure how the first few days will be but I'm trying hard to plan for all the things I'll need, thanks to all those who've shared their experiences and tips.

Ah well, must be off to my bed.....

Night Night
C

ACL rupture March 2010
ACLr (Hamstring) 26 April 2010

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Oops, that'll be my ACL then.....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 12:16:22 AM »
Hi and welcome to this wonderfull site there are a load of us acl'ers on here so I'm sure you will get loads of advice and encouragment from everyone.
You are very lucky you had your diagnosis as quickly as you did and the fact your geting your surgery as soon as you are is making me a wee bit jelous lol, as god knows how long I will have to wait to get fixed, where abouts are you cos it sounds like they have an excellent system wherever you are.
I hope your pain is not too bad and I look forward to hearing how you get on.
Take care Tez

L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Clarus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:00:36 AM »
Hi Tez

Thank you, it feels like I've come to the right place :)
I function much better when I'm informed.

I'm in England but making use of private healthcare that we have as a family via corporate membership (We've had this for about 20 years and, apart, from a few minor tests, have never really made use of it - and the tax paid for the 'benefit' over that time would probably cover most of the costs  :o .) Not entirely sure about NHS waiting times but believe it's up to 6 weeks to see an OS then 4-6 months waiting time for the op once a diagnosis is made.

You seem to have had a really tough time with your knee, hope the appointment you've got coming up gets you moving forward.
xC

ACL rupture March 2010

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:29:59 PM »
Thanks for thr good wishes for my upcomig appointment it as been a long time in coming.
This will be my second o.s as the first one who did my scope does not do acl recons so I then have to wait another 7 weeks after he refered me just to see the new surgeon, dont know how long the wait for surgery will be so I guess I will have to be patient.
Lucky you having private health care I wish I had it.  I thought about it a few years ago and decided it would not be worth it as I am usually in good health, wish I had a crystal ball and could have seen into the future lol. so its the good old n.h.s for me.
Take care Tez   
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »
Ouch! Sorry to hear that, but glad for you that you have the private healthcare option and are able to get treated sooner rather than later. Apparently 6-8 weeks after an ACL tear is the optimal time for surgery, and if left longer than 3 months the risk of doing additional damage rises significantly. (If you're very bored, I posted a link to some of the scientific studies on this in the "ACL Injury" thread.

If your ACL and MCL have gone, it's quite likely that there will be damage to the meniscus - it's very common to do all three together (the skiers' "unhappy triad".) If you do have damage to the meniscus, they should be able to clean it up while you're having your ACLr.

I blew my ACL right around the same time as you - March 5th - but am facing a 6-8 month wait for surgery due to the long wait times here. :( I paid for my own MRI to speed the process up a bit, but it's still a long time to wait. Thankfully my recovery from the original injury has been pretty good, so I've been able to get back to a lot of the activities I enjoy already. I'm seeing the OS on May 19th, so I should have a better idea then of when my surgery will happen.

Best of luck with your reconstruction, and please keep us posted on how the recovery goes! What sort of graft are you having?
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Clarus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 09:29:57 AM »
Hello again

Tez, yes, the private healthcare is good - though they don't cover everything, just trying to get a clear picture of exactly what ISN'T covered.

Snowy, Hi
Re 6-8 weeks optimum time - the OS is saw said exactly that, when I saw him on 1st April. My knee was still a bit swollen and ROM limited - he said he wanted as close to full ROM as possible by the time I got back to see him a fortnight later.
 So, some physio and gym work later and he was happy. I have reasonably strong legs anyway (karate and stuff on average 4-5 times  week for the past few years has helped somewhat! )

It's hard that you have to wait so long for your op - but it looks as though you're finding lots of things to do in the meantime :)
I have been told that if I'd chosen to go with the nhs my age would have mean I was very low priority - not really sure what the implications would be there. My neighbour's 16 year old son had an ACLr in Feb and he waited 4 months  (and got a cancellation a month before his op date)

Although I'm 'bricking it' as they say around here, about the op, I'm finding even in the short time I've been injured it is so disruptive to my life and that of those around me. I know there's a long way to go but I'd rather start on the journey as soon as possible.....

Right - off to fix a computer - at least I can still do some things

Back later
xC
ACL rupture March 2010