Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: horizontal medial meniscus tear..post op  (Read 8190 times)

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
Re: horizontal medial meniscus tear..post op
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2003, 02:10:40 AM »
Hi Barbara,
Welcome to the board.
I have to ask where your tear is on the medial meniscus?  As in anterior or posterior or somewhere in between?  
Healing does depend on where the tear is because different parts of the meniscus have different amounts of blood supply which affects healing.
All that said, my os told me that horizontal  tears in the posterior meniscus won't heal on their own and require surgery.  I had no choice.
Pre op I could walk normally, and was playing netball until other circumstances forced me to stop (not knee related).  The only time I had a problem was when I was bending or squatting.  so my tear didn't really impact too much on daily life and I put up with it for 6 mths before surgery.  However at the end of the day, despite it feeling okay, it was never going to heal on its own and I risked it getting worse.  Horizontal tears are very prone to worsen because of their nature.

So my advice would be to find out where the tear is, what category it falls into (red on red = good blood, white on red = chance of repair, white on white = removal, very poor blood flow) and then make your decision from there.  If you're not happy with your answers from your os, get another opinion.

anyway I know I haven't given any answers in regards to self healing but I think you should know the whole story.
Also check out step four on the kneeguru website page.  It is all aobut the meniscus.  Very informative.

I hope I have helped a little and feel free to ask any questions.  Take care and keep us posted.  :)
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2003, 03:12:06 PM »
Well I gues it's time for an update.  I tried to go crutchless for the first time in public tonight. I would say it went okay.  I had a little bit of walking to do but seeing as the weather had cooled I didn't think it would be a problem.  I've been having all sorts of problems this week.  Firstly I over did on  Tues.  That took 3 days to get over.  
Secondly the temp.  We're coming into summer down here and it's starting to get hotter during the days.  Well with the nerve damage, my knee can't tolerate these temps.  It  wants to swell badly (thank goodness for AI) and then starts to hurt.  It gets really hot to touch and difficult to walk on.  The only relief is to get an ice pack.  So that's what I've had to do.  I've been walking around with an ice pack strapped to my leg.  It's a great fashion statement.  What else can I do?  :P
Thankfully with all this going on, I haven't lost any rom and can still do my exercises.  Then I have to sit down with it up but you get that.
Thirdly I had an incident at pt where I nearly fell over but at the last minute before a face plant I managed to catch myself in a crouched bending position with my arms against the wall.  Quite a save my pt said.  I just looked at him in horror.  I just saw my life flash before my eyes and all's that I could think was 'I'm falling and I can't put my leg down'.  and all's he could say was 'good save'?!  NOT HAPPY  :-X :-[ :'(  The last thing I need is to fall and break my knee into small twited pieces.  Maybe next time, (there won't be a next time, I assure you), he'll listen to me when I offer some info.  If he doesn't then he'll hear the word NO a bit more often.

So I guess I've had an action packed week.  Some of the action I could do without.  

Well I'm getting tired.
I hope everyone is having some good knee days.
8)
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2003, 04:07:19 PM »
Here's another update.
I'm officially off crutches all the time and it's been a week.
I still have a bad limp which depends on weather, how tired I am, how long I've been walking and which tile I have managed to trip on.
I hate walking down hills and downstairs -  I find it quite painful.  Upstairs and up hills is okay.
I've been cut down to one pt a week which I'm not happy about considering I'm still 40 odd degrees of a full bend and then there's the scar tissue which has attached to the joint.  I'm apparently to start hydrotherapy next week which I have mixed feelings about but I don't have much say in it.  
I start work on a reduced hours program next Monday and after a little argument with the OT we have agreed on the number of hours I'm to do.
I'm at the bottom of the unhappy cycle where I am totally over this knee and I jsut want my life back.

ON the bright side of things I can DRIVE!!!!  Finally after 8 1/2 wks I have been cleared to drive short distances.  No more taxis and calling people to come and get me.  Now all's I need is the stamina to go shopping, real shopping not just in and out shopping, without the possibility of suffering from overdoing it.  Oh well, that day is coming.

I also thank the little white with yellow pills I take each day (AI) which enable me to keep my knee swelling under control.

So here's to some good knee days ..... for all of us.

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2003, 09:41:31 AM »
Time again for another update.
I've come to the conclusion that my knee sucks.
I'm back at work on reduced hours.  I am so tired.  I am trying to not overdo it but it seems that no matter how hard I try, I still am.  My knee has been sh*t the last few days.
It gets all hot and swollen and starts to ache.  Every evening for the last 5 days I've had these problems and have spent the evening icing it and trying to stay off it.  I've managed to figure out why I'm having so many problems - over doing it.  I Overdid it at pt and have had muscle pains reducing to soreness since last Thursday.  I have joint pain from standing and walking too much.  And I'm so tired at night that some afternoons I can't help but to have a nap.

My ot doesn't seem to understand, though the tears helped.  She just wanted to know why I wasn't in hydro yet.  Does she realise what a major effort that would be?  And how long that would make my day?  Uurrgh!  I don't have the energy to do it and if I'm tired I'm likely to hurt myself.  Man....  If only some of these treating professionals had actually been there dont that, then they would have a different view.  

My rom hasn't improved in 2 wks but at least my fluidity has improved.  

So I just needed to vent.  And now I have.  Thanks for listening.
Let's hope there are some better knee days for us all soon.