Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: horizontal medial meniscus tear..post op  (Read 8122 times)

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
Re: horizontal medial meniscus tear..post op
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2003, 07:26:53 PM »
Wow- what a way to survive a day.  I don't blame you for crying.  It's kind of hard to continue doing those excersises while someone stands there watching you hurt and cry and push on just to make it to the end.

And you have every right to tell your PT that you would prefer to do the lef lifts before the massage.  This is your body and your recovery- so if it makes the leg lifts easier, then the PT should agree.  You know what you are capable of and if it makes for a better PT session, then you let them know.

They are there for your benefit- not the other way around- so they need to be accomodating to your specific needs as long as it's not something that is going to cause you further injury.  I'm proud of you for sticking up for yourself and you WILL show them!!

It is so good to hear that you were able to get to 100.  Even though there was major pain- you did it!  And to have found that quad as well, so yes- there was some good mixed in with the bad.

And please, don't feel like you are scaring me.  I'm already scared about the day my OS tells me I have to start.  I would much rather have a true picture of what to expect.  That way I can brace myself for the worst.  If it turns out not to be quite as bad as expected, it will be a good thing.  And if it turns out to be as bad as expected, I won't be in shock or suffer a major let-down.

So this new stimulator treatment- is it something that you will have to do every time, or was it a one time deal to try and find that quad?  Can they lessen the setting if it is too strong and causes too much discomfort?  I know that you have to feel it, but only to a certain extent.

Well, I'm saddened to hear that you had such a bad day, but am so very happy that you did have some good come out of it.  You really do inspire me because although you are having a rough go of it- you manage to take the punches and get back up again.  That alone is a major accomplishement in my game book.  I am very proud of you.  

Hoping today will be better than yesterday!  Let me know how your day was today.  I'm gonna designate myself as your very own personal cheering section- even if I am accross the globe!  I have strong lungs. 8)

XOXO
Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2003, 02:55:21 PM »
Well today started off not too welll.  I was so tired I felt sick.  I overdid it yesterday evening.  So I went back to bed adn slept till 11am.  Then I did lots of leg lifts (I'll show you who can do leg lifts, I did 15!)  Then I did some bending and stetching.  Then I got up.  I felt so much better after the extra sleep.  Depression and crying sure can tire you out.  I think the fact that I was walking around on one crutch..yes you heard me correctly, all night.  It was so weird because I didn't know what to do with the other arm..Hey did you know that you can carry things in one hand?   :o  Amazing.

Anyway I am feeling so much better today.  I have got my perspective readjusted.  I've decided to make a list of all the positives and negatives and pin it on the fridge so that when I'm starting to feel down I can remember all the good things.  I am also feeling much more positive about the whole thing.  I just hope it will last.  I think having a list will help keep things in perspective.  I think I should post it somewhere here too.  Where do you think it should go?

Even tonight I am feeling tired.  I even had a snooze for 1 1/2 hrs before.  You don't realise how things tire you out.  And it's not like I've been galavanting around the country side.

My mum is coming to visit for a couple of days tomorrow.  That'll be nice to have the company.  

We need to do some Chrissie shopping before she goes on her big trip.  I'll post that near your geography lesson.  :)

Well, here's to more good attitude days.  8)
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2003, 08:58:40 PM »
Maybe that list should be in the spiritual help & encouragement section, as I think it would tend to be an encouragement for you as well as others- Plus it would be a great idea to share.  You might even post it in the Know each other section as well.  A lot of people might joint in and add their lists as well.  Good therapy to talk about the good with the bad.  I think it shows that there is something possitive- we just have to remember to see and appreciate them

Good to hear that this is a better day.  It sounds like you needed that extra rest.  I'm glad you were able to accomodate your body with its request for sleep.  Frustrations and anger take so much energy.  Energy that needs to be applied more towards healing & recovery.

You seem to do a great job of keeping yourself in check.  A lot of people could take a lesson from that.

Now- you make sure you get lots of rest so that you can really enjoy your time with your mom.  Snd who doesn't enjoy Christmas shopping?  I can't even beleive it's already time for that.

Continue to have better, brighter days!

XOXO
Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2003, 12:45:43 PM »
Well as I said I went to pt and os today.  Very big day indeed.  I'm absolutely stuffed.  So if I seema little quiet it's just because I'm dead tired.

First the os appt.  I decided not to bring up the starting knee bending thing because why should I drag myself through that again.  I figure he must have had his reasons.
He askied me to show him how I could bend it while on the exam table.  this is where I took a deep breath because I get better bending wiht it hanging over the edge rather than sitting on something.  so I bent it and he got out his protractor.  Gues what!!!  I made 100!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Without really trying and with no warmup.  I couldn't believe it.  Finally I have got past that 90.  So happy with that.  He ahd a bit of a play with the nerve thng (see soft tissue healing post).  At least it is progressing.  He was generally quite happy with.  He did say that if I couldn't get it to bend he would have to put me under and make it bend.  No way is that going to happen. :P  but he said as long as it progresses he was happy.  I also walked into his office on one crutch.  I was really just showing off.  He wants to see me again in a month.

I should just mention that I had to wait an hour while he talked on the phone.  Apparently he was giving evidence via phone in court.  I could tell by the way he had to keep anwering the same question over andover.  An hour!!!!

We went back home for an hour or so and then I had pt.

As I walked in I said I made 100, with a big smile on my face.  I was in a good mood.  He said he had spoken with os yesterday and said I could do 100 but struggled with anything further.  Thankfully he didn't say 105 cos I would've been stuffed.  Anyway he was pleased.  
And first up I had those darn leg lifts.  I still had trouble because my leg was not fully relaxed.  So I don't know if he believes me.   Maybe as you said it just has stage fright.

He had this new gadget which measures how hard your muscle is actually working.  So he put it on my good leg and it measured 170 odd.  then he put it on my bad leg.  I managed to get around 60 odd.  Not bad for the third quad which I have only just found again.  So at least I'm on the right track.  then he helped me stretch my leg. Ow.  I've been getting cramps behind my knee where the hammies join on.  really painful depending on what I am doing.  And the top of the calf cramps too, where it joins on.  Very annoying. :P
Then he had a go at bending it.  Thankfully not on my stomach.  NO Tears   ;D  He was happy with the amount of pain I took.  
Then he put the measuring thing on again while I did some lunges.  Boy did I make it beep (it beeps when you pass a certain level).  I got to 262.  I wasn't able to compare it to the other leg but pt was very happy.

So on the whole I had a good day.  Now of course, I'm suffering.  Cramping and swelling etc.  But that's okay because I can deal.  No worries  ;D

Well How's the wet slobery kisses going?  Do I need to send some more your way?  I will anyway.

Blue skies (even though it's currently raining outside)  8)
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2003, 05:01:02 AM »
 ;D ;D ;DI'm grinning ear to ear for you again!!  I am in the presence of the queen of PT patiens!!  I'm going to have to send you a crown, a septer & one of thos fuzzy spotted shoulder wraps!  Boy would that give your PT a good laugh!

I am so happy for you Sienna- no more than happy- I am giddy with excitement over these wonderful steps you're making in your recovery.  I know you are pleased.  Although I dread starting PT, seeing the progress you are making is kind of making me wish my OS would go ahead and put me in when he sees me next.  I'm going to write myself a reminder to ask him about it.  When I see him next I'll be 5 weeks post op, so maybe he will tell me to go for it.

You have really given that knee a go for the money, so get some rest this weekend.  Do something to pamper yourself.  You deserve it- you are really working hard and putting 100% plus!

If I were a teacher- I'd give you one of those little gold stars! ;)

I am going to take those slobber kisses from popper doggie.  I need them!

You be good, be safe and keep up those SBS's- they seem to be working!

Lezlee

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2003, 05:26:06 AM »
Are yoy still here?  Wow this would be a first.  What areyou doing up so late?

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2003, 06:09:41 AM »
Darn....Missed you here too....Hey, what am i doing up so late?  Oh yeah, Friday night.....just got paid.....parties hoppin.....feeling right../`./`./`./`(thos are music notes)
I'm seinging over here.

Really though- it's only 10 pm, so I'm good right now.

HUGS
Lezlee

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2003, 11:04:30 AM »
Singing... I thought we'd already talked about this.  Oh well.  It's your own home you can do whatever you want and boohoo to anyone who doesn't like it.  You go girl!
So you must be about 13 hrs behind then.  One day we'll have to work out a time to talk directly (in a manner of speaking).
As for the 100%, I think I could put more effort in but why push it too hard?  Everytime that I do, I pay for it the next day.  Today my calf is really tight from yesterday's lunges at pt.  I was really pumped to show him who's boss.  and to make that little machine beep long and loud.  I think I accomplished that.  I also gave him a hint on how to motivate me.  He told me to do some lunges then I could go.  I said how many?  He said whatever.  I told him to give me a target towork for then I would do it.  So he said 10, so I did.  I put lots of effort in.  Amazing what you can do when you're motivated and not crying.  
I also noticed he was wearing the yellow socks again.  I ragged him about it because I had seen them earlier in the week.  either that or his wife has nothing better to do than washing.  Poor thing.  Now I will have to keep tabs on his lary socks.  
I think after yesterday we understand each other a little better.  He was really bending my knee and I  took it.  He knows how hard it is for me.  

It's hard to know how I'm going because I don't have a time line to compare it to.  I just plod along at my pace.  Which is good, don't get me wrong but sometimes you need somethng to compare it to.  I guess it's the competitivenes coming out in me.  I guess once you take out the 4 wks in a splint,  no bend to 100 degrees in two weeks is good.  My next goal is to get the next 10 degrees.  Oh boy.  I can do it.  Positive thoughts.  Can you hear me psyching myself up?  I've done it before, I can do it again.  
It's just that now the os has said that if it won't bend then he will make it bend.  The thought makes me shudder.  It's extra pressure now.  I just ignored the pt when he said it.

I am also now trying anti inflammatories - celebrex.  I took one last night and so far it hasn't made me sick.  So I guess I'll give it a go.  I've had 2 bad experiences with these things before so I am a bit reluctant.  If it helps with the swelling I'll try it.  The swelling is really bad.  I can only stand for 5-10 min before I get that pulsing feeling.  But I don't get it if I am sitting with it on the floor.  Must just be gravity.  ???

Well I think I have just typed a marathon.  Still having good knee days.  3 in a row.  Can I make it 4?  I think I will  pass on one of mine so you can have it.   you need a break.  Be on the lookout for it okay?!

Hugs all around.

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2003, 01:33:22 AM »
Wow- 3 good days in a row.  I truly appreciate you sharing one with me,  but if it means you having a bad day, please keep it!  I don't want one single set back for you.  I'm going to have good knee days very soon.

I'm also glad that things are going well with your PT.  I guess it makes it much easier/more bearable when you have a good relationship with the person that brings you pain and encouragement all at the same time.  From what I hear, the best PT here on the beach is a female, and I don't want to jinx anything, but in the past, many of the females in the medical profession here at the beach have had absolutley NO sympathy.  I guess I'll be finding out soon enough.

sienna- i think your Pt is starting to realize that you mean what you say and that you are going to do this thing- no matter what he throws your way.  You just make sure his socks coordinate with his outfit!  

I think I could learn a few things about making successful with the PT sessions from you.  I'll be coming to you for lots of advice when I get to that point.

You will continue to do well if you keep that "can do" attitude.  So, keep it going!!

Lezlee

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2003, 05:08:29 AM »
I'm running a bit low on the can do at the moment.  I didn't sleep very well again last night.  I was tossing and turning all over the place trying to get comfortable.  Today my knee is a bit out of sorts.  I haven't takien tramal at night for the last two nights and am wondering if it's just coincidence or not that those two nights I haven't slept very well.  My knee doesn't hurt but I just can't get comfortable.  Then I wake up feeling a little on the grumpy side.  It's not good to be there because you start thinking about negative things and I am trying very hard not to.  It doesn't help that I'm home alone again.  

I am going to ring my friend later,  I hope she can come and get me.

I was just thinkg about what my os asked me on Friday.  He asked me if I'd had any preop pain yet.  Of course not.  I won't know till I can bend it fully because that was when I got the pain.  So now I'm thinking, I won't know if it's been repaired for weeks yet.  What if it hasn't and I have to go through all this again.?!  :'(  I don't know if I could go through all this again.  I've already missed 7mths of my life.  There's no guarantee that it will have healed.  My os didn't even want to give my any odds.
I guess there's nothing I can do except wait and see and hope for the best.  :-/

Well I don't want to dwell on it for too much longer.  Takes up too much energy.  It doesn't help that I'm tired.

So
On the bright side I got to sleep on my stomach for a bit last night.  First time in 6 1/2 wks.  I had to be very careful not to hurt myself.  I think I may have done that just tossing around all night.  What can I do to get comfortable?  I haven't been so restless for ages.  I don't want to injure myself.

Help please.

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2003, 10:50:51 PM »
Oh sweetie.  You and I are in the same boat with the "sadness/worrying" thing today.  I am so sorry.  Lack of sleep can reek havoc on you physically as well as mentally.

This may not be a very comforting idea for you, but if you put your imobilizer on, or maybe wrap your knee snuggly with an ace bandage before you go to bed, you might be able to sleep on your stomache.  I too am a stomache sleeper, and after the first surgery, I couldn't sleep well because I couldn't get on my stomache.

This go around, I decided to keep the imobilizer on and have been sleeping on my beely from the get-go.  I just have to use a somewhat flat pillow under my foot to help keep it comfortable.  Do you think you might be able to try it?  If you already aren't sleeping well, it probably won't hurt to at least try?

You are home alone?  Is your hubby away for business?  I know being alone while dealing with recovery can be very depressing.  There is noone there to help keep your mind busy.  Makes it very easy to let your mind wander towards the "dark-side".

As for not knowing whether the repair has taken and is healing properly, I would hope that if there were problems they would have manifest themselves by now.  When I fell at 2 weeks post-op, I began having problems immediately.  Until that time, I had been coming along nicely.  It sounds like you are doing good with the PT.  Have you had any locking or grinding in that knee?  If not, then I would enture to guess that all is well with the repair.  I will say a little prayer for you and your knee.

If you think for one second that there is a problem with your repair- do not hesitate to bring your concerns to your OS.  If for some reason there were problems the best course of action is immediate action.

Please let me know if you start having any problems as well.  I'm here for you.  I will celebrate the good with you, and I will wipe your tears if anything bad happens.  I'm hoping that there will be lots of celebrating!

Your Friend,
Lezlee

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2003, 05:02:12 AM »
I don't know if I want to go back to old red.  wouldn't it be like going backwards?  I should have asked pt about it but I forgot.  I was busy putting him on the spot and working my butt off.  He has cottoned on to what I said about having goals.  Very observant wouldn't you say?!
And I was making that machine gadget beep it's little [email protected]! off.  He used strapping tape to hold it in place.  I didn'trealise that it was sticky and let him put it on.  I am allergic to strapping tape and bandaids etc.  I come up with eczema.  He forgot and said that I had a mouth but I replied that I didn't realise that he was using sticky stuff.  Oh well let's hope it wasn't on long enough to cause a problem.  Otherwise look out.  I still have the scar and shadow of the last eczema and that was two wks ago.  I forget.  It all blends into one or another day.

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2003, 10:54:08 PM »
Ouchy- I hope that sticky stuff didn't cause any skin damage!  Keep an eye on it.  Do you use any sort of cortizone cream when that kind of thing happens?

As for using big red at night.  I wouldn't really call it a step backwards if you are only using it when sleeping.  I was just trying to think of a way to keep tha knee comfy if it is keeping you up nights.  I'm always full of ideas, but unfortunately sometimes they aren't really the best ones.  

Were you able to get better rest last night?  I certainly hope so.  Lack of sleep makes me grumpier than a wet hen.  Not to mention to toll it takes on your outlook regarding recovery.  Kind of zaps your drive and then you can't put 100% in to the excersises, and then you kick yourself because you feel like you could have and should have done better.

Deffinately ask your PT about it though.  He may have some good advice.  I'm sure he wants you good and rested and not grumpy when he sees you.  It's a well known fact that men are terrified of grumpy women. ;D  I find that it keeps them on their toes though.

Let me know what color socks he has on during the next session.  I'm gonna vote those yellow socks again.  Maybe you ought to find him a pair of rainbow socks when you hit your last PT session with him.  It'll give him something to remember you by!!

Keep doing your thing girlie- you got it goin on all over PT!! (snapping fingers and doing the neck roll thingy)

X's & O's & puppy dog toes!
Lezlee

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2003, 03:26:40 AM »
Yes I thought I'd get him a pair of socks.  I think I'll be with him for a while yet though.  I haven't even started balance and twisting, yoweeee for the twisting.  Not good.  Balancing, I can already stand on that leg and keep balance.  He was impressed.  I have to be careful not to run out of good tricks.   I can't fall behind.  those darn leg lifts.  You'd think I's be able to do those no worries but they are still the bain of my existance.  I'm over though, it's not like I have to do leg lifts as part of my job or anything.  I figure I'll focus on improving the other things I can do.  I won't forget the lifts, just won't get so upset if I can't do them.

My basin looks nice and sparkly.  So does the bath tub.
so glad I finally did them.  Nothing worse thatn looking a t bath scum.

How's your knee today?

Offline rgfwriter.com

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2003, 09:24:56 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this board. You all sound like really lovely people!

I've just had MRI results that indicate  medial meniscus horizontal cleavage tear.  I've had the problem 6 weeks already and I would say there has been improvement with rest, ice, compression, and anti-inflammatories.  

I can walk very well right now with little to no pain. Swelling is minimal. Everything else is intact acording to the report.

I read on the web that some small varieties of this tear can heal on their own, given enough time. I would rather avoid surgery if at all possible. Anybody have any info on self-healing for this sort of thing? The stories of trying to recover from surgery are so discouraging!!1

Hope to hear from you.

Sincerely, Barbara

support