Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: horizontal medial meniscus tear..post op  (Read 8123 times)

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
Re: horizontal medial meniscus tear..post op
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2003, 07:20:50 AM »
Lezlee,
I have been keeping track of your travels on the crisis board.  As I said there, we'll be thinking of you.
Thanks for continued responses.  I really appreciate hearing from you.
I feel reallygood about my knee.  About the best so far.  There was an exercise that I couldn't do yesterday but this morning I could do it.  ;D  I now have to the fake walking to get my knee used to walking again.  My pt wants to get rid of the splint as soon as possible (but when I'm ready).  Apart from the bending issue,  everything else seems to going on track.  Finally it's good to have someone treating me who understands where I'm coming from.  It makes such a difference.  He wants to see me again on Monday.  I have to be able to bend my knee another 20 degrees.  So it's full steam ahead.  Hopefully my knee will cooperate with my new goal.
I thought I'd try standing for my first shower today.  Up till now, the joint has been too wobbly.  but today I think I'll give it a go.
Anyway, we will catch up soon.  

PS  Make sure you consider the two things I told you to do on the crisis board.  I've been there and done that and it was easier with those two things.

PPS.  Yes I am a teacher.  It has been wonderful to see my kids enjoy learning so much.  They love it.  I'm using a particular phonics/literacy program, Letterland.  They can't get enough.  and what's more, they are remembering it despite their intellectual impairments.  ;D ;D
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2003, 09:00:58 AM »
Hi all,
Went to pt today.  I have made some progress.  More details are in the 'meniscus: tear recovery and the future' section.  I have a long way to go.  My pt told workcover that I would be off work for at least another 4wks.  That takes me to 14th Nov.  Then I would expect to return to light duties part time.  We'll play it by ear.  I'll be lucky to return to full duties by the end of the school year (12 Dec).  My teaching partner, teacher aides and boss won't be too happy with this but it's not my fault.  I'm not putting myself back into a potentially dangerous situation before I'm ready.  In the mean time, I'm sitting at home twiddling my thumbs.  I hope to be able to drive soon.  I'm still looking at another couple of weeks on crutches.  I don't know if my wrists can take it.  There is only so much padding you can put on the handles.....
On the brighter side of things, I don't really need the splint anymore.   ;D  I would like a hinged brace to wear when out and about just to protect me from the idiots out there.  
Did I mention that I want to drive?!?!  
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 09:03:15 AM by sienna »
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2003, 11:06:30 AM »
I had pt again today.
He really hurt me this time.  He finally got my knee to bend to 90 degrees but not without a few tears of pain.  Damn quads just above the knee cap.  It just won't let go. >:( :'(  And there is one other patch of ligament across the knee beside my kneecap that really hurts.  If it wasn't for those two things I be laughing.  My knee is quite willing to bend except for those two spots.  I also have to be careful of some scar tissue forming under one of the incisions.  It is puckering which indicates that it is sticking.  Not good.  We made a deal today.  pt will work on the knee joint itself with massaging which I can't handle (it hurts too much) and I will massage the quads and calf.  I can handle digging my elbow and fist into my quad to massage it.  I will start partial weight bearing on Friday and I hope to try driving next week.  So I have goals to aim for.  Just have to stay on track. :-/
I also managed to keep ice on my knee for the first time today.  ;D  The nerve damage is very slowly desensitising.  Still can't feel the patella tendon directly below my kneecap.  At least now I can ice it to get the swelling down. :)

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2003, 10:02:17 PM »
Sienna-
Ok, I'm back on the boards, but only for short periods of time right now.  I've missed talking with you guys alot.  Funny how that goes, I don't technically "know" ya'll, but I feel as though I was missing some dear friends that I have known for some time?! ;)

Sounds like you are keeping things moving in the right direction with your PT.  I know it gets to you when you seem to hit a "road block", but just keep going the way you are because you are obviously making some really great progress!  I am so proud of you.

You seem to be setting realistic goals for yourself which is a good thing.  Setting goals too high can lead to some major let-downs.  I myself am a very impatient person and normally want big results like- NOW!! :P  I guess that is why I'm having such a hard timed adjusting to all of this "can you carry my purse?", "Oh, do you mind holding that door for me?", "I'm sorry honey, mom can't get down on the floor and play because my knee really hurts right now."  yadda  yadda  yadda :-[

Yes- the driving situation is one of the really bad parts of having your right knee temorarily "out-of-order".  I miss hopping in the car and getting around.

Enough about me though- this is your thread.  Girl- please keep that positive attitude that you seem to have going- it will get you far.  Like I have said many times before- Even the baby steps are a step forward.  I truly hope that you will continue to see improvement every day, and now that you can stand to have ice on that knee of yours, use it.

By the way- how did your first "standing" shower go?  Good I hope, but be very careful though.  If you drop the soap, leave it there!  Even if you haven't finished washing a few body parts- just start with the important one first.  Or here's a thought- you could always get some of that soap on a rope stuff? 8)  I think though that only old spice makes that- how do you feel about smelling like a manly man?

Well, sorry to ramble and say some really stupid things, but I guess it's better to laugh than keep dwelling on the bad stuff.

I'm very happy for you Sienna and hope to keep getting good news from you.  Keep us posted!!  Take care of that knee! ;)

Lezlee

Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2003, 08:26:25 AM »
Hi Lezlee,
This is take 2.  I have had the most trying time trying to get this stinking computer to work.  >:( And now hoepfully I'll get to finish my post.
I like your idea of Old spice soap on a rope.  Thankfully my bath tub is not slippery when wet.  But I'll be careful when showering.
I know how you feel about being impatient. I also want things to happen know and not at their earliest convenience.
I am currently feeling sore and stiff from yesterday's pt.  He finally got it to 90 degrees but not without tears and a lot of fist clenching.  Damn knee won't bend.  Actually it's not the knee itself.  It wants to bend quite happily - it's the quads tendon and a medial ligament over the joint that's holding me up.  Very painful.  :'( >:(  
At least on Friday I'll be starting to do some weight bearing.  I guess that's some progress.  But if I can't get this knee bending then my os will want to operate and make it bend.  I don't want to be anywhere near that road.  :-[
Ao I guess it's lots of pain and little movement and lots of patience of which I am in short supply.  Sorry to be down but I am sooooooo sick of this running my life.   I don't know how long term sufferers cope.  I don't think I would be able to.  
Thanks for making me smile, Lezlee.  ;D

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2003, 05:44:56 PM »
Sienna-
You are more than welcome.  I am happy to help- even if it is only with a little smile here & there.  I tend to be silly sometimes.  I get it from my son.  He has rubbed off on me.  I get the mushy gushy lovey dovey stuff from my daughter as she is the "lover" of the family.  I seem to learn something new from them on a regular basis.

I hope that you won't need surgery to get that knee bending.  Are we talking manipulation under anesthesia, or something more involved?  You seem to be trying so very hard to do your part.  Sounds like you keep on going and work through the pain.

It would be so easy to just give up and stay away from the pain, but you just keep going!  It's ok to cry- sometimes, I find tears tend to help some.

Just think of how far you have come so far.  I never even made it to PT after my first surgery so you are deffinately ahead of my ball game.  I wounder if my new OS will put me in PT this time?  If so, I will be coming to yoou guys for guidance & support.  I've never had to have someone else make my body parts do their thing, so I'm sure I'm gonna have to put on my "good-attitude" outfit that day??!!

Please do not ever apologize for being down- it just means that you are human, and these feelings are only natural when you are having to deal with lifes little (or even big) practical jokes.  Just know that you are doing the right thing.  I have faith in you girl!!

Hugs & many good PT days. And best of luck with your upcoming weight bearing day.  Be careful & let me know how it goes for you!

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2003, 11:20:31 AM »
No tears today!  8)  Mind you he didn't push as much as last time in the sore areas.  He stuck to massaging the ligaments and tendons around the knee.  I made it just passed the infamous 90 degrees!!!! ;D ;D  Boy was it a struggle but I made it.  Now I have to keep it over the weekend.  Has a go just before but only made 80 an a bit but in all fairness I had not done much bending today.  Still recuperating from pt.  He was happy with my progress.  I know I've come a long way, sometimes it's hard to see where you've been to put everything in perspective.  So I'll just keep pladding along.  I am ghost walking on it alot to give my wrists a break.  
Apparently I can officially get rid of the crutches next week.  We'll see how it goes.  I've got some more strengthening exercises to do to build up the quads.  They're looking pretty sorry, so my pt says.  All in good humour.  He's really good.  So lucky to have someone helping me who has been there and done that.  
I'm doing okay all things considered.
I'm glad you're feeling better too.  It helps togo to pt  because if you're anything like me, I'm not very good at self motivation when it comes to inflicting pain on myself.  It's good to have someone to help you along the way.  Go to pt if you can.  Even if you're doing okay yourself, it's good to have someone walking with you.
Well, I'm oof to another movie soon.  Now that I'm more able I can go out and do these things.  Catch up soon.
8)

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2003, 05:41:26 PM »
Sienna-

I had a neighbor whos husband suffered a severe injury and was bed-ridden for a very very long time.  He bgan to slip into a deep depression, so his wife bought him a journal and had him write in it every day.  He bagan with rating his pain on a scale of 1 to 10, and then he would write small bits in it throughout the day about how he was feeling, or any thing he felt was important.  He soon came out of the depression because he was able to look back in the journal, and see (in black & white) the progress he was making.  Before that, like you said, he had nothing to go by to let him know where he was in recovery.

Now- on to PT.  I am ok with working through pain because I am stubborn.  I think that if I was in PT, I might would hold back because of other people being around.  I am ok with crying, but if there is a room full of other people, it would distract me & I might would tend to give up more readily.  Does that make sense to you?  Or am I "bass-akwards"?

You made it past 90 degrees?!! ;DBoy oh boy, I can not wait for the day that I can tell you that I'm able to do that.  I am however, elated that for the first time since August 28th, I am able to straighten that leg out flat!  So, as you are getting your leg to go one way, I'm trying to go the other way.

Are you nervous about ditching the crutches next week?  Although they get in the way, and are a pain to have to deal with, we kind of grow to rely on them.  And about those quads- tell that PT of yours to look at the "good" quads and dream on baby!!! hehe

You know, I have learned a lot about recovery from you Sienna.(as well as many others from the boards)  I think that you have shown me the strength that we all have deep down inside of ourselves.  I'm going to have to remember that when it comes time for me to start the real PT part of recovery.

Have a great weekend- and as always- keep up the good work.  We are proud of you!

Lezlee

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2003, 06:45:24 AM »
Yes I'm nervous about ditching the crutches.  How else am I going to get sympathy when I'm out and about?  ???  Everyone opens and closes the doors and they get out of the way and they carry things for you.  It's great.  
Oh well,  I guess it had to come to an end eventually.  
I don't how I'll go.  I've been ghost walking quite heavily on my other leg for  4 days now but I can only seem to put a certain amount of weight on it then it won't take any more.  I can put my leg in front of me and put almost my whole body weight on it but when I stand feet apart I can only put less than half.  It's really weird.  I've told my pt about it.  He said these things happen.  

Last night I had a scare.  I was in the toilets and I decided to blow my nose and on the way I slipped on some water.  
My crutches are not water proof.  Of course my reaction was to put my sore knee out in front to catch myself.  Ow  :-X  It jarred my knee joint.  I was not happy. I just stood there waiting for the pain and shock to subside.  There was a nice old lady who saw me and she waited to make sure I was okay.  How sweet.  I also had a friend with me.  Thankfully there seems to be no damage done.  but how close was that.  And how NOT ready is my knee for everyday little hitches.  

I am so stiff.  I'll have to do a lot of work today so I can keep that 90 degrees for pt tomorrow.  It's not fair.  I have to get out of bed early tomorrow to make pt.  I will have to get up at 9am. :o  Yes I can hear the incredulous shock over here.  Normally I don't get out of bed until 10.30 - 11am.  Of course that is after doing 20min of exercises in bed.  I am so tired after starting pt.  I don't know how I will cope going back to work.  Especially since it takes forever to do anything with crutches and a knee that won't bend.   :P
Well I hopt his finds everyone in good spirits.   :)

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2003, 05:50:27 PM »
Sienna-

Even I got a twinge of pain in my knee when I read about your "accident" in the bathroom- I guess that might be a little clue that personal hygeine isn't all it's cracked up to be afterall. (joking)

And yes, how can you get people to open doors for you when you aren't in an obvious state of need?  Girl, I know what you mean.  I LOVE buzzing around the stores in that little motorized "buggy" the stores provide.  My husband laughs at me the entire time we are out and I'm "speeding" around in those things.  He calls me the next female drag racer.  I know this really isn't anything to make light about as there are so many people who are dependent on wheelchairs and such permanently, but if I don't make jokes about this- I will really get depressed.  Before all of this knee stuff, I was on the go- constantly.  Now, I can't go anywhere without someone else getting me there.

So, did I understand correctly that you are having PT on a Sunday?  Oh, come on- don't you dserve on day of rest?  I guess not if you want to whip that knee back in to shape.  Look- even when I am "off the crutches, I'm gonna keep them in my car wherever I go- just in case.  I'd hate to think of having to have anyone carry me because my knee decides to rebel.

Let me know how PT goes.  Good luck- and wishes for no tears of pain.  I am really glad that it seems there was no damage done during your slip.  My crutches have done that to me before- and immediately it's like the entire world stops for a moment until you get over the shock.

XOXO
Lezlee

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2003, 06:38:47 AM »
No I'm having pt today, Monday, 20th.  Bit hard to keep track of the whole time thing on opposite sides of the world.
In fact I've just got back and sorry to say but there were tears of pain and frustration.  My knee just won't bend. >:( adjective, adjective, adjective.  It's the quad tendon above the knee and a tendon over the medial side.  The same places every time.  It sucks.   He also had a go at my incisions which unfortuantely are forming scare tissue.  Man he hurt!!!!
Then he says,' okay lift your leg'.  You must be joking after what you've just done.  the messages are all scrambled now.  He just looked at me and laughed.  I was serious.  How else could I describe the feeling of the message not getting through because of the swelling.  I said that it was better than saying that the dog ate my homework.  He just laughed at me more, not in a mean way but at the flimsiness of my excuse.  I'm full of good excuses.  Just ask me.   :)  Well I did manage to send the message through but it was really hard.  Don't you just hate it when you can do the exercise at home relatively comfortably but when it comes time to showing pt you can't do it.! ::)  I'm sure he doesn't believe me.

Oh man I have this itch in the numb area and when I scratch it, it doesn't register that I've scratched it.  So it keeps on itching.  What can I do?   :-/  urgh!

On a worrying point,  along my big scar it used to be really sore to touch on both sides.  Now on the top side nearer to my knee cap, it has gone numb like the nerve damaged area.  My pt said that the nerve damage wouldn't have spread and I didn't press further.  But I know that the feeling has changed.  Have you ever experienced this?  

Well I must say, Lezlee, you have cheered me up again.  Thankyou.  You are a ray of sunshine.
Catchup soon.

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2003, 09:34:15 PM »
You and I are getting really good at keeping up with umpteen posts at the same time! :)

I posted a reply to you in the nerve stretching section.  I think I also posted to you in the growing more & more concerned section too.

So, when I am having Sunday- you are having Monday.  Yes, I am having a hard time keeping up with the time difference.  I think I feel a slight case of jet-lag coming on.

I'm so sorry you had tears of pain & frustration.  It know it has got to be so hard when things don't go the way you feel they should in PT- especially when you can do some of these things at home.  I think your knee is having severe stage fright.  Along with this- you have had some bad PT days, so it is very normal to be apprehensive going back in and this may have something to do with it.

Just know that you can make it through this.  It may not be easy, and it deffinately will not be fun, but when you are able to walk again you will be giving me advice and encouragement.  If I make it to PT soon, then you and I can compare notes and horror stories with each other.  I am really worried about having to start PT.  I have a feeling that at my next visit, my OS is going to say those dreaded words, ...."Time to start some PT."  And I just know that my big sis is gonna be right there with him agreeing the whole way!!  She has a way of doing that to me.

Tanya-  During your next PT, look over onto your right shoulder and you will see the gaurdian angle I'm sending you.  You gotta look hard though because she is kind of shy.....

So, now along with wishes for good knee days- I'm sending wishes for good PT days your way via that little angle.  

Hugs & Hugs
Lezlee

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2003, 06:25:58 AM »
Yes the jet lag is complicated.  Nevermind.  We'll cope.  I'll try to put dates with days to make it easier.
I will look out for that shy guardian angel.  I just might need her.  Does she appear over my left shoulder just in case I get confused?

Don't worry too much about your first pt.  I was sooo stressed but he was really gentle.  I knew that if he was gentle the first time I would cope.  So your pt should be the same.  But after that ..... I don't want to scare you just yet.

I have been walking with a lot of weight on my knee today.  I have kept the crutches with me but hanging them off my arm. I can walk on it for about five steps but it tends to buckle a bit and my whole walking pattern is not correct.  I don't want to start walking with an incorrect pattern for the sake of walking on it.  I want to do a little at a time and do it correctly.  Perfect practise makes perfect.... something but I can't remember the rest of the saying.  It basically means there's no point practising heaps if it's not perfect.  You won't get anywhere in the long run.  That's from my volleyball days.  Oh my coach would be proud....
So it's baby steps for me, literally.  

As for my knee stage fright....  I keep telling myself to show my pt what I can do before he starts massaging but I always forget.  Then it's too late and I have to come up with excuses.  Just quietly, I think my excuse of 'the messages to contract my muscles get lost in the mush of swelling' is perfectly correct.  When you think about it, the main message coming from my knee is PAIN IN A BIG WAY so it's not surprising that it's ignoring everything else.  It's like trying to be heard over shouting.  Anyway it's my story and I'm sticking to it.  8)

We went to the Word cup rugby last night.  I was thinking that it may not be a good idea but when we got there, I caught a lift instead of 100's of stairs.  And they sat us where the wheelies can sit.  So I had plently of room and I could put my leg up.  Pretty good.  And I found that the toilets were of good design. (I can say that I have become a bit of a toilet design expert).  We all have our talents.
So all in all it was a good night.

I'm having a better day today so far.  Will do some exercises when I'm finished here.  It's feeling okay after yesterday's outings.  Bit surprising but I'll take it when it comes.   8)

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2003, 08:37:22 PM »
That little gaurdian angle will be where ever you need her, or, if you'd rather- I could send a strapping young male angle your way.

I used to play volleyball myself & loved it.  Softball was my downfall, or should I say the downfall of my knee.  Both sports are/were/hopefully will be again enjoybale for me.  I also piddled around with soccer (both my kids play) during the spring league.  I ended up being assitant coach and got on that field during practice as much as possible.  

You are taking a great approach to the walking.  I agree- weight bearing walking is great, but if it isn't walking correctly it's not so good.  It could lead to a long-tem bad walking pattern.

When I went in for my first procedure, I stuck a post-it note on my forhead so that there was no way I could forget the information I needed to get before going "on-stage".  I did get some pretty funny looks, but the folks at the medical center know me, so they didn't ask.  It did get a laugh or two- but that's ok.

So, I take it the rugby game went well and was enjoyable for you- that's good.  I had been hoping to get out for a little bit yesterday evening, but hubby dearest had to work late to try and meet a deadline on a new house.  I've mentioned before, but we own a plumbing company-so he makes a lot of sacrifices to keep things running smoothly.  I didn't give him a hassle about it- he is a good guy.

Besides, I had done my knee stuff and was not really happy at the moment.  Details will be in my post-op section when I finish this post.  Not the best news I'm afraid. :-[

Well- you keep on taking those baby steps- it may take a while to get where you're going- but will be sooo worth the trip!

Smiles & good wishes!!
Lezlee

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2003, 12:18:51 PM »
A post it note hey?!
Well not the best today.  One of those depressing days. I'm struggling to keep the two bad things in perspective.  I had a hard time at pt.  (I don't want to scare you).  I did get passed 100 but not without a LOT of pain.  You know that stomach knee bending he gets me to do, I did well by myself.  I got to 90 without help and I could do it 3 times.  then he decided to have a go.  Well I don't have to tell you how much I HATE this exercise.

I had a barny with pt too.  Finally I think he is getting the message.  He does his 'massage' stuff and kills me then he says 'show me your leg lifts.  I just look at him and frown.  Well not today.  I told him that I couldn't do it because I couldn't contract the muscles properly because of the digging around and therefore have lots of trouble and have to struggle to lift my leg.  I said I should do the leg lifts first because I can do heaps at home in bed but always struggle here and you don't believe me that I can do them.  So he said 'alright you can show me first on Friday.'  I said" fine I will.'  He said'okay, good.'  I said, 'I will show you.'  this continued a little longer then he wanted to do the stomach knee bends (I hate this the most  :'( >:( :-[)  And that shut me up pretty quick.  Until I started crying.  I just couldn't help it.  It hurt so much that I wanted to jump.  You know how much that hurt has to be in order to want to reflexively jump.  So I was not a happy camper.  

He also tried this new thing to stimulate my still unfound quad muscle ( the one on the inner side of you leg).  He put the electronic stimulus pads on my muscle so tha it would contract the muscle.  Wow it was  weird.  He wanted me to contract in time with the pulse.  I found that if I didn't keep up it felt like it was pulling my muscle apart longways. So let's just say I kept up.  I found my third quad!  Now I just have to keep it found.  That'll be the hard part trying to keep the nerve pathway open.

So I guess there was some good with the bad.  It's just he finished with the bad.  And that left me drained and frustrated.  And it was all down hill from there.  :'(

After school, a few of us went for coffee.  I had the usual, iced chocolate.  I did need it.

Tommorrow will be a better day.  I think I am slowly getting more motivated to do more exercises.  I'm at the point where I've had enough of it's uncooperative nature and now it's my turn to be in control.  Wish me luck.

PS  I did remember the guardian angel.  Thanks. I needed her.

support