Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ERMI Machine for Scar Tissue  (Read 4981 times)

Offline stacey123

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
ERMI Machine for Scar Tissue
« on: April 16, 2010, 02:31:43 AM »
 Has anyone used an ERMI machine to break up scar tissue? Have you been successful?
12/29/09: Complete tears ACL, PCL, LCL, bucket handle tear of meniscus, post lateral corner damage
1/26/10: Menisectomy, 95% removed

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: ERMI Machine for Scar Tissue
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:31:21 AM »
I havn't hear of them, but it might help me.  How do they work?  Where can you get one?
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline stacey123

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:28:45 AM »
You can find more information on the internet. My dr. has ordered one for me. It is a pressurized type of machine that you put your knee in and crank it until your knee bends to a good stretch, you hold it, then crank it some more. It is supposed to accomplish long intensive stretching in an effort to break up the scar tissue. My dr. said I have a 50/50 chance for me that this machine will work and avoid another surgery. Let's hope so, good luck!
12/29/09: Complete tears ACL, PCL, LCL, bucket handle tear of meniscus, post lateral corner damage

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:39:09 AM »
It sounds a bit like a medieval torture device ;D LOL, but if it means you don't need another surgery then I think it is definately worth it.  I'll be asking about them this week when I see the pt.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline stacey123

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 02:50:56 AM »
Let me know what your pt thinks, maybe they will be in approval of medieval torture. Nothing can be too much worse than when I was going to pt and they would literally strap my leg to the table so I couldn't move, then proceed to crank my knee bent with great force. At least I will have control of the ERMI. Once I get it I will let you know how it goes. I have also been going to a massage therapist who is doing deep tissue work and it really helps.

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 04:42:23 AM »
Hi Stacy

The ERMI is a great machine that provides a passive method to aid working on flexion esp where scar tissue is concerned. Here is their website: www.ermiproducts.com   Dr Noyes uses this machine in his rehab. I have used it many many times and rented one for 3 mos. I liked it so much I wrote about in my blog on the hub. The ERMI doesn't necessarily break scar tissue but provides a consistent gradual stretching of contracted tissues. You are able to control the amount of pressure at the smallest of increments , hold, then advance again. The only way to be successful is to use it at least 4- 6 times a day for 15min each time. You have to look at it like taking a pill ,4-6 times a day. Using it less than that will not produce the results you want. Hopefully when you get your ERMI, the rep will go over all the details. My rep said it was sad when patients did not use it properly which meant not doing the prescribed amount per day, and were wondering why there were no results.

I hope you have visited the arthrofibrosis section of the information hub. Dr Noyes has provided an excellent tutorial on arthrofibrosis aka excessive scar tissue. Make sure you read the other entries in that section, such as the list of journal articles from other AF experts. You will learn a wealth of info on this subject that will help you be an empowered advocate concerning your knee.

DO NOT let anyone tie your leg down or any other way, to forcefully bend your knee. That is the worst thing to be done to a person with scar tissue problems. That causes micro tears to the tissues, setting off an inflammatory process (swelling,increased pain, heat) which promotes the growth of scar tissue. Gentle passive motion and working in a pain free zone, is needed with scar tissue people. Details of this can be found on the hub in the AF section and down on the arthrofibrosis section in the soft tissue group.

Pam
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:38:49 AM by missmyknee »
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline stacey123

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 01:24:45 PM »
Pam,

Thank you for the information. I am eager now to get my ERMI and use it faithfully. I have recently swithced dr.'s and I am now under the care of Dr. Noyes. It is quite a ways for me to travel but I feel it will be well worth it in the end. As your username states, I miss my knee. I have 4 young children, and need to restore my knee to whatever possible. I have certainly learned a lot, no more tying down my leg, I used to question the pt and she said "we need to be aggressive, but it never made sense to me. I am going to listen to my body in the future.

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 06:01:55 PM »
Hi Stacy

I'm glad you are with Dr Noyes. You are in good hands. I hope you've experienced his PT dept. They are first rate. I ,too, see Dr Noyes and have traveled 750 miles /10hrs drive to see him. I will not let any other doc touch my knee. I have gone over 30 times for every appointment, check up , followup and 1 emergency appointment to see him. If you have surgery with him ,you should do everything you can to stay in Cinci for a couple weeks to have his PT dept work with you. It is hard with kids. I have 6, so going out of town for surgeries and appts was quite a logistic feat. It got better the more I went because I was very organized. I even had a very detailed flow chart the kids had to follow and with times of departure and arriving with activities, school, athletics. I also got cell phones for the kids so they could call us and we could check in on them. My married daughter stayed with them. I still get teased over my flow chart. I went to one of those places that make premade homemade frozen dinners, like Super Suppers and put them in the freezer. All they had to do is take it out and put it in the oven. Not only did I have to plan for my kids and the home front, but also plan for the length of time I was going to be in Cinci.

His treatment of AF has been worth the price to travel and get it done right !

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline tec1148

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
I used an ERMI machine for about 4 months and it did a lot more than physical therapy for me.  I wish I still had one.  My scar tissue/adhesions were severe to say the least.  After physical therapy I was only at about 80 degrees and I used the ERMI machine to get to around 100.  Just make certain that you follow the instructions to the letter and I think it will help you.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 10:48:03 PM »
the catching my scar tissue was causing seems to have settled down.  i saw the pt today and he isn't too worried, he said it looks better than it did before but i'm keeping a neye on it  last time I saw the pt he did a friction massage in the area where my plicas had been taken out which you can feel just under the skin.  for a few days it felt great to walk and stand but was sore to the touch.  After that it was OK to touch a bit sore inside and I thought that the massage hadn't done anything but over the alst week it has settled down very well.

Just thought I'd mention it in case its of any use.

Offline stacey123

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 02:30:54 AM »
I am so glad to have some conversation on this post!

Pam,

I am so glad I have found Dr. Noyes and to hear you say it is wel worth the travel. I am definetely planning on staying in Cincinnati, but I would love to hear more about where you stayed. Last time I went I stayed at the Crowne Plaza, but it will become very expensive to stay there for as long as I need to. Do you know of any alternatives? I have 4 boys and I am very fortunate to have a very supportive and helpful family, so I know my children will be well cared for and have decided the time away will be worth it. Maybe some day we will cross each others paths. Thanks for the replies.

Kneescope,

Glad to hear you are having some improvement. I am seeing a massage therapist who is doing a lot of deep tissue work, and he seems to find those spots that hurt, but yet feels so good. He also uses a technique called myfascial release. I really feel this has been beneficial. He can get me to the same ROM as my pt with no pain, I like that! It's nice to hear that a pt will try other methods of massage, stretching to help the patient. Hope things continue to improve. I will let you know how my ERMI goes once I get it, but I have received some positive posts regarding its benefits.