Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Football knee injury please help!  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Murney

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Football knee injury please help!
« on: April 13, 2010, 06:56:53 PM »
5 weeks ago now I twisted my left knee while playing football. I had all my weight on my left leg as my studs were firmly in the ground and then twisted which resulted in a popping noise, lots of pain and unable to walk. I went hospital the next day (as it was mothers day, the day I done it) and they said I had done my MCL.
I was in and out within an hour. I had no x-ray or anything, they offered me pain killers and was told to rest. I was able to walk or should I say hop around 3 days later. After around 3 weeks I just was not happy with my knee and the way I was treated and decided to go to a sports clinic for a 2nd opinion.

They said I havn't done my MCL or ACL as they done the relavent test and said the popping sound could have been my knee going in and out of place. She says my muscles just above my knee (quads?) are damaged. I've been given exercises to do and it is helping slightly but I'm strugling to bend my knee. I'm getting a pain in the back of the knee (outside left) and was wondering if this is normal? I still have a lot of swelling around the knee cap and at the back of the knee.

I thought it could of been a damaged meniscus but my knee does not lock and I can striaghten my leg without no pain at all ( 95% straight ) I think the brusising is limiting the rest.

I hope someone out there knows any more information that can help me in anyway.

Thanks

Offline kneetmare

• Regular Poster
Re: Football knee injury please help!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:17:09 AM »
hey murney

have you googled all your symptoms? was your leg relaxed when they preformed tests at sports clinic? the hospital should of attempted them same tests aswell. where is the swelling, top or lower portion of knee? does your knee feel stable?

how damaged did they say your muscle above the knee is(what part of quads)? how long did they say to preform exercises before your leg would improve? have they made a follow up appointment? they really should have if they gave you exercises to do.

it could be anything so i wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting anything as im not in the medical profession, but if the exercises you have been given aren't doing anything get onto your GP or go back to that sports clinic / hospital and demand answers. first/second diagnoses aren't always correct . im not saying yours is/isnt but if it doesn't feel right push for more answers. i doubt you would have came to this site if you did not believe something was wrong.

good luck

Offline Murney

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:54:18 PM »
Having been to another physio I have now found out that it's my menicus that's damaged. I've had no scan so don't have much detail on this.
Basically they are telling me to strenghing the knee etc and I can bend my knee to around 120 degress (i think) but I still feel as I am not getting nowhere. Theres been a couple of times now that I've managed to knock my knee by bending to much which leaves it swollen for around a week and then improves slightly then happens again. This has been the case now for around 3 months and I in the back of my mind I think that this will not heal without surgery.

What can I do ?

Offline mouk786

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 12:38:16 AM »
You can try and have the op to have parts of the damaged meniscus taken out (if its torn)

get the physio to refer you for an MRI via your NHS GP.

Alternativley you can pay to see a surgeon privatley for a quicker opinion and then try and get put onto their NHS waiting list (though not all allow this

what i did was

saw my private physio
he reffered me for an MRI which i paid about 180 for
I then took the results to the surgeon (paid another 160) who confirmed my problem and put me on his nhs waiting list

the advantage that i got for the ebst part of 400 expensditure was that i knew exactly what was wrong with my knee and i was getting surgery in the period of about 2 weeks so it can be better than waiting 8 weeks for an NHS MRI. it wont encessarily get you a quicker NHS op tho.

Offline Miko1806

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 11:23:16 AM »
Hi,
I did exactly the same injury 15 years ago and had a small tear in my medial meniscus which was repaired.
6 years ago I badly twisted my knee again playing indoor footy whilst standing on my left leg and trying to volley a crossed ball - did my medial ligament that time. 4 years ago I actually dislocated my knee doing a throw in - don't ask, I don't know how i did it either! That time i did a massive bucket handle tear in the medial meniscus and had to have the soft part removed totally leaving just the hard rim.
My knee has been getting better although i cant play footy anymore and I had no further problems other than some instability due to nerve damage from the operations.
The problem for me was that 3 months ago I stepped off a ladder thinking I was on the bottom rung but actually 3 rungs up. I have posted this about a week ago so look at that thread for the gruesome details.
The reason I am replying to you is that once you damage your knee its very very hard to get the full strength and ability back. I damaged my knee 15 years ago when I was 27. I am now 42 years old and really suffering for it. My advice at the time from my consultant was to stop playing footy, I ignored him and now I have multiple problems and will likely need another op to sort out my cruciates and have probably damaged both menisci.
I know its really hard to stop playing and I am the worse person to preach but really think about picking up your boots again unless you can get 100% assurance that its all OK.

Good luck!