Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Second referral to an orthopaedic consultant  (Read 7253 times)

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Second referral to an orthopaedic consultant
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »
 :o  Oh noo, I know how horrible that is, remember doing it myself!  How are you feeling today?
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline Roberts

• Regular Poster
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2010, 09:35:03 PM »
hi annie :) my knee was starting to feel good this morning, & I started using just one crutch, but.....I had my knee out straight in front of me this afternoon & wanted to get up, so I bent my knee up bringing my heel towards me & got a massive sharp pain in my knee, now it feels sore & I cant do the exercises :(
I could bend my knee just past 90 degrees before I hurt it tho, is that about the right flexibility I should have so far?
I'm going to buy some more codeine/paracetamol tablets tomoro as I ran out today & think they must have been helping mask some pain
9/05 Tore calf muscle, wouldn't heal, led to bad limping, led to painful opposite hip, weakened hip, led to weakened quads
7/07 Quad tendonitis, knee pain and swelling after 1 legged squats
6/10 Arthroscopy! Smooved cartilage, now have LOTS of strengthening to do

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 01:12:35 PM »
Congrats on being on the other side of your surgery I hope the pain you are havng  improves soon, I think from what I have learned on the site, its important to listen to your body, as everyone heals at different rates than others and I dont think there is ever 2 surgeries excactly the same.
have you had a full report from the Doc's yet or will that not be untill your post op appointment?
take care and take it easy Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Roberts

• Regular Poster
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 05:04:15 PM »
Thank you Tez :)
I think I have to keep remembering that I have very weak muscles now and so I will take longer to get back walking properly.
I am just pulling myself back out of a deep hole of misery I fell into yesterday, my knee was really sore after doing exercises and it was hot like it used to get before the op when I had over done it. This made me feel like I'm going to be back to how I was before the op. But I guess my knee went bad becasue I had really weak muscles so its not going to improve until I build the muscles back up.

Strangely I was on a real high the day before because I was doing the 1st exercise I was told to do where you have your leg out in front of you and just contract the quads, pushing the knee into the ground and toes towards you, before when I was doing this I found my quads weren't hardly contracting, I realised that I was contracting my glutes aswell, so I focussed on just trying to contract my quads and relax my glutes and slowly I could feel my quads working better - I assume this is them becoming activated or being engaged?! Anyway when I stood up after this I found I was able to put weight through my bad leg better as the quads were holding my knee. This made me excited, but then yeah it got all bad the next 2 days, so the excitement was shortlived.
I think it got bad because I then kept trying to stand on the leg and it was too much too soon. I also was trying the 2nd exercise where you put something under your knee and try to lift the foot up, I managed a few of these but then it hurt in my knee (I then tried it a few more times and hurt it again!) All in all it was obviously too much.

Its very frustrating!

My post op appointment is 8 weeks after the operation! I'll be told more then I assume.
9/05 Tore calf muscle, wouldn't heal, led to bad limping, led to painful opposite hip, weakened hip, led to weakened quads

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 07:15:21 PM »
Well done you for doing the towel under knee thingy, it took me ageeees to be able to do that so you're doing well.  Just keep at it and things will get better  ;)  Make sure youre taking your pain meds before you do the exercises.

Annie  ;D
Hypermobile

Offline Redwing

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2010, 06:51:13 PM »
How are you getting on Annie?  Good, I hope.   And how did you find The Horder Centre?
2001: first referral to OS for osteoarthritis in knees after about 5 years of OA pain.  Told I was too young for knee replacement.
July 2009 Bilateral arthroscopy
Jan 2010 TKR-right knee

Offline Roberts

• Regular Poster
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2010, 11:45:38 PM »
Hi  :)
I'm making slow progress, I am finally walking without crutches and now just use them when I'm out and about as I walk really slow so far. I can't contract my quads properly without pain under my knee cap. I think I'll try and find a physio tomorrow for some help.

The Horder Centre was pretty good I think, I wasn't really sure what to expect as I'd never been in hospital properly before  :)

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2010, 12:07:18 PM »
Hooray, that's fantastic news that your off the crutches..I'm only just off mine now and that took 6 MONTHS!  Just make sure when you're walking you concentrate on your gait and try and walk as 'normally' as possible and don't worry about how slow you are because you'll get quicker in time.  Are you using an exercise bike at all?  That really helped me get my strength back.  Don't forget to do exercises for your hamstrings glutes and calves too!  ;D
Hypermobile

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2010, 12:23:06 PM »
Hey there I was wondering how things were going for you, great news being off the crutches, now that I have had my op and am having to use them they are such a pain :o to be honest I didnt realise how hard going it would be on them here's hopeing I also get off them soon.
I think you should get yourself a good physio from what I have learned it is so important to have someone overseeing your rehab to make sure all that you are doing to get stronger is going in the right direction, before I started going to my private physio I thought the excersises I was doing were the best thing for me, but after Paul [physio] watched me he could pinpoint things I was doing that aggrivated my knee.
Keep up the good work and take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

support