Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Second referral to an orthopaedic consultant  (Read 7249 times)

Offline Roberts

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Second referral to an orthopaedic consultant
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 10:16:17 AM »
Thanks Lottie  :) Thats much easier to understand. I guess I won't worry about it and just wait and see what happens. I assume the OS will do what he thinks is best for me with whatever he finds. I doubt I'll get to speak to him again. Maybe I'll find out more when someone rings me on saturday.
9/05 Tore calf muscle, wouldn't heal, led to bad limping, led to painful opposite hip, weakened hip, led to weakened quads
7/07 Quad tendonitis, knee pain and swelling after 1 legged squats
6/10 Arthroscopy! Smooved cartilage, now have LOTS of strengthening to do

Offline Roberts

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 11:17:35 AM »
Hmm is it right that I've been given no extra information?! I received a letter in the post the other day saying to ring the day before my op (week tues) to find out when to start fasting and what time my op will be but no other information. I feel like I'm heading into the unknown.
I rang the hopsital to find out how long I might be off work and the nurse didn't know but said when she had it done she was off for 3 weeks! Information I need to know really as I have to plan time off work.

So, it seems I'm down to researching on the internet and again requesting help from you guys please :)

I just want to make sure I am doing everything right so that I have the highest chance of having a healthy knee again.
9/05 Tore calf muscle, wouldn't heal, led to bad limping, led to painful opposite hip, weakened hip, led to weakened quads

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 11:53:35 AM »
Hi Anna,

Oooh your scope is coming up quite soon isn't it. When I went in for mine I don't think I had much info although I vaguely remember them giving me some paperwork when I had my pre-op assessment with details of what was going to happen and when.  Have you had your pre-op yet? If you have and don't have any more info I'd write out a list of questions and ring that number-one thing the NHS are rubbish about is being pro-active so I'd suggest you don't wait for them to tell you and instead ask them first to put your mind at ease.  Just ring up and say you're worried and would like to talk to someone about it and I'm sure they'll be obliging-they must get it all the time.

I'd imagine it's impossible to say how long you'll be off work for because it depends on your job so they won't speculate as a matter of course.  They said I'd be driving 2 weeks post scope but I think it was more like a month so it just depends on the person. If you're in an office job I reckon 2 or 3 weeks is about right although I was speaking to an instructor at my gym the other day who had a scope 3 weeks ago and he was walking round like nothing had happened!

Annie.

P.S. I know you're worried but please don't be-this could be the beginning of the end for all of your problems!
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 12:19:40 PM »
good luck for your scope I hope it goes well... I think that because they dont know what they will find its hard to say exactly how long you'll be off work for, When I had my scope I was told 2 weeks but ended up being off for 4 weeks due to what was done and the fact that I stand all day at work, so even if they gave you a time scale for getting back to work it might not work out anyway, As for any other questions you have Annie is right phone the hospital or your surgeons secretarty and ask away I'm sure your not the first or the last patient who wants to know more about there op before surgery.
Because its now getting closer and closer its this time you start freaking out a bit, but trust me it will be fine and at the end of the day this whole knee problem has been going on for so long that its deffo time to get to the bottom of what is wrong with you knee
Take care and I look forward to hearing how it goes
Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 04:10:27 PM »
Hi Anna

I think it will depend on what the OS finds and what he does. As a bare minimum I would anticipate being off work for 2 weeks at least. In reality, it may be longer. Remember that if he does find a chondral flap and does any form of microfracture you could be non weight bearing for several weeks. It might be worth speaking to someone about this possibility as it changes the dimension of your rehab and dependence on others a bit. Even with a simple scope, tidy up, meniscus trim and wash out of junk you'll be sore and I'd expect you not to feel like going to work for a fortnight or so. It is true that some folks seem to bounce out of surgery but they are strange - most people need a few days to start feeling normal! My trainer had a scope on a Tuesday, meniscus trim and wash out  - and played football on Friday - but he is an insane and slightly stupid hero.  ::) :o

Don't worry too much if youcan help it, it is normal to be terrified. My knees are calm at the moment (relatively!) and responding to some PT, but I am facing forefoot surgery in the next month and then 5 weeks in a sexy post op sandal and no driving as its my right foot. I am really scared about it - not about the pain, but about not being to get about and possibly making things worse.....all normal fears I think for surgery!

good luck and keep us posted - start a Post Op diary, we're a mad bunch and like to chat!!

xxx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Roberts

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 11:41:24 PM »
Hi everyone  :)

Ah ok, I've arranged cover at work for 1 week & said it may be more! Luckily its a family business so it shouldn't matter too much if I'm off longer Id planned.
I think that is one of my biggest fears too, making things worse, I'd hate for my knee to get worse, especially if it was something I could have controlled.
I've found this website has quite a bit of info on what I have to do after the op, very useful. And another website said about why I have to fast, and how long for, to wear comfortable clothing to the hospital, wear no jewellery, take no valuables, wearing a hospital gown. Strangely its silly things like this that I wanted to know, I guess its the knowing exactly what's going to happen which makes me feel less nervous.

I had my pre-op assessment a few weeks ago, a grumpy nurse rang and quizzed me about my health, I was on antibiotics for a uti so she gave me strict instructions to take a urine sample to the drs and that she'd put me on hold until that was all clear. It was only after the phonecall that I realised I hadn't asked any questions but I didn't dare ring her back, she as a dragon!!

A post op diary sounds a good idea, I think I just might do that  :)

So 1 week left to wait!!!!

Offline Roberts

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »
I've survived!  ;D
Feeling groggy & a bit of pain in the knee.
I'm confused about how much exercise I should be doing, and icing.
I've tried to find out on the internet but I don't quite feel with it, maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2010, 09:35:50 PM »
Yay, glad you survived!!

General rule - elevate as much as you can (knee above heart if possible) and ice regularly (don't freeze your knee off, but 20 mins every hour is fine, make sure the ice is wrapped if you're using peas or something!).

Exercise - depends what they've done, are you on crutches, any protected weight bearing etc? Again - general rules are to try and contract the quads if you can, just to get then firing and then take advice from your treating OS or physio as to other stuff to start like single leg raises, etc etc.

Tonight - sleeeeeeep!!  ;D

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 11:55:09 PM »
Yay Anna, you did it!   ;D

As Lottie says, elevate and ice about once an hour, when you're not try and do ankle pumps and contract your quads.  Are you seeing a physio?  Do you know what they found or what they did?  So pleased you went through with it all...you should be very proud of yourself!  :D

Annie
Hypermobile

Offline Roberts

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 02:30:51 PM »
Eurgh I'm just starting to feel better from an upset stomach last night, I assume from the diclofenac. Been sipping water this morning & avoiding pain meds but then my knee started to hurt so I've taken the codeine/paracetamol tablets with a bit of milk & so far I feel alright. Maybe I can eat later :D

Ive been icing a bit but it doesnt seem to get through my bandage as its quite thick. Ive had my leg up a lot, but not always above the level of my heart. Its hard to tell how its doing as its covered in a bandage but I assume my leg either side of the bandage would look swollen if my knee was?

The surgeon said he shaved the cartilage under my knee cap to make it smooth & I should now have a healthy knee :)
I've been told I can walk on it if it doesnt hurt but been given crutches to help initially. I'm using the crutches as the knee feels sore & weak to walk on & I cant bend it because of the bandage.
Ive been given an exercise sheet but no physio. 1st I have to have leg straigt out in front of me, bring toes towards me & contract quads so my knee pushes down & hold for 5 secs, 10 time. This morning I did 8 of these & then it hurt so I quickly stopped - is that right? How soon should I try again?
My 2nd exercise is to have a kitchen roll under my knee & then try to lift my foot up & hold for 5 secs - I cant really do this yet.

Sorry to babble on. I was really positive staright after the op but now I feel a bit lost.

Thank you for your help again, its really good to have your support and encouragement when Im feeling lost & down :)

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 08:32:39 PM »
Oooh that's great if all it needed was a bit of a tidy up and trim, let's hope this is the end of your problems!  ;D

I forgot about your bandage so yeah icing probably isn't necessary (or possible)!  In fact I had an arthroscopy last year and I didn't ice mine then at all, nor did I raise it above heart level and this website wasn't even in my radar at the time! 

Don't feel lost, follow the exercises on the sheet, it should say how many times you should be doing them, I'd imagine about 3 times a day although I think you should try and do ankle pumps every hour to avoid the risk of getting DVT (my ex had a foot arthroscopy a month ago and he didn't do any exercises to assist circulation and now he's been told he has DVT  :-\

Your body will tell you when you are able to do things, don't push yourself, I went to to a 'taste festival' 3 days after my arthroscopy last year and paid the price-My knee was very sore afterwards.

You might still feel a bit sick because of the anaesthetic-it can affect you for quite a while afterwards although I'm sure the diflonac isn't helping.

Don't worry about babbling, we all love a babble!  I went clothes shopping on my own today for the first time in FIVE MONTHS which I'm very proud of!  I'm knackered and I nearly killed a few people but I feel great (hence my own babbling)!!

Annie  :D
Hypermobile

Offline jg5118

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 09:32:10 PM »
Sounds exactly what I had - shaving of the cartilage at the back of the patellar - well the good news is that 6 weeks later today I had a follow up appointment with my consultant said he doesn't want to see me for another few years (only cos I've seen him 3 years ago with other knee problems)

I found the most difficult thing was walking downstairs - which can be tricky if you live in a first floor flat like me...  take baby steps down the stairs - going up to heaven (good leg first) and going down to hell (bad leg first). 

Try to get around the house without crutches if you can and if when you are out, use them as a safety blanket.  I had my dressing fully reduced at the hospital so I just had three plasters on the arthroscopy ports - it's worth finding out when you can reduce the dressing as that will make your movement a lot easier, especially with the exercises.  Like you I just got given a sheet with exercises on, but I did get 8 exercises on there - straight leg raises, pulling the toes towards your knee cap, sit on a chair and bend your leg underneath you and lie on the bed and bring your heel to your bum... 

I also found that after about a week, having got fed up of getting my waterproof dressings soaked in the shower and they did leak, I managed to be able to sit in a bath instead - it was so much more relaxing and I also think that helped with the healing process as I was more comfortable with not having to stand in a shower and I could bend my knee sufficiently to keep it out the water which I couldn't do in a shower.

I did overdo it when I first went back to work just under two weeks after surgery, and went back on my crutches if I went out after work - didn't need them at work as not much of a journey and once at my desk I could stay there most of the day - doing straight leg raises under my desk.

Take it easy, let everyone look afer you and it will all be fine. 

Offline Roberts

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2010, 06:33:14 PM »
I can't walk without the crutches! Should I be? The nurse said I'll probably chuck them away after the 1st day but I'm really struggling. I keep getting a sharp pain right in my knee which sets off my nausea and makes me feel faint, its not fun.

Also I took off my bandage today as its been 72 hours and my knee looks quite good, a bit swollen, but when I get up to wander around my foot turns purple really quickly, is this normal?

I took a travel sickness tablet earlier which helped a lot but I think its starting to wear off now.

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 07:23:33 PM »
Took me a week to get off the crutches after my arthroscopy and they only had a look around so I'd say it's fine.  It's better to get off them asap so you're using your muscles though.

Don't know about purple foot, keep moving your foot and ankle round when you're sitting though.
Hypermobile

Offline Roberts

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2010, 01:55:41 AM »
ok thanks annie :)
I just attempted to turn on my side in bed, lifted my good foot over my bad leg & knocked my heel into one of the dressings - unbelievable pain! No wonder Ive been feeling sick.

Cant quite get back to sleep yet, Ive traumatised myself!

support