Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: permanent loss of function??  (Read 824 times)

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
permanent loss of function??
« on: September 28, 2003, 05:30:53 AM »
Has anyone here found that even 2 1/2 years after their procedures (1 meniscal reattachment and 2 partial meniscectomies for me), they cannot kneel or squat?

I had the first 2 procedures 11weeks apart in 2001, and the last procedure this past Jan, yet no matter what I try, my knee cannot take the pressure of me kneeling on it (in the upright position, not sitting back), or trying to squat. If I try to kneel on something extremely soft, like my bed, even that hurts! :( If I force myself to stay kneeling, and try to rock back onto my heels, the pain is excruciating after a couple seconds.

Could this be just because I have no meniscus in the back of the joint? There is only about 25% meniscus on the affected side, and what is there is in the front of the knee. Is it possible that the changes in the joint dynamics are responsible? I'd like to get the kneeling ability back, but after all this time, have pretty much resigned myself to having permanent disability in this respect.

I'd really like to know if anyone here has had similar problems, and if they had any success in regaining function.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
Re: permanent loss of function??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 10:47:54 AM »
dm,
I hear you.  I have not been able to squat for a year now. When I tried it was so painful that a reflex action would cause me to jump up which was not always possible due to weakening muscles.  I was diagnosed as having a tear in the rk posterior meniscus.   I have just had this fixed (hopefully) 3 weeks ago.   I still have another week and a half with the leg splint on.  I haven't been given favourable odds for this repairing because of the low blood supply to the area.  I, too, wonder whether this will be a permanent loss of function.
Hopefully, for the both of us, it won't be.
Best wishes.
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

support