Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain on walking  (Read 946 times)

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
Pain on walking
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:06:42 PM »
To cut a long story short, I came off my bike onto concrete last September, damaged my left knee, tearing my lateral meniscus, had an osteochondral lesion on my lateral femoral condyle and extensive bone bruising in the lateral condyle too :( 

Scope done about 8 weeks ago, partial meniscectomy (around 10-15%) and lateral facet of patella shaved as grade III damage discovered.  The OC lesion had healed over with fibrocartilage so was left in peace.

I have been back in the gym for around 5 weeks - 3-5 times a week (rowing - 5-10 mins, cycling - 20 mins, stepper - 10 mins, leg presses) and I am back on the bike (on road), but no more than around five miles at a time so far.

Generally, the knee has been ok, bit twingy.  I can feel the gym stuff through it, but not too bad.  I will confess that I am not really doing the PT exercises at home, nor icing after exercise any more!

I am however, getting quite a lot of discomfort down the lateral side below the knee when walking - this may still be the bone brusing - I was told 3-6 months to heal is quite normal, but could be a year or more :(  I tried a very gentle jog on the treadmill the other day (about 45 seconds on 6.5kmh, so hardly fast walk) and had a twinge with every step.

My question is whether there is anything else I can do to improve weight bearing / walking (now more or less limp free which is a good thing), other than work on quad strength and just wait for the wretched bone bruise to finally go?   ???
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: Pain on walking
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »
I can only repeat what my PT used to say to me - Posture, Posture, Posture.
When you are walking correctly, with your back straight, head high your body automatically distributes your weight approporiately to work your muscles in the most effecient manner.  I found that even though I thought I was walking correctly I was still favoring my "bad" leg, causing strain and keeping me from rebuilding my quads completely.  Also it may not be your quads, it may be your hip adductors (or is it abductors?  I get them confused) that are not carrying their load.  I did a lot of side kicks with a theraband for these.
Does your gym do gait assessment?  If not can you have someone watch you walk (both away and towards them) and see if they can see something amiss?  My PT uses a Wii balance board to help you learn to distribute your weight properly.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 05:33:07 PM »
I'm not so sure about my own gait but the physio and the podiatrist (excuse spelling, i mean someone who deals with feet not children) both said there was nothing wrong with my gait even though I thought I was still favouring the operated leg.  I had some new orthotic innersoles made and they realy do a good job.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:27:01 PM »
Thanks both.  I am aware that I am still not walking quite right, limping a little, especially once I have walked a little way - I didn't have any knee issues before the accident (as far as I am aware).

I am still unable to consistently fully flatten my knee to the ground if I sit on the floor, I can very gingerly kneel on it as long as the other knee takes more of the pressure - kneeling on just the bad one is a complete no no!  I also cannot sit back on my heels nor to a standing quads stretch.  SLRs and wall slides are ok, but not compformtable to straighten it while standing and put weight through.

I can cycle ok at a decent speed  - I did 2 lots of 8 miles yesterday, 10 on Saturday and will do 2 x 4 miles or so today (as I rode to work).  Gym as before - I am now rowing 2k in sub 9m30 (best is 9m11) but still probably relying more on arms than I should.

Knee is still a bit swollen (especially around the lateral portal), and there is some kneecap definition (even if the knee does look a bit bruised, battered and dented)! Arthroscopy was 10 weeks ago today.

I am going to make another appointment with the physio I think (as my private health company signed off a bunch of post-op sessions that I haven't used).  I do feel fitter and stronger leg wise, just all the above niggles are frustrating!  I have also lost 16lbs post op and am still dieting (have another 25lbs or so to go ideally)...
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support