Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: The other knee  (Read 7012 times)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: The other knee
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »
Both of my knees click - they clicked worse when my muscles got really weak. The more I do, the better the clicking gets but the crunching will remain as the cartilage is too rough and bitty not to make a noise when the kneecap moves. I suspect even if my kneecap were suddenly perfectly aligned I would have some crunching.

OA is basically just your cartilage being worn. It isn't a death sentence and it doesn't mean your knee has suddenly worn out. When I say lunges/squats etc are hard on the knees, I don't mean they don't have their place. After all, they are life functional movements. It depends on your level of wear, defect location, mechanical structures etc.

There have been links that clean out/scrape scopes don't do much for simple early OA - in fact they can hasten the development. Its a moot point. Personally, unless someone was going into my knee to DO something I needed per se (microfracture, OATS, lateral release etc) i wouldn't be rushing to get some tubes inserted and then rehabing all over again. It sounds like you have simple overuse.

Positive mindset is essential with knees. Dare I say - avoid all knee related websites for a while, get out, have fun, remember you are more than two knees.... 8)

Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »
I know, I've got to be more psitive but it seems every time things look up they just go bad again.

I'm sure all that fluid on the knee from the scope isn't good for the cartliage so a scope isn't always the thing to do, but if it was reccommended then I'd go for it.  If I can get rid of the rice cispies and get a nice smooth knee then surely things will work better for a time with no catching and bits floating around.  I shoudl have asked for an x ray, that would show where the patella is and how much joint space there is.  Like I said I wouldn't be surprised if I am told I have OA and I'll try not to get too upset but there are so many people on this forum who have had tracking problems and overuse injuries who havn't got OA, so it seems silly to assume that I have it now just becasue the knee is showing a few similar symptoms.  The odd click doesn't bother me and I can put up with other noises as long as the knee seems to move properly.

I still have to find get the opinion of the pt and os.  No OS will just do a scope for the sake of it.  With my right knee, no-one had a clue what was going on with it, but the OS did some examinations and said he thought I might be a candidate for mfx.  You can image my relief that I only needed chrondoplasty.  I think he also suspected a small meniscal tear.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Bazzak

• Regular Poster
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2010, 06:00:15 PM »
Yeah m8 my left (non aclR) clicked and was catching when i walked

it was obvious when i got up from sitting and began walking , i would flick my knee from side to side and i clicked into place.

this would happen countless times a day

When i was cycling , the knee would heat up & swell after the ride and put me out of action

I started VMO exercises, Ankle weights leg over foam roller and extened squeezing

Squats lunges etc. I bike on the turbo trainer due to aclr on right however the left doesnt annoy me

the clicking on the left has lessened

my ortho told me is PF pain and inflamation of the fatpad, he told me to work the leg hard and it will improve
I have been there with the whole "why me" " my knees are screwed"

if you are beat mentally before you have even tried to work the leg...your beat full stop

cheers

b

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »
I never said I was beaten.  The whole time I've done exactly as the pt and os have told me and I will continue.  I'm a bit down but I'm not out.

I'm glad you got rid of a lot of clicking, that gives me more hope that I can lesten the nasty sounds in the left and get it moving smoother.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline Bazzak

• Regular Poster
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2010, 12:37:35 AM »
i was doing the whole motovation thing there  ;D

damn never worked haha

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2010, 09:48:35 AM »
After surgery my knee got very red a couple of times and hot as an oven.  I had a swab taken from the scares to check for infection and it came back negative, the redness and burning stopped long ago though in that knee.  Can a non-operated knee get an infection?

Could I have gout?
How long do OA flare ups usually last?  How long between flare ups?
It didn't get nearly as bad lalst night, is that a sign thate it is going for now?
The weather doesn't seem to be affecting it, is that a good sign?

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2010, 01:47:12 PM »
Just seen the pt.  I've had some ultrasound on both knees, which makes it feel a lot better.  e's not too worried about the noises and say's it is a bit off track.  He thought that when I kind of half skidded half hopped accross the floor a couple of weeks ago, I must have overloaded the joint and that the symptoms are the body's way of keeping it safe.  He said to carry on resting and use a few dips and slrs to maintain the vmo and see how it is in a week's time.  He also said it looked like I was past the worst of it.  it hasn't been as hot and since Saturday, but has still been painful.  He showed me how to walk on crutches and said I should use them for a week to help take some weight off.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2010, 11:42:11 AM »
It still hurts terribly and it's really difficult to get comfortable.  It hasn't been getting nearly as hot.  Pt said to let him know next week if things don't improve.  He did all the usual tests and didn't find anything apart from that it isn't tracking properly but he said teh tracking wasn't that bad, not bad enough to need taping.  I'm definatly reminded of the 18 months being told there wasn't anything wrong with me before I saw an OS.  I'd like to make an appointment to see one in a couple of weeks if things don't improve except I've got an mri to wait for and I won't even get to make an appointment for at least another 5 weeks.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2010, 11:35:49 AM »
I take back what I said about the MRi taking months on the NHS.  I just got my letter from raidiology this morning and made an appointment for the scan on Monday.  That is within two weeks of seeing the GP, not bad for the NHS, not too bad for Private even.  Just a couple more weeks until I get the result and then I'll have a better diea what is going on (though not much better).

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2010, 10:56:12 AM »
Well I'm not in too much pain with the left knee at the moment but it is doing the crunching and grinding noises so I expect the cartliage is pretty rough, there is stil some pain but it is more tolerable at the moment.  I'm hoping to get the mri result this week and I'm expecting a diagnosis of OA to be made.

One thing though that puzzles me; sometimes I don't like to have any pressure on my knee when my leg is straight.  I t doesn't happen all the time and it never happened in the operated leg.  What dos this mean?

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 08:54:27 PM »
got the results last week and they didn't show anything wrong but there is something wrong or otherwise I wouldn't have pain.  The pain hasn't been too bad lately and I will try to get on with things a best I can and try to enjoy the weather.  I'm glad it didn't show anything alarming but at the same time I can see histoery repeating itself and leading me to have another scope, which I really don't think I could handle.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2011, 03:12:03 PM »
Well, I think I know what was causing the problem.

It was Lunges.

I havn't been doing them for a while and that knee has been good, very good infact since Christmas.

I saw the pt to get my ligaments looked at last week and both knees have OK ligaments except for the usual acl laxity which I knew about anyway.

He gave me lunges to do, which he said I was to work back into my regime and I did and no my left leg is getting painful again.

My left leg first flared up soon after I was given lunges.

I'e learn't my lesson; stay away from lunges.

Now I know and knowing is half the battle.

Offline mamalama

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »
I have the same problem... injury 4-10, and 3 surgeries later with a PFR in left knee , the right knee would start barking from time to time.  pain and noise worsening. stability gone.  finally got courage enough to ask OS if it may be related.  Sure and he figures that the last 11 months of compensating for the left (bad) knee it is starting to fall apart.  MRI shows severe cartilage loss... so I would get your OS to take a peek.  Good Luck..

MAMALAMA

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »
Well I'm going to rest it (again) and I'm not doing any more lunges ever and hopefully it will start to feel better.

support