Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: The other knee  (Read 7008 times)

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
The other knee
« on: April 05, 2010, 05:24:56 PM »
IS it common for patients with knee issues in one knee to develop problems in the other because of overcompensating.  Before surgery my left knee had to do a lot of work and would complain, but never too loud and when I had pt and got my right knee tracking it got me walking more evenly and the other knee wasn't too bad.  The problem came after surgery when my right knee was operated on and my left was complaining louder and louder.  Before xmas it wasn't too bad but in that last couple of months it is screaming at me.  It makes some really nasty noises and I think it will need a scope and at least a clean up but the right knee will suffer and I'll end up with two complaining knees.  Plus if I get my right acl reconstructed it could totally finish off my left knee and I'm afraid that it will become arthritic as a result.

Also, I found that the left complained less when it had more to do but when the right took over it and it wasn't relied on as heavily, it started complaining louder and louder.  I do get some respite from this when both knees feel reasonably well.  The pt isn't worried about my left knee, he just say's keep on wit the exercises and they will both be fine, but I  think something is going to have to be done.  Have people here found that the other leg sorts itself out or just gets worse.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
Re: The other knee
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 09:23:44 PM »
I totally think it is very common for that to happen. I spent 8 years with my right leg taking up the slack for my left after my left knee was operated on in '99. To this day my left quad is smaller than the right even though i had the right one operated on for a much more serious problem last year and went through a much longer recovery. I'm convinced that the right knee taking so much extra burden for all that time is what caused the cartilage damage i suffered from.
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:50:18 AM »
i am dealing with the same thing. Had surgery on the left knee in december, which is a 6 to 9 month recovery, and was on crutches for two weeks, and now everything on the right side is falling apart. I now have right knee pain, plus I just had to have a cortisone shot in my right hip, it is a never ending battle :(   i am really worried because i have to have another surgery next week to remove a piece of cartilage that has lodged its way into the joint of the left knee  >:(   Kim
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 05:42:24 AM »
I've been in the same situation. Blew out the right knee, spent years compensating, ended up with arthritis in the left knee. After a period of physio to treat all the various problems I had, both knees were doing better when I blew out the left knee skiing (complete ACL tear) and now the right knee is exhibiting all the PFS symptoms I'd worked so hard to eliminate! It's a balancing act; the good leg will always end up doing a bunch of extra work to compensate for the bad leg. Doesn't make it any less frustrating or worrying when the overuse symptoms start taking their toll, however. :(
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 11:41:39 AM »
The pts have never taken it seriously.  They just say that it will come right when I get my right knee sorted out and that the k=noises the knee makes are not really an indication that the knee is all that bad, but this doesn't feel right at all. It also sems that when the right leg has been really bad the left has behaved but I think that is because at those times it really had to.  If it didn't I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.  i think a scope to clean it up would probably really help but I'd be undoing all the good work I've done on my right leg.  I think if I got an aclr on the right knee I would need a cortisone shot in the left, I'm not keen on cortisone but it might be the right thing under the circumstances.  Without an aclr I;m worried I'll alway's rely on the left leg.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »
I have problems with both knees, my right knee that had the surgery last November is worse of then it was pe op and my left knee maltracks more then my right knee and been told by my physio could cause problems if I start returning to jogging again which will not happen for some time. I never had a MRI scan on my left knee and can accept my left knee for now and hope iot does not become worse over the next couple of years.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 07:44:55 PM »
My left knee had never really bothered me, my main problem was with my right knee after I twisted it but in the end I had underlying problems with my knees anyway.

But 6 years down the line and my left knee had become had as bad as my right knee prior to my TTT surgery, I have since had the TTT surgery on my left knee and it seems to have done the trick, so far anyway.

I do wonder though if I had never twisted my right knee and tore the cartilage whether none of this would have started.

I do personally think that it seems if you have long term problems with one knee its likely you end up with problems with the other eventually.
November 2005 - Arthroscopy RK.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
RK Subluxation. Back to physio.
October 2008 -
Put on waiting list for TTT/LR.
Told I have Hypermobile joints.
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
OS agreed removal of screws
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 03:17:45 PM »
I injured my good knee the day after surgery on my bad knee. I was sitting in a low chair, and used only my good leg to stand up, and upon standing up felt a pop in the good knee. Haven't got it checked out yet, but its still bothering me a bit. Some luck huh?
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »
I soon learn't not to sit in low chairs if i could help it in those first couple of monmths post op.  I came up with a way of getting up whereby I griped the seat of the chair from the sides and pushed with my arms and when i'd got far enough I then put my feet down and straightened up.

The most fun part was getting in and out of the car in the first 3-4 weeks before my ROM came back.  I used to have to slide onto the back seat and people used to give me some strange stares when we were at the traffic lights.  if I go for acl recon in the next year or so I'll have to go back to those tricks again.

By the time I could get in and out of most chairs easy enough I was still using my hands out of habit for ages even though i didn't need to, even now I somtimes do it without thinking.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »
Now that my right knee is starting to feel normal my left is really screaming.  it's got red and warm a couple of times this week and I really don't like th noises it makes.  The really annoying thing about it is that when I alst expressed concern about it from my pt he told me it was tracking.

I'm going to see my gp and pt this week.  I'll be asking for mris and possibly a referal to my OS.  The thought of having a scope on the left and the right going bad again because of the extra work is realy sickenning.

It's especially annoying because I thought I was finally getting back to normal and was planning my return to karate, which is once again uncertain.

Offline Bazzak

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 03:28:51 PM »
its common , i have had maltracking in left knee after acl tear in right

i think its down to doing less on both legs and you get atrophy in both legs,

i spoke to an ortho about it and he examined my knee did some testing and told me ishould feel a clicking in the back of the knee which i did, he told me it was PFS

and to build my quads & glutes up as much as i can, get on a bike couple of times a day build up gradually the time.

plus start squating etc to try and get meat on your bones see if it sorts out the PF

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »
I've been doing lots of squats, the same on both legs  I wonder if it migth be something to do with the lunges that hs brought on this flare up.  I'm very careful inmaking sure I do them right but i wouldn't rule it out.  It's definately not atrophied, but its not what it was before all this horrible knee business started.

The left knee has been compalining for so long that now I think it is beyond grumbling and is actually in serious trouble.  The word osteoarthritis springs to mind.  The patella makes a small click every time the knee extends and it feels like it is running over something.  The pt  just kept saying that once the right leg was ok the left would follow, but it doesn't look that way.  As scope would be the best thing to clean up the mess inside and maybe a bit of repair work, but that would only mess up my right knee.

i'm going to see if there are any decent suppliments, I've heard Celadrin is quite good.  I've been on glucosamine, chondroitin and cod liver oil for over a year and I don't think they make much difference.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 04:51:32 PM »
Hmmm - I wonder if the squats are contributing? I'm also doing loads of squats and I'm finding stance is crucial. If I'm even a tiny bit off, it aggravates the hell out of the tracking problems in both knees. I imagine the same would apply to lunges. I'd get your PT to check your form on the exercises, and see if that's an issue.

Tracking problems and arthritis can mimic each other pretty closely, so I wouldn't assume the worse about the left knee just yet. My PFS degenerated badly last summer after six days of carrying heavy boxes up and down stairs (moral of the story: get movers next time) and both I and my GP were pretty sure that the arthritis in my left knee had deteriorated. But after a battery of tests and x-rays, it turned out that the arthritis hadn't advanced at all and it was just a chronic flare-up of the tracking problems. Orthotics, lots of *gentle* VMO strengthening and a month-long course of Naproxen did a lot to improve the situation. Interestingly, my PT scaled me back on things like squats and lunges until the problems had settled down, which is why I think they could be a contributing factor if you are experiencing tracking issues.

I think it's definitely worth having the tests to get to the root of the problem. It may not be something you can fix right now (I've had to accept that to do the right thing for my ruptured ACL, I'm going to have to deal with some pain from the PFS) but at least it will either reassure you or give you a route forward. Good luck!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply Snowy.  I got some new orthotics last month after the old ones wore out.  They really make walking and standing a lot more comfortable.  In fact my right knee flet alot better sicne I got them and til this week my left was not complaining quite as much.  The pt has checked the from of my squatts and lunges several times and is happy with the way I do them.  i had mris in both knees last autumn; one ont he right to sheck the mfc where I'd had achrondoplasty, which was good news, and one ont he left because it was complaining and the pt said I should get it scanned.  I was terrified of arthitis then, but it jsut said that ther were no focal defects but the cartliage on the patella was a little irregular and minor thinning on the lfc.  By the time I got the result the knee wasn't too bad and the gp, pt and even OS told me not to worry.  I probably didn't get another flare up until february, but it didn't last two long.  I've had a couple more flare-ups since then and in March was assured that my patella was tracking fine and that the vmo was good.   Earlier this month it wasn't too bad and I started to do more walking, but i've had this flare up this week which bothered me because of the redness and ehat.  I'd dong RICE at the moment and maybe I'll cut out the squatts and lunges for a couple of days.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 11:10:15 AM »
Its very sore this morning, so I'm going to give it lotsof ice  The soreness is basically down the left side of the kneecap, just under the front of the kneecap and a little on the medial side, as well as being in the hamstring as well.  It's still slightly warm and I can feel a bit of fluid on the top left hand corner of the kneecap.

It seems that it is common for the other to feel poorly when its been working so hard, but should it be happenning when the operated leg is actually starting to feel a lot better?  The soreness I've got now is different to theaches and pains it has had for the last few months and it never used to get warm or red.  Funny how things always play up on bank holidays.  Haw anyone else had similar symptoms as a result of over use?

support