Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chondromalacia or Meniscus???  (Read 1141 times)

Offline linzturbo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chondromalacia or Meniscus???
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:34:10 AM »
Hello All!

I have had 2 surgeries on my right knee (ACL reconstruction/meniscus repair) and one surgery on my left knee (articular cartilage repair).  So...I have a history of knee pain. 

I went skiing about a month ago...where I felt a sensation that felt "funny".  But, I continued to ski without any troubles (as I had a knee brace on my right knee).  I did not have any pain going up stairs at this time.  About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that it has become increasingly difficult to go up stairs with my right knee.  I have a sharp pain that is in the center of my knee behind my knee cap.  After exercise, my knee feels stiff....but gets better with rest.  At night...the muscles around my knee ache.  I have also noticed the sharp pain when I had "stooped" down to give one of my children a hug.  It nearly brought me "to my knees". 

I think I have decided to just go ahead and go to my knee doctor to have him check it out...but in the meantime, does anybody have any insight?  I was thinking Chondromalacia....but it seems that it could possibly be meniscus issues again (since this is an injury that I have seen before in this knee). 

Thank you for your input!!!  I appreciate it :)

Offline downunderNZ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Chondromalacia or Meniscus???
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:39:18 AM »
Meniscal tears typically have locking (can't straighten your knee), catching (lesser form of locking), knee gives out, lots of swelling, pain if your straighten your knee then push it further straight (overpressure).  Under the knee cap problems are normally apparent with stairs, after prolonged sitting.      Knee cap problems do well wiht strapping and strengthening - find a New Zealand or Australian trained physio - this is our domain.  Meniscal problems need MRI scanning for diagnosis, and surgery.  Hope this helps!

Offline linzturbo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Chondromalacia or Meniscus???
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:37:11 PM »
I went to the Dr. and will have to get an MRI.  In 2004, I had a microfracture, ACL reconstruction, and a meniscus repair done to this knee.  It looks like my articular cartilage is acting up (maybe from the microfracture?).  Does anyone know anything about the success rate for a microfracture?

Thanks!