Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patellar Tendon Rupture  (Read 2986 times)

Offline SarahHarper

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellar Tendon Rupture
« on: April 04, 2010, 03:23:48 AM »
First a bit of history:
As a high school student I was diagnosed with patella maltracking.  I did therapy and finally decided to have bilateral knee scopes with lateral releases.  The day after surgery I fell and ruptured my L patella tendon.  This rupture was not diagnosed for about 4 weeks.  I went in for emergency repair, and the injury required 2 subsequent repairs before my first surgeons gave up.  I went to a different surgeon, did a massive reconstruct and finally was put on a CPM, and intensive rehab. 

Move on 10 years.  I have had one 'clean up' scope to remove scar tissue.  I now have no knee surgeon (mine retired) and most local doctors have no desire to take on a patient with such a long history. 

My current problem is that the screw at the top of my shin that is holding my tendon to my shin is coming up.  The screw is now sticking out, causing a 'bump' on my leg.  (I found this because I was constantly cutting myself shaving the area). 

I am hesitant to try to have the screw removed by just any ortho surgeon. 

I also have had both of my shoulders tightened up, as they are very loose. 

My question/request is for information about someone who is post patellar tendon repair, as well as suggestions for knee surgeons that have experience with ruptures and also might be decent shoulder guys.
Bilateral Scopes
Bilateral Lateral Release
L Patellar Tendon Rupture
PT Repair x5
Craptastic Knees and Shoulders in General

Offline BadKneeDay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Patellar Tendon Rupture
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 01:52:07 AM »
How far are you wanting to travel?  I can recommend some one in Wilmington, NC... but I don't know anyone in GA.

Offline SarahHarper

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 04:26:25 AM »
I have used surgeons in Durham and in Cary...I was hoping to stay closer to home.  Yet I am finding out that there are very few knee guys with experience in patellar tendon rupture repairs in Georgia. 

I would love a recommendation.
Bilateral Scopes
Bilateral Lateral Release
L Patellar Tendon Rupture
PT Repair x5
Craptastic Knees and Shoulders in General

Offline BadKneeDay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 02:41:07 AM »
Dr. David Esposito at Carolina Sports Medicine and Ortho.  He is very active in the community and treats patients of all ages, but is particularly involved with younger patients that are very play sports and have an active life-style.  Check out his group's web page.  www.carolinasportsmed.com  They even have some tutorial videos and a lot of patient information on the site.  It's worth looking into.  He took two minutes to diagnose my problem that my first ortho couldn't figure out in a year.  I would send my mother to him!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 09:06:56 AM »
Hi

Jjst noticed your posting, but you are on the wrong thread....

Suggest you have a good look at the undermentioned thread, read as many previous posts and post a revised question on this new thread...Lots of buddies to help you ..

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=8389.new;topicseen#new

If you would like to read up any information on the rehab procedure, then please contact me

Take care

John K/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon