Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain control after surgery  (Read 799 times)

Offline ladybiker

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Pain control after surgery
« on: April 03, 2010, 03:22:16 AM »
After tearing the ACL 5 years ago I am finally have it repaired. ( Hopfully in May )  I let it go for a couple of years hoping that I could get away without having surgery but the instability feels like it is getting worse.  I fell at work last month and I believe I stepped wrong and my knee gave out.

Anyways to get back to my question I am REALLY :-\ nervous about pain control after surgery.  I already take perscription meds for a back problem.  I heard about a nerve block today and was wondering if anyone had tried that.  I would really like to avoid taking narcotics if at all possible.

If anyone has some input on the I would really appreciate it.

Thankyou
Jan
Love to ride!!!

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Pain control after surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 02:51:41 AM »
you need to discuss with your doc that you take pain meds regularly for another condition, as it affects your tolerances, and what dosages of things they give you during surgery, as well as what postop meds to give you. My advice is to make sure you cover this topic when you go to schedule your surgery. They can do regional pain blocks for just the limb, which can last a while after the surgery, but you'll most likey still need something beyond that depending on what they do during the surgery. They can use a pain pump with a catheter into the knee, which can deliver anesthetic into the joint for 24-72 hrs postop, but those aren't always covered by insurance, and not all docs will use them either, since some either aren't familiar with them, or won't use them unless the procedure is severe.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline BadKneeDay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Pain control after surgery
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:14:56 AM »
I had the femoral nerve block after ACL surgery.  It was supposed to last for 48 hours, I had areas of numbness for over a week.  I also still (16 month later) have a line of numbness along the inside of the thigh.  Honestly, I don't think I would allow them to give me another one.  But, it may be different for different people.  I recommend narcotics and motrin.  If you are already on pain control and want to avoid narcotics then I assume that you aren't on narcotics for the back?!?  Narcotics are safe when taken as recommended.  It is also important to remember that in the first several days after surgery that you need to take the pills every 4-6 hours.  If you wait until you "need" it, then it will take more of the medicine to overcome the pain threshold, in the first days it is about preventing pain rather than overcomming it.  Forr me, ice was the biggest help.  You need to keep the ice on for 20 minutes every hour.  (or however else your doctor says to apply it).  Your pain WILL get worse when you start therapy.  One thing I discovered was that I took the medicine before I went and usually pushed too far because I wasn't able to feel how much was too much.  I believe that it is better to take the meds several hours before, or right after therapy.  The most important thing is that you follow your doctor's advice.  Speak to him of your concerns about narcotics and he will be able to help you decide the right option for you.  Just make sure that what ever you choose: pills, pump, or nerve block, that you completely understand the risks, pros, and cons before giving consent.  You have the right to have the final say about your body!  Good luck with surgery and recovery!

Jess

Also, it is imparative that your knee doc knows what you take for your back before surgery.  Some meds will increase the risk of hemorrage after surgery so he needs to now what he's up against!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:16:35 AM by BadKneeDay »