Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help Unicompartmental or TKA  (Read 2296 times)

Offline NeedemBoth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help Unicompartmental or TKA
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:00:32 PM »
(ex I hope) Knee Pain Folks,

I am a 62 year old male in excellent health...except for my knees. After 20+ years of pain, physical therapy (it helped a lot in the past not now) injections and now an unloading brace on one knee, it's bone and bone, medial side both knees. The rest of my knees and ACL are fine. I'm struggling with just getting two partials or going for TKA. Of course the advantage of uni-compartmental is faster recovery and much more of your old knee left. However, everyone says one will need a TKA some time out, 10 years!, as the compartmental don't last nearly as long as TKA. And, of course, you have to then go through it all again.

Please help me decided. I'm especially interested in uni-compartmental success stories, say 5 years out (looking at this board, it is hard to see long term folks chiming in..maybe they are happy and have gone on their way?) Thanks for your help!

Allen
Los Gatos CA

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
Re: Help Unicompartmental or TKA
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 03:21:09 AM »
i had a medial partial knee replacement 6 years ago and I have never regretted doing it. When I had surgery I was 27 and very hesitant to jump into a TKR at such a young age. I have had multiple injuries and surgeries and I knew a TKR was in my future, but I wanted to give myself more time. My whole knee was esentially bad, grade 4 in medial compartment and 3 in lateral and patellar compartments.

I think I made a great decision! The PKR was not the most painfull surgery or recovry I had, but it was hard. I was 4 weeks NWB and then progressed to PWB. I took about 4 weeks off of work, I remember not feeling fully back to normal till about 6 months post op.

Unfortuantly now I need to have a TKR because my lateral compartment is also gone now and I have extreme pain daily. I have surgery on November 30, but I am unsure if I will now do a lateral PKR or a TKR. I am 32 so I need to think about the future of my knee.

I have not had any problems what so ever with my PKR and my OS said they can last 20 years, that is why I'm leaning more towards a lateral PKR instead of a total.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Melanie
99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,  LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR

Offline NeedemBoth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 03:46:41 PM »
Melanie,

Thank you for your response. It is helpful and I hope more will chime in with success stories regarding PKR. Good luck with your surgery!!

-Allen-
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:31:11 PM by NeedemBoth »

Offline giblets

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 05:23:34 PM »
The theory is that after x years, you can then go to a TKR after having a uni. Thereby saving yourself from going to a revision knee earlier. Best advice will clearly come from your Doctor.

Offline NeedemBoth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 05:35:03 PM »
The theory is that after x years, you can then go to a TKR after having a uni. Thereby saving yourself from going to a revision knee earlier. Best advice will clearly come from your Doctor.

I've been to some great Doc's in the SF Bay area where I live. Nothing, though, like hearing from the "recipients!" Thanks.

-Allen-

Offline mlbbarry

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 01:50:26 PM »
Melanie,  I was unaware of the ability to have two uni's on the same knee.  So I am assuming your PFJ is good?  Keep us posted on what you decide.  There is a support group thread in the total knee section for individuals to post there recovery and rehab stuff, not limited to just tkr, so far I am the only one scheduled for surgery but am hoping to have more join in as they see it. 

Good luck in you decision making, Monica
88' torn ACL, MCL, LCL repair
92' clean up
95' clean up
96' lateral release
99' meniscus repair, and clean up
2004 meniscus repair, & failed micro fracture attempt
2010 April, arthritis clean up and meniscus repair, poor outcome.
2010 Nov. 8th tkr left knee

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 12:01:50 PM »
Monica,

My PFJ also ha grade 3-4 atrhritis in it. I'm worried if I just have the lateral PKR done then in a few years I'll need to convert it to a total because of that. My PFJ is not painful at this time, but my lateral compartment was ok untill earlier this year and then if went down hill really fast, ithas been grade 3-4 for about 6 years now. My OS says it is up to my, but he thinks the TKR is better.

Melanie
99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,  LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR

support