Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anyone know the best knee orthos/surgeons in the New York City area?  (Read 6714 times)

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
I know this is a UK site, but apparently there are a number of American posters here too.

I think its about time to see someone about knee problems I've been having after my surgery almost a year ago. I don't want to go back to that surgeon, because I feel that he failed me and really made my knee a lot worse.

Anyways, I know someone who is good just north of the City, but the problem is he's not quite good at listening to my problems. So I need help finding a few other good knee orthos/surgeons in the NYC area, if anyone knows.
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Anyone know the best knee orthos/surgeons in the New York City area?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 05:26:40 PM »
What specific kind of problems are you having with your knee? I only know one doctor in NY (he's on this site) so I'm not much help, but I do know the choice of who to have treat a knee problem really depends on what the problem is (or might be), so providing this info might help others be able to recommend someone to you.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:21:45 PM »
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?action=printpage;topic=48219.0

I'm still having trouble recovering my plica surgery I had 10 months ago. I'm still having many of the same problems I talked about in the above link.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 10:26:02 PM »
ahh yeah, i posted in that thread, lol.

try dr. grelsamer. I have no experience with him (or any doc in NYC) but I've visited his website and read some of his posts here and he seems like he has a clue. He provides a lot of info on his website for patient education too.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 10:39:42 PM »
There is a OS at the Hospital for Special Surgery that has a VERY good rep for Patella Femoral issues.  Dr Beth Shubin Stein.  She is not my doc but I have read very good things on here about her.

http://www.hss.edu/physicians_shubin-stein-beth.asp

Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 12:43:11 AM »
Cranker when you say other people have indicated that dr. grelsamer has a clue, do you mean he's dealt with plica surgeries/difficulty in recovering from those?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:52:59 AM by will1129 »

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 02:51:18 AM »
I just meant I think he has a clue about knees and patellas specifically, based on the few posts of his I have read and my perusal of his web site. I don't know anything specifically about what types of things he's dealt with. I only know of one poster in my time here that went to him for an opinion and shared on the board. The poster was a mom who's daughter had a TTT and was having issues in her recovery and her OS suspected it was the hardware. They want to see Dr. Grelsamer and he agreed that the hardware would be the most likely culprit.

My plica recovery was uneventful, but I ultimately ended up traveling to get my root issues addressed and I don't regret it one bit.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 07:32:07 AM »
Ok thanks Cranker. I've read in several places that a plica surgery sometimes uncovers your "root" knee problem somewhere down the road. But hell, I wish they could cut out the middle surgery, cause this one has been hell to deal with for me.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:11:49 PM »
Different doctors have different opinions on plica. My experience with plica has been that it is a symptom, not a cause. I have had problems with my knees forever, since I was a kid. When my knee started locking up and being in ridiculous pain, I thought it was something "new" since i had never experienced anything like it with regards to my knee. So 1 scope later, I had this plica removed (doctor thought i had a meniscus tear) that was purportedly catching in my joint. Ok, cool. No more catching, no more locking.

But the question is, why did my plica just get inflamed? Fine, my acute pain was because of an inflamed plica, but why did it get inflamed in the first place? Was it truly not related to my other knee problems or not?

This is just me but I think plica is just a bs answer to a more complicated problem. Tissue gets inflamed for a reason and the key thing is to get to why that tissue got inflamed in the first place, rather than just cutting away said tissue and leaving the patient to hope whatever else is going on just quiets down on its own. Or perhaps just doesnt cause any more problems since the plica is removed and thus can't get inflamed any more.
Mar '07 - plica excision

Offline 007Cupcake

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 12:17:48 AM »
I highly recommend David Mayman at Hospital for Special Surgery.  He did my TTT two weeks ago.

http://www.hss.edu/physicians_mayman-david.asp
11/19/99 Right TTT/LR
11/19/02 Right knee hardware removal
03/19/10 Left TTT
04/29/10 scheduled right knee scope repair meniscus tear

Offline Potosi

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »
I can only tell you that over nearly four years of dealing with scar tissue/arthrofibrosis after having ACL surgery, that I had to travel out to Vail, CO to find a doctor and therapists who knew how to diagnose and treat knees. I saw over 10 of the "top" doctors in NYC/metro area and they were alll [no help to me. Edited by KNEEguru]

These are doctors who failed me:
Mark Klion, Mt. Sinai
Elliott Hershman, Lennox Hill
Ronald Grelsamer, Mt. Sinai
Riley Williams, HSS
John MacGillivray, HSS
Robert Marx,HSS
Answorth Allenn, HSS
Sabrina Strickland, HSS
Andrew Rosen
John Fulkerson, Hartford
Alexis Chang Colvin, Mt. Sinai

I think Dr. Robert Meislin at NYU-Hospital for Joint Disease might be good to try though.

Also, physical therapy at SportsPT, HSS, and NYU-HJD are not places I would recommend, especially to people with arthrofibrosis

I would also recommend the rheumatologist Dr. Yusef Yazici at NYU-HJD if you are having trouble with inflammation, swelling, stiffness an your orthopedist is not helpful.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:15:12 PM by The KNEEguru »

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 10:24:53 PM »
Uh-oh, I was looking forward to seeing Dr. Grelsamer. What went wrong with your visit to him? Did he not listen to you/fail to disagnose?

Is there a way of knowing whether you have scar tissue/arthrofibrosis after surgery? There is an awful lot of cracking in my knee know after surgery, and the knee feel very unstable when I squat down or lunge forward with it.

[question edited out by KNEEguru]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:15:55 PM by The KNEEguru »

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 106
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 11:18:59 PM »
I have edited part of this conversation. You all know the rules of this bulletin board. Please use your private messaging if you want to discuss the merits or demerits of particular named clinicians - not on a public board.
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 106
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 11:20:14 PM »
This course on arthrofibrosis may answer some of your arthrofibrosis questions - http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/633
--
KNEEguru