Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: bent knee MRI???  (Read 1891 times)

Offline fupaknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
bent knee MRI???
« on: March 30, 2010, 10:38:37 PM »
Is that even possible or neccessary? I told my doctors assistant if it would be better if i had an MRI with my knee bent because that is the only time I ever have a problem with it and he said no because the MRI would detect a tear or scar tissue either way.  my thought is different because 1) MRI's dont always see scar tissue 2) my problem is most likely not any type of tear 3) my knee may always LOOK in place when it is strait because thats what it feels like 4) wouldnt it be a better chance to use mis-alaignment if it is in the position that it is mis-aligned?

If a "bent knee" MRI doesnt even exist than i guess i will just shut up about it but jsut wondering if it does.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: bent knee MRI???
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:38:21 AM »
A consultant raidiologist would be the right person to ask?  It wouldn't surprise me if there were differing schools of thought on the matter.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline ohsobright

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I will not be defined by the things I cannot do.
Re: bent knee MRI???
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »
Hi,
   your knee needs to fit within a piece of equipment called a coil to carry out the MRI scan. (for each body part there is a differnt coil incorporated) The knee has to be fairly straight to fit into it. If someone is unable to straighten their knee enough to fit in the coil a scan can be carried out without it but there is a lot of degradation to the images which may render the exam inadequate.
Hope this helps
14/12/09 slipped, Lt TPF, spiral # tibia, # fibula,# disloc patella,lig ruptures.
17/12/09 ORIF, bone graft.
21/12/09 discharged full leg backslab NWB
30/12/09 staples out full cast NWB.
20/1/10 cast brace NWB
22/2/10 PT
3/3/10 Cast off, PWB
31/3/10 WB with cane
23/6/10 FWB